Author Topic: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!  (Read 13912 times)

Offline Tiana

Re: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2008, 07:54:35 PM »
Wow... no offence, but thats such a grim look on life... True, but grim.

But I stand with what I said before, it is impossible for every sentient being to be classified as "good" or "evil". After studying international law for a semester (and I admit, I know VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY little), and with my own personal bias.... I do think that Jake SHOULD at LEAST go on trial for the mass murder of Yeerks, regardless of the reason. Technically, it is a crime, at least in the most basic legal definition of one. *remembers lessons*

Hmm you have a good point. But I have to quote Cassie :) She said something about how before the Yeerks tried to enslave Earth, no human has ever harmed a Yeerk. Jake would never be in that position of the Yeerks hadn't invaded Earth and Visser One didn't attempt mass forceful infestation.

So is it a crime to kill criminals? Hmm....

Offline Leonardodavinci

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2008, 07:57:55 PM »
Look at Western Civilization. Slavery is somewhat of the same premise as what the Yeerks did. The Yeerks just did it better.

And to your point about Visser One attempting mass forceful infestation, not EVERY SINGLE YEERK agreed with that plan.

The My Lai massacre of 1970 is a bit like this. The American Army under Nixon THOUGHT that everyone in that village supported the Viet Kong, but that wasn't really true... it was a village of civilians. All killed. The Lieutenant was charged, and only served a couple of years, but there IS a precedent... its sort of the same thing.

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2008, 07:58:26 PM »
War is terrible. And it didn't take the Animorphs long to realize it.

I think all of the killing and violence would drive me insane before the war even came close to an end. Honestly, I think I would become a nothlit and live the remainder of my life somewhere far away. Would I be turning my back on everyone? Kind of, yeah. Killing is way past where I draw the line, though.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline Tiana

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2008, 08:05:11 PM »
Look at Western Civilization. Slavery is somewhat of the same premise as what the Yeerks did. The Yeerks just did it better.

And to your point about Visser One attempting mass forceful infestation, not EVERY SINGLE YEERK agreed with that plan.

The My Lai massacre of 1970 is a bit like this. The American Army under Nixon THOUGHT that everyone in that village supported the Viet Kong, but that wasn't really true... it was a village of civilians. All killed. The Lieutenant was charged, and only served a couple of years, but there IS a precedent... its sort of the same thing.

True, not every single Yeerk agreed. So how many disagreed? When the Animorphs were freeing people before the bombs exploded at the Yeerk pool, Ax said that "several" Controllers came and helped them. Although we don't know how many "several" would be, it seemed less than the Controllers that were escaping, IMO.

Even before the mass infestation began, the Yeerk Peace Movement had what, 100 members? How many is that compared to all the Yeerks in the empire? I don't know if it's safe to say that the majority of Yeerks approved of infestation. But IMO, they do.

Offline Leonardodavinci

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:44 PM »

True, not every single Yeerk agreed. So how many disagreed? When the Animorphs were freeing people before the bombs exploded at the Yeerk pool, Ax said that "several" Controllers came and helped them. Although we don't know how many "several" would be, it seemed less than the Controllers that were escaping, IMO.

Even before the mass infestation began, the Yeerk Peace Movement had what, 100 members? How many is that compared to all the Yeerks in the empire? I don't know if it's safe to say that the majority of Yeerks approved of infestation. But IMO, they do.

Of course they approved of infestation! I haven't read the animorph books in ages, but I remember the good Yeerk that Cassie meets in #19 asking her if she knew what it was like to live without senses. It would make sense that they would want to infest people to actually LIVE.

Seems a better reason than what we had for Slavery, actually. I'd rather be enslaved so that another being could enjoy life, then be enslaved for someone to be lazy. (But I'd rather not be enslaved at all...)

Offline Tiana

« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2008, 08:12:04 PM »

Of course they approved of infestation! I haven't read the animorph books in ages, but I remember the good Yeerk that Cassie meets in #19 asking her if she knew what it was like to live without senses. It would make sense that they would want to infest people to actually LIVE.

Seems a better reason than what we had for Slavery, actually. I'd rather be enslaved so that another being could enjoy life, then be enslaved for someone to be lazy. (But I'd rather not be enslaved at all...)

That's really selfless of you. I don't think I would be willing to give up control of my body and life so another being can take over. But obviously the hosts chosen by the Yeerks didn't have a choice did they? (except for the voluntary hosts, but all the involuntary ones were being forced against their will).

Anyhow, my previous point was that even if there are good Yeerks, they are vastly outnumbered by the "not-so-good Yeerks". Should the Animorphs take every precaution not to kill Yeerks while trying trying to save Earth so that the good Yeerks are spared?

Offline Vivi9087

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2008, 08:16:51 PM »
Well to use an old quote "In war there will always be casualties." Another thing to take note of is that the good yeerks would generally make a point not to get into a skirmish with the Animorphs.  It really should be their objective not to get into the cross fire, you can't leave all the work of deciding who is good and who is bad up to the Animorphs.  In the heat of battle when you're surrounded by what you believe to be the enemy, survival instinct will generally override most thought processes.

Merely stating, it shouldn't be the Animorphs responsibility to avoid killing potentially friendly Yeerks.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 08:18:24 PM by Vivi9087 »

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2008, 08:18:19 PM »
So Jake should at least be tried for killing members of an INVADING ALIEN species where he had no time to pluck out the 'good' ones?
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Leonardodavinci

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2008, 08:21:37 PM »
So Jake should at least be tried for killing members of an INVADING ALIEN species where he had no time to pluck out the 'good' ones?

Yes.

Entirely. You say "invading alien species", but THEY ARE SENTIENT! It is a CRIME to mass murder them! Hitler used the same argument, saying that Jews were not humans.

According to the legal definition of a crime accepted wherever there IS a law code, GENERALLY, for a crime to exist, there must be INTENT and the actual ACT

Jake KNEW what he was doing when he destroyed the pool, and the ACT was destroying the pool. I don't want him CONVICTED, just tried!

Offline TinShadowcat

• War Eagle
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
Think about it this way. You're completely blind. You're basically deaf. You spend your days swimming around. Then, you get a chance to see the world for the first time. You can hear and see, touch and feel. Something you never imagined possible. Now, imagine if someone tried to take it away from you. Would you be very happy?

Here's thing. The majority of the Yeerks are pretty bad. Not the friendliest little slugs. But there are good Yeerks.  Do you honestly think that all of them spent every moment of every day torturing their hosts for sadistic pleasure? I don't think so. And think about it this way, too. How would you like to spend years with someone who screams and tells you that you're the most disgusting thing on the face of the Earth every ten seconds? If all of the Yeerks are evil, then 50% of humans are evil too. You can't say humans are perfect and innocent. We've done some pretty bad things too.

Another thing to think about... Let's say you're in a room with thirty people, most of which are cruel, violent, and sick-minded. Would it be fair for someone to barge into the room and tell you all that you're terrible people, and that each and every one of you deserve to die a painful death?

Yeah, I know, I'm kind of going in circles and repeating myself a little. But my point is, not all of the Yeerks are evil. Only some of them. Do I pity them? Yeah, kind of. Do I pity Visser Three? Hell no!

However, we aren't talking about a roomful of 30 people. This is millions, maybe billions of Evil Slugs.
And there are what, maybe 10 yeerks in the peace faction.tough ****, majority rule. kill the little F******
Xbox 360:  TinShadowcat
Steam:  TinShadowcat
Pretty much anything you want to add me on:  TinShadowcat

Offline Tiana

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2008, 08:25:57 PM »

Yes.

Entirely. You say "invading alien species", but THEY ARE SENTIENT! It is a CRIME to mass murder them! Hitler used the same argument, saying that Jews were not humans.

According to the legal definition of a crime accepted wherever there IS a law code, GENERALLY, for a crime to exist, there must be INTENT and the actual ACT

Jake KNEW what he was doing when he destroyed the pool, and the ACT was destroying the pool. I don't want him CONVICTED, just tried!

But then how bad is it to mass murder mass murderers? Yeerks have killed countless SENTIENT species throughout the galaxy, so do they deserve the same rights as innocent people?

Offline Leonardodavinci

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »
Again, yes.

A concept exists called "double jeopardy". In International Law, it is forbidden to try someone twice for the same crime. Each person - in this case being - starts with a clean slate. The only time when past evidence is allowed is to set a precedent in the eyes of the jury - in this case, the fact that they use the same sort of methods of infestation in the past.

But regardless, "INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY" is one of the maxims of law.

Offline Tiana

« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »
Again, yes.

A concept exists called "double jeopardy". In International Law, it is forbidden to try someone twice for the same crime. Each person - in this case being - starts with a clean slate. The only time when past evidence is allowed is to set a precedent in the eyes of the jury - in this case, the fact that they use the same sort of methods of infestation in the past.

But regardless, "INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY" is one of the maxims of law.

But then the Yeerks have a filthy dirty slate don't they?

And isn't the proof in front of their very eyes? How many times have they witnessed the brutality of the Yeerks?
PS. Are you a law student, you seem very knowlegeable in that area :)

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2008, 08:33:23 PM »
What choice did Jake have??? What about all the humans he saved in the process???
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:04 PM »
How do you fight the Yeerks without becoming them? Now I'm beginning to understand what Cassie meant. What if someone kills your friend? Do you go after them and kill them for revenge? And if you do, wouldn't that make you as bad as they were, if not worse?

What choice did Jake have??? What about all the humans he saved in the process???

Hmm........ I'm having a really hard time deciding whether or not I agree with you. Tough question, there...
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D