Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 224263 times)

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #2085 on: May 02, 2011, 06:40:26 PM »
Ryno, if you're going to say your character has these abilities, you can't stop people from saying they have the ability to see him. It's a give-and-take here.

If your character is too powerful for the bar's environment and its other characters, that constitutes godmodding. That's pretty solidly against the rules (and the spirit) of the GESB.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:42:43 PM by Alukitator »

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #2086 on: May 02, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »
Bin Laden is dead, or so we think.  What's this I smell?  Conspiracy theory?  nah...couldn't be.
XD

On a semi-related note...one of my friends professed a desire that they had brought him back alive and paraded him through cities in an open cage so that we could stone him in proper extremist-Islam fashion.  :p
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:46:50 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Nero's Fury

• "Soldier's of Vengence unite!"
  • Xtreme Member
  • JUGGALO 4 LIFE
« Reply #2087 on: May 02, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
Lol wow. I was surprised to find it finally happened.

And well in all honesty I dont have an issue. I was just like wow lol Im having him stay in motion to break the ''barrier'' into level 2 of his power, by having him move severely fast right now but he was immediately able to find him so i just was saying he has to be absolutely an incredible machine. Thats wat was with the lols n stuff cuz i was like dang. Okaru isnt the only one best at something
"When you live life without regrets, the obvious result is happiness!" - Damien Steele

R.I.P Big Brother...

[/img]

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2088 on: May 02, 2011, 07:39:47 PM »
Maybe the problem is that you have a character that actually has power levels and fights in DBZ fashion in a roleplay that is clearly not made for such battles.
 ::)

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2089 on: May 02, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
I don't think Ryno can make a character that doesn't have DBZ level power or something. Everything he has needs to be magnitudes better than normal.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #2090 on: May 02, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
Yeah, Ryno, what Chad and T said. You might have more fun in this RP- and people might have more fun with you- if you designed characters to fit in, rather than trying to make them able to beat everyone else. Winning fights is not at all what the bar is about.

Salem's Story

Offline Nero's Fury

• Xtreme Member
  • JUGGALO 4 LIFE
« Reply #2091 on: May 02, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »
I take no offense nor form any argument to the clearly true statements of my having more powerful characters. I love the idea of them. However this idea is more of an...ascended state? Kinda like what Ossanlin does. The backstory was he was trained to be the next Battousai, then he was seen as a harbinger of Death by the gods and they told him of this. He said that he could prove that he could fight for good, and he accomplished it. Therefore they asked him what would he like in return for their wrongly justified treatment. He said as a joke i dont know make me even faster! So they did. He doesnt get stronger. More like he reaches a state where he is just...like lol idk his entire essence becomes ''speed'' if that makes sense? My idea was when he ascends he can only keep himself sustained for a maximum of 10 minutes, or risk death. However during that time, he literally just is ''speed''. Nothing is faster i guess kinda was the idea then I toned it down to just unnatural velocities. Idk! Im a fighter in (...)

Post Merged: May 02, 2011, 09:47:26 PM
Rl so i just usually seem to ''breed'' fighter offspring. Aka my charies. Thats why i made one who is a fighter, but a much easier one to beat. Hes kinda Thors opposite. Durable, but overconfident. Fast, but weaker then most when it comes to muscle. Like an average 10th grader kind of muscle, just really fast. Im trying! U gotta gimme that! At least hes not a godling like before!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:47:26 PM by Ryno »
"When you live life without regrets, the obvious result is happiness!" - Damien Steele

R.I.P Big Brother...

[/img]

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2092 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »
Okay, Goku, maybe Okaru is just an 'ascended' being, but if you're comparing him to Ossanlin....well, let me put it this way:

Ossanlin has been in the GESB for many years. In the time I've been here (for about two years now) I have only seen him ascend once. In the time the GESB has been on RAF it has happened twice. Neither times were for battle purposes.

That's the difference. Your "ascended" character enters the bar looking for a fight and to show off. You, as the master of your characters, are not taking into consideration how much time and effort has gone into the development of ours.

And when I say time and effort I don't mean that we thought up all of their backstory before we inserted them into the bar. I mean organic development. Terenia's story was fleshed out through roleplaying, not prior to it. Yeah, there's a little bit of background, but your character shouldn't have already gone through all it can go through before it even sees live action.

Again, going back to the spirit of the bar. This place exists for conversation, for drama, for plot. Not for senseless battles. But it's already begun, so carry on. As we already said....don't be disappointed when this doesn't end how you want it to.

Offline Nero's Fury

• Xtreme Member
  • JUGGALO 4 LIFE
« Reply #2093 on: May 02, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »
Well my hope for right now is an interesting battle. Then for them both to survive. He was never supposed to succeed. I just didnt know how to just insert him into the story. I was planning for this fight to last a little while, then Okaru will get overly ****y and Ossanlin nearly finishes him. At which point I hoped for Okaru to pick Ossanlin as a person he would wish to be more like so he would be a companion of his. Idk overthinking considering idk if thats even ok with everyone else involved but *shrug*

R.I.P Big Brother...

[/img]

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2094 on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »
o.O

A word of advice, Goku. Don't ever plan for things to happen that far in advance. If the bar will teach you anything, it's that all of your plans will be stomped on before they have a chance to come to fruition. Know why? Because each character is an individual who will not react how you want them to, but rather by the way their own personalities dictate.

Don't create the story, just be a part of it. There's a reason we don't have a GM in this rp, don't try to be one. You can't make things happen just because you think they'd be cool.

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #2095 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »
The alive are incredible. They are a cyborg race that has existed for millennia upon millennia, and have mastered the art of bio-cyber interface. They are unprecedentedly calculating, and have technologies even my own imaginary "Alliance" doesn't. Couple this with the calculating mind of a trained Andalite aristh, an array of passive sensors and an interphasic scanner, and Theta-Pi is a great support drone/scout. I didn't say he could see you exactly. But his calculations allow him to juxtaposition your coordinates much more efficiently than the average mind.
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #2096 on: May 02, 2011, 10:51:17 PM »
I have a comment, but I'm not sure how to say it right... I guess I'm piggybacking on Teach's message kinda. Goku, when you wrote:

He had never tried to get something over so quickly so the risk may be to great...and he knew it.

I didn't feel any of the tension I'm assuming you were wanting to convey at all. Considering that Okaru is so new (relative to the bar) I really have no reason to feel emotionally attached to him. I'm not filled with a sense of aw that Okaru is ascending ... since I don't know him, I'm not impressed. I don't mean to be rude, but I figure that you wanted this to be some big epic event. And as much as I hate to say this to you... it just isn't. Maybe if I knew him more, had seen him fail a few times, or go through a few periods of weakness, would this seem like a big deal. But right now, it's just like "Oh, would you look at that..." Really, I mean no offense. I have a few... epic developments... I've been working on for a while in some other RPs, but I've been working on those ever-so-slowly since I've joined RAF last September. Which... isn't that long, really. I'm dying to show off my literary masterpieces, but if I don't time it right, or let it grow to have it's own value, then it won't be as awesome as it could be if it had been building for a while.

*shrugs* that's just my thought though. Again, no offense meant. Just an attempt at helpful criticism.

Offline Cobra (Gymn)

• Xtreme Member
  • Defiant! And argumentative!
« Reply #2097 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »
I'm thinking of joining again. I'm not sure if I want to start out anew or use my old charies. I may start anew because my old Charies weren't well thought out.
Rad is my RAFmom!
I love Jesus!

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #2098 on: May 02, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »
I'm thinking of joining again. I'm not sure if I want to start out anew or use my old charies. I may start anew because my old Charies weren't well thought out.

You're definitely allowed ^_^ Consider the old ones a learning experience and start new characters, or do like I've done so far with Salem and figure out how you can make them work.

I keep thinking I might take Salem out of the bar and try someone new, but I really like the way his... occasionally questionable morals work out, most of the time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:02:59 PM by Alukitator »

Salem's Story

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2099 on: May 02, 2011, 11:21:50 PM »
Other than maybe Ossanlin, I don't think there's a single person in the whole Bar with conventional morals. Myitt's morals are unconventional for her race, and she's also a rebel. Not above making people go splodey. Terenia's morals seem to depend on whatever works for her at the time, though they follow a system. XD Keshin and Joanne are nearly amoral, doing whatever benefits them when they're in the Bar. Mar is utterly arrogant and self-centered, assisting those he calls friend (in any conceivable way, not all of them good) and saying "Screw you" to pretty much everyone else. Temrash is a former Yeerk Visser with strong principles but odd morality, and Efaen is....Efaen. XDD