Author Topic: Andalite ranks  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Fwahm

Andalite ranks
« on: December 05, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »
There were quite a few ranks for Andalites thrown out in the series, and most of their statuses were self explanatory.  Captain-Prince, which is higher than War-Prince, which is higher than Prince, which is higher than Warrior, which is higher than Aristh.

However, what about Force-Commander?  The only example is Galuit from book 18, and it is obviously a very high ranking, since he was in charge of the Andalite's entire operation on Leera.

Do you think it would be higher or lower than Captain-Prince? 

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Re: Andalite ranks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
I think there are a few ranks that must fall outside the main hierarchical system.

Arbat, for example, was an Apex level intelligence officer or something.  Where does that fit?  Simply put, I think it doesn't, because it's simply a different profession than the main military.

Same with First Officer and Tactical Officer, which are supporting positions within a ship, and probably don't fit in amongst aristh and Warrior and so on.  In cases like that, they may have a military rank in addition to their position within the ship.  Perhaps the First Officer is also a Prince?  I don't really know, mind you, I'm just guessing.  This is just what would make sense to me.

Force-Commander may be the same sort of thing, though.  He was directing the forces on a planet, which is fairly different from the standard Andalite tactics of war in space.  It could be that such positions are just outside the system.

Good question, though.  As you can probably tell, I've thought about this before.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »
I've never heard of Captain-Prince. Captain seems to be the highest ranking officer on a Dome Ship. Force Commander and Tactical Officer I'm thinking are like the right hand men of the Captain. They spend time on the bridge, and work directly under him. War Prince is higher than Prince, and experience may be what separates the two. War Princes may be in more battles and proven their worth more than Princes, though their duties may still be similar since they're both called Princes.

Then there are Warriors and Arisths.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Fwahm

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
Asculan in book 54 was mentioned to be a Captain-Prince.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 07:08:51 PM »
I'm kind of with Dinosaur--I think there's like an overall ranking system, and then more a microcosmic rank that arbitrates what the Andalite's position on his ship or with his unit is. Having said that, I think Warriors are kind of foot soldiers, and then Princes and War-princes are like lieutenants and then commanders. But Prince is sort of a general rank, and then the prefix specifies what job they have. Captain-prince, tactic-prince, Doctor-Prince, etc.

Of course this whole system is just vague enough that you can design any system around it that you want. Those are just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:13:58 PM by anijen21 »
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »
I think Prince is more used as an IN CHARGE name Captain Prince is more like saying this PRINCE is the Captain. while there may be others who are Prince in the same ship but they are in charge of other things.

===============================================

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 09:53:18 AM »
I think there are a few ranks that must fall outside the main hierarchical system.

Arbat, for example, was an Apex level intelligence officer or something.  Where does that fit?  Simply put, I think it doesn't, because it's simply a different profession than the main military.

Same with First Officer and Tactical Officer, which are supporting positions within a ship, and probably don't fit in amongst aristh and Warrior and so on.  In cases like that, they may have a military rank in addition to their position within the ship.  Perhaps the First Officer is also a Prince?  I don't really know, mind you, I'm just guessing.  This is just what would make sense to me.

Force-Commander may be the same sort of thing, though.  He was directing the forces on a planet, which is fairly different from the standard Andalite tactics of war in space.  It could be that such positions are just outside the system.

Good question, though.  As you can probably tell, I've thought about this before.

IMHO, the rank of the Andalite head of government should be King, since that is what we call the head of a monarchical government on Earth, the type of system that has Princes.