Author Topic: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar  (Read 199287 times)

Offline AmberKatira

• Disciple of Protein Purification and Pillar of Condescension
  • Jr. Xtreme Member
Re: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar
« Reply #1380 on: July 11, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »
He nodded at Ewa, "You seem to be doing pretty well for coming from a place with no aliens. Most beings are a bit more shocked by the presence of other life. Unless... this isn't your first time among beings from other planets, is it?" He smiled slyly, "I'd think this bar should count as seeing something else."
"It certainly does," she agreed.  Ewa was beginning to feel a warm glow, and while she knew that was a sign she should probably watch what she was drinking, it was much too pleasant a feeling to muddy with such drab things as doubt and discomfort.  She was pleased to note that she still had a good third of her glass left.  I should keep working on that.

"One of the wonderful things about my time is we can see and talk about aliens all the time, even though we've never really met any.  People spend all day reading or writing books, playing games, going to movies, dressing up--just because they're so fascinated with aliens.  Or magic.  Or tennis.  Or anything really, whether or not it's really real.  It's all very human of course, there's really no way of getting away from that when all you've got for inspiration is human.  But they all try, they really do.  And sometimes it's extraordinary.

"So if you're growing up in all that, your whole life, I think it's hard not to believe--even the things you "know" can't be true.  If it all is that much a part of your life, it can't really surprise you if one day you wake up and find it's all true."

Ewa looked down at the glass between her hands, slowly rotating it back and forth.  I think that's a bit more than I was thinking... It maybe ran away from her near the end and she forgot who she was supposed to be talking about.  That's very human too though.  And I'm from an alternate universe, she thought proudly.

"Where I'm from Yeerks and Andalites only appear in books.  So maybe someone with a bit more hands-on experience ought to explain to me and Van," she chimed in after her first companion commented.

Ogreon bolted around the bar as the cyborg walked out. Then he bolted back in and ran up to Van.

"That was close, knah? Did it do anything to you?"

"Did who do what?"  Ewa began scanning the bar more sharply, but she still didn't see anything that looked malicious.... or..... overly malicious.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:22:48 PM by AmberKatira »
Work is for the weak

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #1381 on: July 12, 2011, 12:30:14 AM »
Al listened as Van spoke. "Wait, so you're from a Federation headquartered on Earth? And you two," he said, turning to Ewa and Jasper, "are both from Earth itself." He laughed, "That planet might be an even stronger tie to this place than the Yeerk-Andalite thing."

As Ogreon ran up, Al stuck out his hand and smiled disarmingly, "Hey. I'm Al. Pleased to meet'cha. What, exactly, seems to be the problem? Did who do what?" He finished off both of his drinks, and waved to the bartender for another of the Beryllian one. He was starting to feel tipsy...

As Ewa spoke, he smiled. "You really do paint a good picture of humans in that time period. I've just never taken the time to get really acquainted with them. With so many species and so many beings and cultures and viewpoints and different methods of enjoyment, I guess I've never really taken the time to get to know any one all that well." He winked, "If what you're saying is right, I might like to really get into some older works of literature. I may even start with Earth. But..."

He looked around the table, "Yeerks and Andalites only appearing in books... that's one that I haven't heard here yet. I can't imagine being thrust into a world where things I'd only read about were suddenly as real as you or me." He leaned over and gently prodded Jasper's cheek, then laughed. "Alright, children, gather 'round, I guess it's story time."

"From what I've been able to gather, the Andalites" he indicated Efaen and Claxter, "have been the major influence in this area for a long time. Not too terribly long ago, the Yeerks began to rise as well. They're these little creatures that can control the actions of other intelligent beings by physically... I guess they'd 'squirm' their way inside. They're out to capture and control the bodies of every being in the universe... or something. So they expand, and they keep taking over planet after planet, species after species."

The bartender set his drink in front of him. "Thanks," he said, before continuing, "And the Andalites seem to have taken it on themselves to stop that from happening, so they try to match the Yeerks at every turn, keep their takeover from happening, save the galaxy, the whole shebang. From what I've seen, the Andalites put their best hoof forward, and try to keep up appearances, but it looks like they're losing. Ever since the battle in the Anati system, I get the feeling that it's even more desperate than it seems. They lost their whole main fleet, I think. The Visser in charge of that was heavily rewarded."

"There're stories, though, about some of the planets fighting back. Earth, actually, has one of the best. Apparently a small band of human guerrilla fighters with Andalite technology managed to drive the Yeerks away. Humans and Andalites have started working together since then. Still looks pretty desperate, just going off of what I've seen, but there's still hope."

He looked around the table, "But that's kind of a grim topic." He looked at Jasper, "Is that the same for you? Or are we just a wacky mix here?"

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #1382 on: July 12, 2011, 01:30:31 AM »
Their attention had been stolen from the elephant carving to the conversation by the poke on the face. That was.. odd, but whatever.

Al seemed to be totally disregarding the fact that they were trying to keep a low profile here. Of course, they hadn't explicitly said that they were, but..

<<How do I answer? What do I say?>> Jasper said, somewhat concerned on behalf of his friend. Sapttus seemed a bit more worried, though still in control of his composure.
<<No big deal, I'll handle this.>>

"That's very close, but not quite, the way it's been told in my timeline. For example - "

<<Whoa, whoa, whoa... did he just say 'human' guerrilla fighters?!>> Jasper shouted. <<Do you think ->>
<<Do I think that he has any idea what anything is like in our particular variety of Earth? Not really. Do I think the Andalite Bandits are human? ... I've considered it before, what with so many rumors floating about. But it's just unreasonable. Possible, but not likely.>>
<<Yeah, but... he got everything else right, didn't he?>>
<<That's hardly a fair statement. He's obviously been fed all the Anti-Yeerk propoganda like the rest of the universe. No, I don't agree with many of the things my kind has done, but regardless...>>
<<You don't agree with what he's been taught either, huh?>>
<<I don't. You know as well as I do that the Andalites aren't the heroes they've been made out to be, either. There is nothing black and white about anything regarding our two kinds.>>
Jasper laughed. <<You can say that again.>>

The two had just sat there, unresponsive for a short moment during their little debate. Sapttus blinked, unsure where he'd left off.

"I'm sorry, a ... sudden thought occured to me. But as I was saying..."

<<Um, what *were* we saying?>>
<<Shut up, I'm talking.>>

"Perhaps the main difference between Al's rendition and our reality is the fact that the Yeerks still have a mentionable presence on Earth."

<<Mentionable? Really??>> Jasper said.

"But over all, I think that 'wacky bunch' would be an appropriate label." He says with a grin.

<<Oh, hey... dd you notice this crack on the table? It's so.. weird...>>
<<...No.... I uh.. hadn't.>> Jasper said, not seeing the relevance.

There wasn't any.

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #1383 on: July 12, 2011, 08:23:20 AM »
|OGREON

While he was tlking to Van, Ewa and another being named Al asked what he was referring to.

"Oh, greetings Al. I am Ambassador Ogreon of the Alliance starship Urtahn. I was referring to a cyborg andalite that just left the building. Did he inject any of you with tubules?"
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #1384 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »
"Are we absolutely sure your ship hasn't been tampered with, Illim?" Corliss asks overhead.  "I want to make sure my own ship is set to return home without any catches, and that means talking to Salem.  Not that the bastard's likely to give a straight answer.  Terenia, could you have Mike help you find a way to contact Salem from here?  I don't even want to risk you confronting him in person."

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #1385 on: July 12, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »
"Yeah," Terenia says, unclipping Mike's comm link. "What exactly do you want me to say? Like you said, he isn't likely to come clean. I'd feel better if I could have a Dracon on him." She scans through Mike's memories of Corliss' previous confrontation with Salem, snorting in disgust at the trader's slippery arrogance. She doesn't say it out loud, but she would feel better if she could just use a Dracon on him and be done with it.

Her eyes flicker to Illim, "Corliss is right, we have no way of knowing whether your ship has been tampered with too."

<<I will be fine,>> Efaen says to Claxter, her stalk eyes watching him go. A heavy sigh escapes her nose slits. Even the cowardly warrior has left the bar now, and only her orders are standing in the way of her access to the rebellion. Her many fingers drum on the countertop idly as she watches the various patrons. This is foolish, she thinks. Never before had she thought to question a prince's orders, but she still has suspicions as to where Prince Ossanlin's true loyalties were. If she had not only just been reinstated, she may even contemplate going against her orders, as Claxter had. As it were, she had no choice but to remain and listen to conversations that held no interest to her. Her face settles into an expression of frustration as she waits for her Prince to return.

Zorish's eyes flicker nervously to the Skimmer as he waits for Prince Ossanlin to respond to his offer.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #1386 on: July 12, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »
Claxter left the bar, looking for Theta. He wondered where the cyborg might have gone, and decided to search the treeline.

The controller kept walking towards the bar, eventually passing another controller, and giving a slight not of acknowledgement. Once he entered, he found the place buzzing with various lifeforms. He found a place at the bar, sat in a relaxed position facing the crowd, and ordered some whiskey. As he drank, he took in the scenery.

<<Well, there is that thing you warned Serid about, Illim. I don't suppose Salem could get past that, as he's not a controller.>> Derrel said, remembering the gleet biofilter, but not the name of it.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #1387 on: July 12, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »
Efaen notes the unknown human take a seat near her. She maintains her current position, staring straight ahead over the bar counter, giving him a once-over with a single stalk eye. Normally she would ignore him entirely, but his Imperial uniform is more than a little disconcerting, and unlike Zorish, she does not recognize this man. Her mind trails back to the Imperials that had attempted to retrieve Terenia when she first went missing, and to the transmission she herself had sent out prior to destroying Terenia's ship.

A nervous hand finds comfort on her Shredder as she watches him. Her tail twitches uneasily. By himself, he is no threat, but one Imperial could mean more to come.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #1388 on: July 12, 2011, 02:55:33 PM »
The controller notices he's being watched, and gives the Andalite a friendly wave. Wherever he's from, he's either very good at hiding distaste for Andalites, or doesn't see Andalites as an enemy. He also doesn't have a visible weapon on him, and his uniform is too tight to be hiding much.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #1389 on: July 12, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »
"Have Salem prove to me that every trace of his bizarrely untraceable technology is gone from my ship," Corliss replies.  "I can't leave with a trace on the Skimmer.  Illim, can you check to see if that weird heat signature is still popping up?"

<<I, uh, reckon I can try to guide you through the comm encryption process,>> Mike offers quietly.

Offline AmberKatira

• Disciple of Protein Purification and Pillar of Condescension
  • Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #1390 on: July 12, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »
Ewa turned her attention back to Ogreon, her brows drawing down in puzzlement.  The mechanoid looking Andalite?  "He just stood there."  She made a vague motion with her hand.  "Couldn't have been less threatening."  Especially given the standard for that here.

Comforted by the lack of immediate alarm, Ewa propped her chin on her hand and let her head loll slightly to the side.  It's strange how much different things look when you just change the angle a bit.  She watched Jasper struggle to get a few words out about his Earth.  Poor guy.  Looks like he's arguing with himself.  Must have a lot of issues with his Earth, or what Al was saying maybe.

"'Mentionable presence'?" she asked archly.  "Mr. Al here tells us about an interplanetary, interspecies war, and you say that's about the same as your world?  I thought you were from Texas."  She shakes her head in mock disappointment.  Also interesting to do at an angle.  Maybe I should try the other way.  She switches hands so she can look at him from the other angle.  "Are you maybe one of these human guerrilla fighters?  I guess this is probably not the best place for that sort of secret to come out."

Looking down at her drink, Ewa was somewhat puzzled to find that her glass was very close to thinking about being empty.  She eyed Al's second glass speculatively.  Having another one would probably be too much.... if I had the whole thing.... actually maybe I should have some food.  When was the last time I had food?

She pulls her gaze up from Al's drink to meet his eyes.  "Do you think your friend would  mind much if we got something to snack on too?  I seem to be lacking your stamina when it comes to these things."  She raises her glass in a half-toast.
Work is for the weak

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #1391 on: July 13, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
Almost soundlessly a patite human enters wearing a space suit casting nervous glances everywhere at the strange inhabitant he quietly sits down and mutters something about a cheeseburger

((I really dont want to read through this whole thread so I'm gonna ask you guys to help me up to speed))
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #1392 on: July 13, 2011, 04:18:20 AM »
~Ossanlin~

Ossanlin frowns and glances at Serid with a stalk eye.  <<Indeed it is an odd place, but do not allow your experiences with Illim to dull your instincts on this matter.  This Sub-Visser realizes he's come to this out of the way place without backup and without friends.  He's outgunned, perhaps not what he expected, but he's attempting to adapt and salvage his situation before he is incarcerated or destroyed.  His offer to drink is merely an attempt at self-preservation, nothing more.>>

Ossanlin gestures again with his Shredder.  <Seeing that you're the one who drew your weapon unprovoked and before anyone else, perhaps you should disengage your Dracon's power cell and place it in one of that convenient uniform's pockets hmm?>  Ossanlin begins to move back toward the bar, keeping the alternate Tamora and Zorish fully in sight, the Shredder covering the Skimmer now moving to cover the Imperial.

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ____________

~Rathien~

Rathien grimaces a bit behind Salem's back.  Of course he'd try every little thing to get under Rathien's skin.  Now he had a choice between being left hanging at the bar, or following the 'human' out the door like a wayward puppy.  He doesn't bother to speak as Salem leaves and merely sits at the bar for a few seconds before glancing over at the table that the War-Prince had glanced at earlier when mentioning Al.  Perhaps this was a time for information-gathering.  It seems the least-demeaning of Rathien's options, so he stands, picking up a the barstool as he does so, and heads towards the table in question.

He smiles and sets the stool at one side, looking over the table's occupants before sitting down himself.  One of these creatures must be Al.  The suited human male still seems the most-likely culprit, but that really didn't mean much when it came to that disturbing artificial construct.  There's a human that, given all likelihoods is a controller...a female that looks almost human, and a strange insectoid-looking creature.

"Afternoon mera, mind if I join you?"  He looks around the table grinning again, his fangs showing through the wide smile clearly.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:36:01 AM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #1393 on: July 13, 2011, 07:05:16 AM »
Illim swings around in the seat, grasping the console to stop his spinning. "Yeah, I'll check on the heat signature," he says. "You're right, there's no way to know if Salem's tampered with it, but I'd be surprised if he knew it was my ship, first of all. And secondly, there's a Gleet Biofilter installed in the doorway, so it wouldn't be impossible for him to bypass it, but difficult."

He sorts through the holoscreen's menus until he comes to the report he's looking for. Squinting, he frowns. "The heat signature is very, very faint. Maybe it's nothing, just a blip. It's hard to tell," he tells Corliss. "But... there's a chance whatever happened to the ship is still in effect."

Serid frowns in return as he turns to follow Ossanlin. <<He is an officer of the Empire; he is certainly different from Illim. I understand that. I believe it remains a valid observation, however, sir, that most individuals of his rank and allegiance would not stoop to dining with an Andalite for any occasion or purpose. Blasphemous as it may sound, we are not the only race with its own sense of honor.>>

He lowers his head, wondering if he has spoken out too much. The War Prince may be unorthodox in some ways, but he certainly would not agree with all of Serid's ideas. He adds, <<The reason I mention this is that it demonstrates he has a higher priority--at least at the moment--than carrying out a microcosm of the war here; he is searching for information, first and foremost.>>
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #1394 on: July 13, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »
((Mod note: Hi BA, just a couple of things--please keep out of character (OOC) thoughts to the GESB: OOC thread, and please read the rules in the OOC thread's first post before beginning.  That's located here: http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=6830.0

You might want to add a bit more description to your character--a petite human in a spacesuit doesn't tell us much; and try to beef up your posts, without using a big run-on sentence.  We can help you with that, if you'd like.  As for getting you up to speed, we can post where our characters are all situated in the OOC thread.  Otherwise have a drink, keep good writing and character development in mind, and enjoy the GESB!))

"Right, forgot you've got a BioFilter in your ship," Corliss muses.  "Nice setup for a stolen craft, mate.  Hell, if the signal's faint, it could still be anything.  I hate this foreign technology, it's insidious.  Mike, I know you can hear me, are you all right with getting the comm set up?"

<<Tell him yes, already, Christ,>> Mike urges Terenia.