Author Topic: Enter RAF  (Read 29626 times)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
Re: Enter RAF
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »
So, you don't have tyrannosaur eyes. ;) I'm just kiddin'.  I know that the "Jurassic Park Theorum" for tyrannosaur vision is false.

Anyway, I think this could be the theme song for your fic -- it's the third one down.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 11:33:19 PM »
Heh, yeah, people tend to assume that just because we tend to lose interest in things that don't move, that means we can't see them.  ::)

Chapter Twelve

Goom furrowed his comically large eyebrows as he stared down at the book he was looking through.  The lines of code written on the pages seemed to blur together after having stared at them for so long.  Even though he himself was the one who had written it.

He, Aquilai, and Richard were in a small room, much smaller than any of the Boards, only about the size of a public restroom.  The sides of the room were lined with shelves upon shelves of books, encoding the raw data framework upon which the rest of RAF was built.  The sterile, concrete, storage-room space seemed hardly impressive, for a place so important.

Goom, his squat body lacking arms, turned the pages of the books using his unexpectedly dextrous feet.  He was looking for anything that could be a reference to Estelore and Noelle's disappearances.  Any segment of code that might delete a user's account, or mask it, or shuffle it somewhere else.

Aquilai contented himself with watching over the top of Goom's rounded triangular head, being unable to physically touch the books himself.  The binding simply phased right through his hands when he had tried to pick one up.

Goom reasoned that it had to be because Aquilai lacked the admin powers that Goom possessed.  Aquilai could see the code when Goom showed it to him, but had no power to look at it for himself or alter it.

Richard was holding up a different book, thumbing through the pages with silent interest.  He rarely spoke, but then, he had always had a tendency to keep to himself.

And already the two of them had been through dozens of books, but had come up with nothing out of the ordinary.

Eventually, Aquilai lost interest in the endless lines of code, and ambled back over to the pile of various mechanical objects that he had strewn across a corner of the room.  He picked up one that looked like a narrow, high-tech flashlight, and brandished it like a policeman.  He picked up another object that looked like a tiny radio, and pointed the first device at the second.  The blue light of the 'flashlight' buzzed as it shone on the other piece, subtly vibrating the internal gears and circuits into different orientations.

After a while of doing this, Aquilai seemed satisfied with his work.  He held the miniature radio up next to his head, and it crackled with static.  He shone the blue light on it some more, and tried again.

"Hello?" the device spoke.  "Testing, testing, tesuto, korera wa watashi no kangaedesu."

Aquilai brought down the device and stared at it in his hand.  "Is that Japanese?" he wondered, perplexed.  "How does it keep getting switched over to different languages?  I don't even speak Japanese!"

"Maybe we could hook Bear up to Babelfish whenever he uses it," Goom joked.

"That could not possibly end well," Aquilai shot back amiably.  "It must be something weird about the sonic screwdriver.  Come to think of it, that seems like that would be typical."  Sighing, he put down the tiny radio, and picked up another device that looked like a pair of night-vision goggles, crossed with a virtual-reality helmet made out of a mesh of wires and gears.

"Maybe this will work better," he muttered to himself as he began to work on the new device, the sonic screwdriver buzzing busily as he shone the blue light on the odd hat.  "I sure hope so.  Maybe we've got a shot at finding Noelle and Estelore, if I can get this to work."

"Is that the webcam-reader you've been working on?" Goom asked.  "It looks good so far."

"Yeah, well, there's a difference between looking good and working," Aquilai quipped.  "It's supposed to let us see through a webcam, provided whoever wears it has a way to access that webcam normally.  Once I get that part working, I'll work on hacks to let us access other webcams too.  But, even the simpler version, will have to be much more complicated than Bear's thought-amplifier is.  This has to interface with actual real-world technology, instead of solely existing within the internet.  So it has to be extremely sensitive to- aha!  Finally!" he interrupted himself as he heard something click into place within the device.  "I think I just made a breakthrough.  If I loop the virtual reality circuit, I think I can link it to real circuits, doubly-inverting reality.  And from there, of course, it's easy enough to connect it to the Control Panel in the Start Menu."

Goom had absolutely no idea what Aquilai had just said, and in fact had a strong feeling that he'd just made some of those terms up.  "So, does it work now?" Goom asked, eager to test the device for himself.

"Just a few more tweaks, and it should," Aquilai said, buzzing the blue light across the device a couple more times.  "Okay, there, try it now."

Aquilai put the helmet on Goom, the wire-mesh design making it elastic enough to fit the goomba's oddly-shaped head.  At first the view was black, but then it flickered to life as it accessed Goom's personal computer.

"It's working, it's working!  I can see my room!" Goom said enthusiastically.  "There's my desk!  Hey, there's my . . . "

He trailed off as he noticed his phone, still on, and lying open on his desk.  It was slanted away from the webcam, and the angle made it difficult to see, but there was a missed text message still displaying on the phone's open screen.  Goom concentrated hard on reading the nearly obscured text, and with a start, he saw that it was from Richard.

The message was short and simple, but shocking.

Richard:
They've hacked my account!

Goom's breath caught in his chest, as he read and re-read the text to make sure he was understanding it right.  Because it couldn't be.  But it was, and he had to fight down the overwhelming urge to panic as he realized exactly what it meant.  He didn't know who 'they' were, but the important detail was that whoever was in the room with Aquilai and Goom right now was not Richard.

His pulse quickened, as his panic instincts fought fiercely against reason, threatening to take over his body and send him running from the room.  But he desperately shoved that impulse down, telling himself that, no matter what, he could not let the imposter know what he had found.

Slowly, trying to make it look like nothing was wrong even while his mind was screaming, Goom cautiously shook the helmet off his head and looked around the room.  'Richard' was still buried in his book, no doubt eagerly absorbing all of RAF's deepest secrets.

The false Richard pretended not to notice, but Goom was certain he must have already known, that Aquilai was no longer there.

radgeek

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 11:54:49 PM »
 :o

You're gonna make me over use this smilie.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2012, 12:03:09 AM »
OH MY GOB, OH MY GOB, OH MY GOB, OH MY GOB!

..WHo's 'they?'
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
Enter RAF
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2012, 07:26:44 AM »
This is good! I'm enjoying reading this.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2012, 07:47:45 AM »
'They'. . . . 'They' could be, what, the Banned?  Malice?  That TAS Virus?  A man named Bob?

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2012, 11:05:03 AM »
Thanks, all!  You guys are awesome.

And, just a friendly reminder, that I prefer any guesses to be sent via PM.  :)

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »
Wait a second, what would RAF chat be like>
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »
Those of you who know me well, probably realize how very tempted I was to simply hold off on posting this chapter until I was completely finished with the next one.  I've gotten most of the next one done, but not quite entirely so, yet.

Oh, well, at least this way it serves as an incentive to hurry up my writing.  :P

Chapter Thirteen

"Goom, are you alright?" the Richard imposter asked, looking up from his book, and doing an impeccable impression of bewilderment.  "Hey, where's Aquilai?  Did he log out, or . . . ?"

Goom steadied his nerves, painfully aware than any particularly marked move he made would be recorded as a post for the false Richard to easily see.  If he even thought too hard about what was going through his mind right now, there was a chance that the imposter might be able to see those thoughts.

"Oh, god," Goom said, trying his best to act like the only thing he was shocked about was Aquilai's absence.  "Not another one!  Aquilai?  Aquilai!  Where are you!"

"Aquilai?" 'Richard' called out, sounding anxious.  "Aquilai!  Where on earth are you?  If this is some kind of joke . . . "

Goom was taken aback.  In some part of his mind, he had half-expected the imposter to start cackling madly, only to launch into a detailed explanation of his brilliant evil plan.  Strangely, the false Richard honestly seemed as distraught over Aquilai's disappearance as Goom was.  But, of course, since his actions were nothing more than posts typed up on his computer, it would have been easy enough for him to fake any emotion he chose.  Even so, the perfect realism of his actions was deeply unnerving.

He was like a controller, Goom realized.  Able to act perfectly like the person whose form he had stolen, but in actuality something completely different beneath the surface.  This must have been how Jake felt, having to act like nothing was different between him and Tom.

But, why would he even pretend?  Richard's status as the site's founder would surely have given him powers that no other RAFian possessed.  If he wanted to do anything to RAF, it had to be well within his power to do so.  Not to mention the fact that, as an outerworlder, he was beyond any RAFian's ability to harm.  All he had to do was log out and he would be safe.  What else could he possibly have wanted with RAF, that was still beyond his grasp?  Why the secrecy, when he had nothing to hide from?

Goom left the data room, under the pretense of looking for Aquilai.  Once outside, he allowed himself to breathe a small sigh of relief.  It was good to be away from . . . whatever that was.

So, then, the question became, who were 'they'?  'They've hacked my account!', the real Richard had said.  Goom guessed that Richard must have sent more than one text message, but only the latest one had been displayed.  The way he said it, it sounded like Richard had at least some idea who 'they' were, or else he would have just said 'someone has hacked my account.'

The other missed text messages probably would have explained more, and Goom regretted that he now had no way to access those messages in any way that the imposter couldn't trace.  Every move he made would automatically become a post, and so he would have to be meticulously careful about every thing he said or did, saving the element of surprise for when he really needed it.

Goom kept thinking about 'them,' curious about what Richard could possibly have meant.  Hmm.  Perhaps Richard had fended off 'their' earlier hacking attempts only to fall victim to a more concerted attack?  So, maybe he didn't know who 'they' were, either, merely that there was a 'they.'

Goom made his way to the Social Board, hoping to find something useful in Aquilai's quarters.  A hunch.  Goom knew that Aquilai had been busily inventing things for most of the day, so perhaps Aquilai would have something that he might have thought would prove useful, before his work was cut short.  Goom stood on his tiptoes to look up the Time Lord's lair on the display in the Social Board's lobby, and made his way down the hall.

Much like a TARDIS, Aquilai's room was set up to be bigger on the inside than the doorway, or the space between neighboring doorways, would have seemed to indicate.  Inside his chamber, there was a metallic mesh walkway raised up above a darkened floor below, encircling a strange pillar of high-tech gadgetry.  Towards the edges of the room the walkway spiralled off into other assorted areas.  One such area held a multi-tiered rack of gadgets that seemed to be at various stages of completion.  Another, a model of a galaxy that seemed to be floating as if by magic in the empty air.  And then there was a closet that looked out of place just for being such an ordinary piece of furniture.

Goom headed towards the work area with the various devices.  He spotted one that looked remarkably like a tracking device, complete with a little blinking red light.  As he approached, he noticed little descriptions under each device, and his heart leaped as he read more about the tracker-like object that had caught his interest.  It was indeed a tracking device.  And it had two parts, one to read its website location from anywhere on the internet, and the other that would function as a global position-finder if the device were to be brought out into the real world.

Finally, things were looking up.  This could be used to track down the missing RAFians!  If he could attach it to somebody who . . . oh, but that was the catch.  There was only one such device, and no way to predict who would vanish next.  No way to know who to attach it to.

Goom sighed, but then perked up, as the tracking device had given him a different idea.  Tracking.  That was the key.  Goom realized, with a start, that if the false Richard was indeed behind the disappearances, he would have had to be using RAF's own software to do it!

And that kind of activity could be traced.

Goom would wait until the imposter logged out, he reasoned.  The hacker had to log off sometime, he couldn't stay online forever.  Then he might be able to make a hacking attempt of his own, at least enough to see what the imposter was up to, and whether or not he was connected to the disappearances.

In the meantime, he somberly considered whether or not he was even up to the task.  Goom considered himself a fairly advanced hacker, but who knew what kind of security he might be dealing with?

When he finally realized the obvious answer, he would have facepalmed if he'd had hands.  He needed a hacker.  He was on an Animorphs forum.  There was only one person he needed to see.

Goom left the tracking device where it was in Aquilai's lair, figuring that picking it up would have triggered a post detailing what he had done.  Maybe later, when more people found out about Aquilai's disappearance and their curiosity brought them to his profile, and their posts would obscure his own, he would come back.

Goom walked to the Animorphs Board, and cautiously entered the building.  He knew that there was a chance that Richard might notice him here, but at least here there would be enough people still searching for Noelle and Estelore to quickly bury any posts Goom might create.  Or so he hoped, but it was a chance he would have to take.

Within the mismatched terrain, he quickly spotted a grassy meadow, and slowly shuffled his way towards it, doing his best to keep a low profile.  As he approached, an Andalite came into view, his form blurred just so slightly that you only noticed the blurring if you were looking for it.  His description in the books, after all, was detailed enough that there was little disagreement on what he looked like, although there was still some.  His tail, in particular, sported at least three distinct styles of blade that Goom could see, although there may have been more that were simply less visible.

Ax tensed his tail as he spotted the strange large-headed brown creature that was intruding in his meadow.  He immediately suspected that a new alien race must have come to earth, because it certainly did not look like any other earth species.  But, if it was alien, it was a race that he had never seen before.

<Who, and what, are you?> he asked, holding his tail forward threateningly, making it clear that he wasn't to be taken lightly.  <And what business do you have here, with this planet?>

Goom gulped.  "Uh, my name is Goom.  I'm a goomba.  Don't hurt me, I come in peace."  It suddenly occurred to him that he hadn't really thought this through.  How was he supposed to convince Ax that they were on the same side?  And why should he have expected Ax to take his side at all?

"Look, I'm not a controller," he began, and flinched as Ax's tail shifted forward another couple inches at the mere mention of that word.  "I can prove it.  I know the Animorphs are human.  Their names are Jake and Rachel Berenson . . . Tobias, uh, Fangor?  And Cassie and Marco . . . hmm, nevermind.  The point is, if I were a controller, you guys would be screwed."

Ax thought about this for a moment, then relaxed his tail a couple inches.  But his suspicion was still plainly written in his eyes.  <Alright, you have my attention, goomba,> he said evenly.  <What do you want?>

"I want your help," Goom said earnestly.  "I may be being monitored, so-"

In a motion that was too fast to see, Ax pressed his multi-layered tail blade against Goom's throat, his face an expression of rage.  "But not by the Yeerks!" Goom quickly amended, his voice little more than a squeak.  "A friend of mine may have been taken by this . . . other enemy.  Please, you have to help me."

Ax withdrew his tail, contemplating.  <What is it you would have me do?>

"That's the thing.  I can't tell you everything.  But, I can tell you that I need your technological expertise.  And I need to know right now if you're in or out, because I cannot risk giving you more information unless you're in."

Ax kept his eyes and tail focused tightly on the the goomba, as he silently thought about what the strange being had said.  <If it's in the name of freedom, I will help,> Ax finally said, realizing he had little to lose, when the odd creature already knew all the information he would have needed to doom the Animorphs.  <What do you need of me?>

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2012, 12:42:43 AM »
Hanging out with Ax? *SQUEEEE*

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2012, 02:21:24 AM »
OHwow. Canon characters getting involved.

<3
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2012, 03:55:57 AM »
This story is freaking epic!!! Awesome job so far Dino! I'm jealous of my fanfic self. :'( To actually become a SPARTAN-II would be awesome. I think the first thing I would do is check out the energy sword.  :drools:

I love how you have some people refer to Esty as "them" and some refer to Esty as "her".

Oo Oo Oo! *Story suggestion PM'd*
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:12:32 AM by Darth Revan »
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2012, 04:36:01 AM »
Agreed. 'Them' is our preference, but it's a mark of the realism and faith to the RAFian characters that some don't use preferred pronouns.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2012, 04:48:27 AM »
Oh you crazy ladies and gentlemen. ;D
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2012, 05:03:21 AM »
Yes, what?