Author Topic: Book cover characters  (Read 4578 times)

Offline msteck

Book cover characters
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:46:52 AM »
Which characters do you visualize to look most like they are shown on the cover art?

Personally I don't imagine any of the Animorphs looking like the kids that portray them on the covers, with the exception of Rachel. I think the girl that 'plays' her on the covers of most of the early books was a good choice, she blond, pretty and looks like she could also have a crazy/dangerous side to her. Also Marco on the cover of #35 (and most of the later books) could be right, but I think he looks way too young.

Offline Azguard

• God
Re: Book cover characters
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 02:10:23 AM »
i thought rach was hawt!! >.>
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline AniJen

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:33:40 AM »
Hmmm.

Rachel did look like how I thought she would look. I think book 22 is a nice image of Rachel. The others... well, no, actually lol.

How about the TV Series? That's actually the opposite for me. I thought most of the characters on the TV show looked closer to how I imagined them then the book covers, with the exception of Rachel. Besides the fact that that actors were a lot older then the kids they were playing. I think the actress playing Rachel looked and spoke nothing like I imagined Rachel would.

My least favorite book cover character image is probably Jake. The drawing has no presence, no the stature of what Applegate wrote him to have. His face was more blank then intense like the young general he was. Just my opinion.

"What is 'Caps Lock'?"
"Forget 'Caps Lock.'"
"Yes, Prince Jake."

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 02:35:10 AM »
yeah....brooke was OK for rachel, but softer. still, she looked nice. ^^

Offline AniJen

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 02:40:53 AM »
Ya I agree. But it wasn't just about how she looked. Rachel was always discribed as having an intensity. Brooke had no intesity. Its like she was saying someone elses lines that were not hers. At least that what it sounded like to me. But I only watched about 2 1/2 episodes lol.
"What is 'Caps Lock'?"
"Forget 'Caps Lock.'"
"Yes, Prince Jake."

Offline Zana89

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »
I think the kids on the covers do look a lot like I picture the Animorphs. Definitely not exactly, but still a lot.
I agree with msteck that Marco looks young, but then, he was young ;) He was also very short, so it makes sense that a young kid would portray him. But at the same time, he was 13 or so in the beginning, so I assume he was 14 or 15 in #35, so I guess the kid kind of looks a little young.
I think the girl portraying Cassie on the cover of #4 is really good. She looks very young in my opinion and Cassie was only 12 or 13 (I think) then and probably looked a bit younger. When the Controllers find a pair of jeans from one of the Animorphs (not sure if that particular part was in #4, but I think so), they say they belong to a kid of age 10-12, which I assume can only be Cassie or Marco, since they were smaller than the others.

I agree about Rachel, too. She looks a lot like how I think Rachel would look.
The person looking the least like how I imagine them is probably Tobias (or the human Ax). I do NOT think the kid on #13 looks anything like I picture Tobias. Then the kid on #43 is okay, but much too young. But then it's the same kid on the other covers of the Tobias books, right? Maybe not, but it looks that way to me.
I quite like that kid, even though his hair is supposed to be lighter and messier ;)

Jake is okay on the first cover, but other than that... Nah.

Do you know how many of the covers have the same kids portraying the Animorphs?

Oh, and about the TV show. None of them look like how I've pictured them. First of all, the actors were too old and their characters were too old too (the characters were all 16, but the Animorphs were not that old when the whole thing started).
Shawn was 19, Boris was 18, Nadia & Paulo were 20 and Christopher was 21. Brooke was the only one who was 16, like their characters (and even that was too old, since the Animorphs were actually supposed to be like 13 in the beginning).

Second:
* Brooke is a great actress and she's very pretty, but she's way too soft to play Rachel. And she has brown eyes, while Rachel's supposed to have blue. She's also too short ;)
* Shawn is also a good actor, but doesn't fit to play Jake at all, in my opinion. He definitely doesn't look serious enough and, well, enough like a leader or a general, if that makes any sense. He also doesn't have dark hair and brown eyes.
* Chris looks too "tough" to be Tobias. He's also too tall and his hair is too dark.
* Nadia's very pretty, but her hair is too long ;) Her skin is too light and she's too tall. Otherwise she's definitely sweet enough to play Cassie :)
* I love Boris, but not as Marco. I can't explain why exactly, apart from being too tall, but he just does not look like Marco to me. And sure, they made his character funny, but not like Marco.
* Paulo... Sorry, he was just all wrong for Ax.

Man, do I complain a lot! ::)
The actors and actresses of the TV show were great. They just didn't fit to play the Animorphs, in my opinion :-[
On the other hand, I don't think I would've been very satisfied no matter who played them ;)

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 09:28:31 AM »
I like the model for Cassie, she looked just like I pictured her.  #22 Rachel and #45 Marco looked good too.  I didn't like either of the Tobias and Jake models or the later Rachel model.

Offline musicman88

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »
I always thought the Animorphs looked like they did on their first covers.  (Except Marco and Cassie since they had long hair on their first covers)
YOU'RE WINNER !

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:06:37 PM »
Tobias, Jake, and Cassie looked pretty much exactly how I always picture them. Rachel and Marco though not so much. There were similarities, but overall, no.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
Cassie was good..Rachel on cover 22 (the david one) was how I always pictured her.
marco usually looked different and not how I imagined him.
Tobias looked too old in some of them.
And Jake didn't look like he did in my head  :-\ he's hotter in my head haha :P
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »
oh gosh. rachel is -pretty. XD

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:42:30 PM »
I loved how Marco kept changing from being a Philipino to being black, and back and forth.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 11:01:24 PM »
in no particular order:

marco was the most fluctuating.
in he looked nothing similar in the predator vs the extreme

tobias in 49 was probably the most accurate. at least his hair was blond.

rachel was probably the best overall. maybe one or two books didn't fit, but most were accurate.

cassie looked pretty consistent. didn't notice too much of a change.

jake never looked right, slightly better towards the end.

ax.. all i know is that andalites look NOTHING like when i pictured them in the first book.

Offline Starsword

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:11 PM »
I always saw Marco as book five. Longer hair, but particularly the wink. The wink screams Marco.
I always liked the number 17 rachel and then the number 22.
Jake I think was a good choice, but since he was what I first saw, I always pictured him for some reason.
Until then we fight.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:27:05 AM »
Just remembered...anyone else think Jake looked like a girl on the cover of #53?

Oh, and forgot to mention I actually like all the models on MM#4...don't know if they're different or if it's just the lighting, but they look good.

I loved how Marco kept changing from being a Philipino to being black, and back and forth.

What? When did that happen xD

ax.. all i know is that andalites look NOTHING like when i pictured them in the first book.

Ugh, I absolutely hated how they did Ax.  The only place he looked good was the Ellimist Chronicles stepback.  On all the regular covers he had weird eyestalks with those big green eyes.  I was so glad they made Elfangor and Aldrea look better on their covers.