Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 224233 times)

Offline pyrebird

• Please, pet the Anthony!
    • DeviantART
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #2310 on: May 17, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
Hey, now that you know I'm a girl, you can RAFcrush on me with less awkwardity!

Yes, I made up a word, no I'm not fixing it. And, when Shenmue said the Oligarchy is "made up of a bunch of powerful men of various races", we're just going by that definition loosely. Alien genders get so weird anyways, we'll just say "men" and move on. Haha.
I am a little Meglet, I came here to roleplay. And armed with walls of text here, I'm ready to go play!
Meglet, Meglet, Meglet! She came here to roleplay! And with these walls of text here, she'll go and post away!

[Congratulations to weathel for correctly guessing that it was the Dreidel Song!]

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #2311 on: May 17, 2011, 10:12:31 PM »
Hey, I saw an automaticated sanitizer dispensorator today! :P no worries dude
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline pyrebird

• DeviantART
« Reply #2312 on: May 17, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
I probably should post, but at the same time, I'm thinking, hmm, so, where's the sick bay?

At least Van no longer needs to barf. Ewa's lovely face (ahem) must have cured him! Now all Ogreon needs to do is cure his legs. Yay!

(It's a miracle- he can walk!)
I am a little Meglet, I came here to roleplay. And armed with walls of text here, I'm ready to go play!
Meglet, Meglet, Meglet! She came here to roleplay! And with these walls of text here, she'll go and post away!

[Congratulations to weathel for correctly guessing that it was the Dreidel Song!]

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2313 on: May 17, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »
No problem, the computer will take us there. :)

Offline pyrebird

• DeviantART
« Reply #2314 on: May 17, 2011, 11:28:51 PM »
I guess we can assume that whenever Van's thinking, it's entirely in his native language. I think the language explanation will be given in its own time. At some point. Especially where honorifics are concerned. There are too many in his native tongue!

I expect that after the elevator-thing explanation, Van's going to pepper Ogreon with questions ALL DAY LONG. Heheheheh. :D

It's much more fun to get information that way, in-character, instead of coming here! XD'

EDIT: AmberKatira, I think Van might ask Ewa about where she's from in... other circumstances. Not anything racy, just without Ogreon around. That, and there will be significantly more romancing. He likes that. It will come, believe me~

Slap him, if you will, he's used to that, too.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:30:52 PM by pyrebird »

Offline AmberKatira

• Disciple of Protein Purification and Pillar of Condescension
  • Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #2315 on: May 17, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »
Ewa's pretty happy with the flirting at the moment--it's the strongest interaction she has to judge her interactions with.  That might end up getting pretty funny though.... without other people around to react and let her know when he starts crossing lines, she's not going to be sure of where those lines are..... haha >.< 

Well, at least it should be pretty entertaining ^_^
Work is for the weak

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2316 on: May 18, 2011, 12:29:58 AM »
Ogreon feels like the proud centipede owner of two newborn babies right about now! :P

Post Merged: May 18, 2011, 12:33:09 AM
Btw, Myitt you can add GESB: Urtahn to the list of secondary links.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:33:09 AM by Cream-Rukh(Caleb) »

Offline pyrebird

• DeviantART
« Reply #2317 on: May 18, 2011, 01:02:48 AM »
I think you just blew Van's mind out.

Right now, usable gravitic percentages are still at a low where Van's from, as trying to warp at too high a level tends to tear ships apart. Actually, gravitic technology is fairly well-developed, but it's expensive to produce and maintain properly. As stated earlier (I think), gravitic warp drives and engine ducts don't break often. So, at they won't break the break once you've paid for the installation.

And, what Van noted about freighters is pretty much how the shipping industry works. While mining, manufacture, transport, and development are big moneymakers, almost nobody wants to do the boring job of shipping goods. Freighters are by no means fragile, exactly, but their goods can be sensitive to warp-related fluctuations and disturbances.

Thus, freighters tend to travel on programmed routes in conventional space, relying on specific warp-safe gates to move great distances when required. They also have one of the stupidest bare-bones artificial intelligences in existence piloting them. Freighters can't tolerate their route being blocked in any way, shape, or form. And they have no flexibility to try altering their routes once blocked, so they inanely ask that ships blocking their passage to, "Please-move. You are obstructingmyroute. I needto make my delivery in a timelymanner. Please-move..." And they repeat this terrible recording ad-nauseam.

They also can't seem to tell the difference between ships blocking their way from space debris. Thankfully, once the freighter concludes that it must (pathetically) shoot the obstruction, it usually gets cleared out of the way. Unless said space debris really is too, uh, solid to destroy easily.

The Shipping and Transit authorities tend to be called in those sorts of cases. They get called so often that they have an automated system you can go through if a freighter is stuck and won't move. Freighters themselves eventually make calls if they're stuck for over ten minutes. On very rare occasions, the object in the freighter's way is an abandoned drifter colonyship. And those ships look just as large and clumsy as they sound... In fact, even freighters can't compete with the pragmatic utilitarian fugliness of drifter ships.

Artificial intelligence, except for one huge exception, is kind of... lame where Van's from. But I'll end my rant here. XD
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:05:34 AM by pyrebird »

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2318 on: May 18, 2011, 01:19:29 AM »

In the timely words of Myitt and her friends...*nerd love*

I definitely enjoyed that! I love seeing that you have a back story to your characters!

The Alliance is quite a rarity actually. It was founded in another universe on October 17, 2000. It was founded by a 5 year old boy(Long story)with the intelligence of one of the most advanced species in the Milky Way - the Reptilinod. It's hard to explain, but suffice it to say that's precisely because he was half Reptilinod.

Anyway, with his brain-power, he was able to create a Time machine. He wanted to save his parents from the fire that killed them. In the end he painfully decided against it because if he saved them, it would ruin the amazing thing that he'd done — built the first actual time machine. And at 4 years of age no less.(Mary-Sue much? No worries, he's not like that any more. He's Caleb, my charie in Free-for-All. He used to be Omnipotent because of a camouflage-pill he accidentally exposed to some kind of radiation to make it SUPERPILL! lol. Mary-Sue overload...) so he went back to his life.

He created his first starship, the SS Scimitar. Back then there was no Alliance, nothing like that. Just the human race to guide along their path to interstellar flight. So nothing changed much. Until AFTER the Yeerk war.

Then, knowing alien races existed, he invented the SETI box; a small box 1/500th the size of a SETI radio telescope, but a hundred times more powerful. Scanning, he discovered the existence of the Clangst, the Flurat, the Cansrians, etc. Fastforwarding time, fastforwarding time...ah yes, here we go.

So now there were many threats in the Galaxy. A new cyborg race had shown up. Many species from closer to the Galactic Core were aggressive(They are now known as the Core Aggressors). And a few other threats. So, Caleb tried to get a bunch of species to create a bond of protection and mutual scientific benefit. It ended up being eight races — Human, Andalite, Hork-Bajir, Clangst, Remlan, Zyls, Flurat, and Cansrians(The last two had been enemies for a Long time.).

With so many species working together to explore the galaxy and protect the Alliance, Caleb decided others would need starships. The SS Scimitar was handed off to someone, now as the GAI Scimitar(Galactic Alliance Influence), and the Scimitar class starship was mass produced. Caleb created a new ship for himself, the GAI Explorer, a much larger ship with two separable sections. Eventually he didn't want such aarge starship, so that went the way of the Scimitar, being mass produced and replaced by the GAI Diplocaulus.

Fastforwarding time, fastforwarding time...okay, so much much later, the Diplocaulus is pretty much obsolete. Now Caleb captains the mighty, "Android Starship" UAI Prodigy. It I'd the only sentient starship in Astrofleet. But all the others have extremely sophisticated computers too, because Caleb is a Mary-Sue. HEY THAT RHYMES!!!

I hope you found this rant enjoyable and informative.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:29:00 PM by Cream-Rukh(Caleb) »

Offline pyrebird

• DeviantART
« Reply #2319 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:42 AM »
Of note, Van's from what could be called an alternate version of this universe. First contact happened in 2014, so hey! We could be living there and not know it! .... kidding. :P

Actually, I have a couple of stories that experience almost constant world-building. One of them is the one that Van's from, and the other is a high fantasy sort of place that I occasionally bother Shenmue about, called "Arcturia" for now. I am trying really hard not to rant too long. Hahahaha. As interesting and fun as it is...

And, how'd Caleb end up half Reptilinoid at a time before the Yeerk war(s), before alien species became commonly known?

EDIT: after that update... DUDE. That is an AWESOME rant.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:38:07 AM by pyrebird »

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2320 on: May 18, 2011, 01:36:59 AM »
Now THAT is an interesting story...why don't I PM you so I don't take up space on. The OOC. :P

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2321 on: May 18, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
When you find out that many of the universes in the Bar have loose connections to one another by coincidence, you start to really wonder if the GESB IS a multi-dimensional Eldritch abomination pulling universes together for its own amusement. Also note that the concept of "Exactly who the hell Mar is or even whether he's called Mar" changes drastically depending on what universe he's in. This is because Highest are an odd bunch, and because Mar spreads his Belief array largely by being transient and incarnating a lot. (He can't get direct worship on a large scale anywhere.)

This is why Van knows about one Mar, and Elayne has a vague idea of another (the one human mortal Mar actually happens to remember). Whether human mortal GESB Mar knows about Van's mortal Mar....weeelll....t hat's where the fun starts. XP

Gender is also fun---here at Pyrebird and Shenmue Roleplay Canon Incorporated, we enjoy making fun of the petty human notion that there have to be two genders or even that you have to be one or the other. Beryllians luckily do happen to come in male and female---we just can't be sure of the actual parts for that (plants are male and female >:3 ) and no human could tell the difference. Van takes...ehrm....hil arious, disturbing advantage of this.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:48:56 PM by Shenmue654 »

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2322 on: May 18, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
EDIT: after that update... DUDE. That is an AWESOME rant.

;D I'm a nerd, it's what I do best! :P Thanks!

Edited it again. The date is October 17, 2000. I did that on purpose...OCTOber. The Alliance was founded by EIGHT species in OCTOber. :)

The alliance motto when it was the GALACTIC Alliance Influence was "De Octo Ingreditur Vinculum", which is roughly translated "From eight Comes one Bond". Now that its the Universal Alliance Influence, the motto is "Foederatae Universi", but whatever. :P
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:31:36 PM by Cream-Rukh(Caleb) »

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #2323 on: May 19, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
Btw, Myitt you can add GESB: Urtahn to the list of secondary links.

Done! :)

Also guys, because I am convinced I'm slightly mad, I'm helping my friend Debbie drive 18 hours to Houston in the next couple of days.  So I can hang out with her and the Houston peeps.  Again. :P

So my responses might be a bit sparse this weekend, just FYI.  Wooo, road trip!

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #2324 on: May 19, 2011, 09:09:19 AM »
Whoa, seriously? Wow, glad I'm in the loop on this one. That's awesome!

Also, I'm making a very minor retcon- Salem shouldn't have recognized Corliss as Corliss.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story