Author Topic: Do you still meet people who have read Animorphs?  (Read 9149 times)

Offline Azguard

• God
Do you still meet people who have read Animorphs?
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »
 You know...after being away from animorphs for a long time, I usually don't bring it up in regular conversation. Even when I talk to people about books I don't mention it that much (compared to when the series was going, I actually made a LOT of friends because i saw them reading animorphs, or because that's what we had in common).

But yesterday, I was hanging out with a friend, and hahahaha...this is funny, but i was talking about how I can't draw...and to prove it I showed her a picture from my camera of the Drode picture I drew....hahaha. I drew the picture for the topic "the Drode" by Estelore. Anyway...I explained that it was something that I drew for Animorphs. Then she goes, "OH! I've read Animorphs". And I was instantly excited (yeah, it doesn't take much. hehe), but it was kewl, especially cuz she was 18 (no offense to Tobiashawk21 and the other youngsters), but I was surprised that someone younger had actually read the series. It just seems like Animorphs is a thing of the past now and nobody after the series ended or as it neared it's ending has read the series.

So...has that happened to you?
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
Re: Do you still meet people who have read Animorphs?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »
Yeah, I've met a couple who've read the series.
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
I don't even know anybody outside RAF who reads animorphs.

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »
I've met a couple that used to read them back when they were big, and the person was younger, but nobody that still reads them now.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »
Yeah, I've met a ton of people who read them back when they were still being published. Sometimes I'll mention it and they'll be all, "Oh! Yeah, I remember Animorphs. Those were those kids books with the ugly kids on the cover turning into Animorphs, right?"

And then I jump on my soap box tirade about how it may be a kids book, book it is not quite as harmless as the Babysitters Club and I am NOT a dork for continuing my obsession. Okay, well...maybe the last part isn't quite true.

I've never met any younger people who've read them, though. Outside of RAF at least.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:00:50 PM »
I met one kid awhile ago who liked them, and then alot of people I know have heard of them or maybe read one book.

Actually my friend and I were reminiscing about the old days the other night and the TV show was brought up, which he actually remembered liking lol cause I got him to watch it cause I already loved the books. And I was like no no no, the tv wasnt good, it was awful, I'll show you good, I'm gonna lend you an Animorphs book. So heres hoping he'll like it, its right up his alley so he should

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:33:52 PM »
My friend was in my writer's craft class last year, and he asked me to edit his story which was about werewolves. as i read the story, he said that the werewolves could speak to each other through thoughts, denoted them by <speach> and at one point caled it thought speach, so i asked him where he got the inspiration for it, and he acted all distant, pretending not to know, so i asked him if he read animorphs and he got all excited.

anyway long story short, i made him join RAF, he's Leonardodavinci, but doesn't come on really anymore
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Touquie

• ShamWOW!
  • God
  • Just Dancing in the Dark
    • Touquie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »
Well some people know that for my birthday my friends bought me a bunch of Animorphs books.  So they would say, "Yeah, I remember that series.  Cool covers" or something along those lines.  I haven't met a real crazed Ani fan for a long long time.
I'm RAFmarried to my Pookie, Charlie ;D

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:26:11 PM »
I met a couple people who'd read Animorphs in college...one good friend of mine read a few back in the day but refuses to finish them because they became ghostwritten, no matter how much I try to convince her  ::) 

...and then I made my boyfriend read them all XD (*points at Pez001 who never ever posts ever x3*)

And YAY Terenia you're alive   :P :happy30:

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I'm sitting on Jesse because he is comfy! XD
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »
Real quick: I'm mildly surprised that those of us who are 18 are consdered "young" for Anifans. Just had to get that out.

As it is, I've met a few people now a days who've read Animorphs, mostly because I've actually drug the books around my schools because I've ran out of new things to read and, well, they still make me smile. However, the most recent lasting relationship I've made is my friendship with a guy who I've never managed to convinced to come on. Other than that, most of my friends have at least a vague understanding of it.
I'm not real anymore. I am an illusion. -Rob Thomas, "I am an Illusion"

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »
I think I know someone on campus who was familiar with the books, but never really got into them. I had a best friend in middle school who had sort of read them. I don't think I know anyone outside RAF that's read them all.

Proud of myself. Last summer I introduced my 15 year old sister to the series and got her hooked. Need to check what book she's on.

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »
My brother has read the entire series along with me, though he's not really obsessed over the series as much anymore. At least not as much as I am. I had a best friend in Elementary school who used to read Animorphs with me a lot too. Me, my brother, and him all got hooked with #1 when it was first released, and when a Scholastic rep did a small presentation for Animorphs at a book fair at our school.

My friend basically ended up buying every book that came out in the beginning and then would let me and my brother read it after he was done. He was basically the reason how I kept up with the books when I was little because I had no job at the time, and my allowance was pretty much next to nothing to afford a book for myself. I can't remember what book he stopped reading at (I think it was sometime after elementary, when we got split to two different high schools), but by that point I already had a part time job and enough money to afford an Animorph book every month. Unfortunately he stopped reading the series altogether by that point because he lost interest.

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I'm sitting on Jesse because he is comfy! XD
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 04:58:17 PM »
...I think my mom's the oldest Anifan I've met, I've just realized...Then again...my mom teaches pre-schoolers.
Though I think she stopped reading them after she was sure they were "suitable for my age". Though she may be stealing them again, since I'm not around and left most of the books at home. Hm... ;D
I'm not real anymore. I am an illusion. -Rob Thomas, "I am an Illusion"

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 05:09:05 PM »
I almost forgot: I met two guys in college last year who were Animorph fans!

I'm assuming everyone knows my site Hirac Delest? Well before it went online, I used it as a cover for a school project of mine so that I could have time to work on it and still get the credit. Anyways, before I launched Hirac Delest for all of you to see, I had to present it to the entire class through a projector once it was complete.

I went through all the details of what Animorphs was about, why I was doing the project, how I assembled all of my content and data through old floppy disks, etc. By the end of it, a lot of people were impressed, but what really surprised me was that when I went back to my seat, the one guy sitting infront of me and the guy sitting next to me turned around and said that they loved Animorphs too! They were both fans of the show, and only one of them had actually read the books. Neither of them actually finished series though and weren't really interested in doing so anymore, but it was still cool to meet some random people that had liked the series as well :P

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:11:15 PM »
 YEah! Animorphs was the fad back way when. i think most people forget that.

And sry traycon, i was just saying that's young because I've never met people that much younger than me who read the series. Maybe cuz I was a little kid back then.

but, yeah, I think we tend to forget that when you don't have anyone to talk about it with, you don't really talk about Animorphs. I certainly thought I was done with Animorphs...til I got on here. This place is a gold mine!
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?