Author Topic: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!  (Read 13836 times)

Offline CounterInstinct

Re: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2008, 06:56:30 AM »
Okay... maybe i wrote it the wrong way... LOL, but you get the picture.  :)
not all taxxons were blind to meat.
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline Tiana

« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
I just hate the way Yorick is branding all Yeerks as evil. It's just so wrong. You don't give them a fair chance to prove themselves. Not because one of them is evil, doesn't mean everybody is.

Now I suppose you all brand Taxxons as meat-hungry, Andalites as all-righteous, and humans always right.

But Taxxons are meat-hungry. It's part of their genetic makeup, you can't take that out of a Taxxon because that's how they evolved.

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be considerably more "evil" Yeerks than good Yeerks. (100 members of the Yeerk Peace Movement out of how many hundreds of thouands of Yeerks?)

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »
I don't hate you, Dameg.

Why would I have any sympathy for Yeerks who didn't have the guts to die for peace or invasion?

How did you feel when the Kandrona was destroyed? Would you have stopped the Animorphs from doing so?

So you would only attack and kill Visser Three and not the Kandrona or a pool? Ever?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:28:01 PM by Yorick »
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2008, 11:37:59 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be considerably more "evil" Yeerks than good Yeerks. (100 members of the Yeerk Peace Movement out of how many hundreds of thouands of Yeerks?)

I think that's cuz most of the Yeerks we got a look at were soliders: Vissers and sub-vissers and troops. There must have been Yeerk scientist and stuff who weren't out for conquest, and were actually in things like Seerow laid out, and would not a oppose a unity with host
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:19:33 PM by RYTX »
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
How would you feel if you were on trial for the 'mass murder' of 'innocent' Yeerks by HUMANS after the end of the war?

Perhaps not innocent, but helpless.  Prisoners of war, some of whom could have been members of the peace movement who were trying to help humanity.  If you feel that way about the Yeerks, why not kill off all the Germans at the end of World War II, or all the Japanese internment camp prisoners, because they all had heritages in a country that was attacking other countries, and in the case of the Germans maybe a lot believed it was right...K.A. didn't want to paint the Yeerks as pure evil, because they were sentient people, and no one race can be purely evil, every individual to the core.  Just like the Andalites weren't pure good, and for that matter neither are humans.  It was one of the best parts of the series, because it didn't draw clean black and white lines between evil villains and purely good heros, and it respected the intelligence of its audience to recognize that.  Sure some Yeerks were evil b*stards, but in my opinion most were probably just too brainwashed or afraid for their lives to act if they opposed what their government was doing, or what their brothers around them were doing.  It's a very interesting moral dilemma, being a sentient parasite  ;D

By the way I wouldn't have stopped the Animorphs from destroying the Kandrona.  It was an act of war.  I wouldn't have stopped the bombing of the Yeerk pool.  But at the time the Yeerks were flushed from the pool ship, the war was effectively over.  There was no need to kill 17,000 additional helpless (but not necessarily innocent) prisoners of war, regardless of which Yeerks were in the pool, while the Yeerks were surrounded by Andalites and had their major mothership taken over by their human enemies.  Why add to the carnage, if they could've simply been sent back to their homeworld?  There was no need for it, it was senseless.

Jake wasn't on trial for that, he just had to live with taking so many lives, whether human or Hork-Bajir or Yeerk...they were all living people, and it weighed him down.  Like the albatross, even the series threw in that little Coleridge reference x3

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »
By the way I wouldn't have stopped the Animorphs from destroying the Kandrona.  It was an act of war.  I wouldn't have stopped the bombing of the Yeerk pool.  But at the time the Yeerks were flushed from the pool ship, the war was effectively over.  There was no need to kill 17,000 additional helpless (but not necessarily innocent) prisoners of war, regardless of which Yeerks were in the pool, while the Yeerks were surrounded by Andalites and had their major mothership taken over by their human enemies.  Why add to the carnage, if they could've simply been sent back to their homeworld?  There was no need for it, it was senseless.
Thanks, I won't repeat it, you did it so well...
Listen... no, sorry, READ Yorick ;) I would destroy the Kandrona or the Yeerk Pool. Of course I agreed when they did it. But I wouldn't do it because of hate, I would do it to stop a war. It's very different. To mass murder people (Yeerks or other people) can't be accepted. In France, we have so many movies, everytime, about the WW2, that we CANNOT forget (and I live in a city where there were a lot of resistance, and went to a school who has the name of a famous resistant (my univ' now has the same name... so I had this everytime, every year, truth me). And if Jake won't forget. He'll feel bad, for what he did, because even him know he shouldn't do that, because he know he didn't do that to win, but to destroy because of he hated. Now, if you think it's the good way, do as you want.
But I think this: you read Animorphs, but you didn't understand what KA wanted to say, which message she wanted you/we understand.
You think they should kill all the Yeerks?
I wouldn't like they destroy Germany... never!
Who are you to judge a full people? You SHOULD give another chance. Hatred lead to hatred. After the WW1, France wanted that Germans know they failed, knows that France won... and then there were the WW2... If we don't learn watching the past, the future won't be better...
(PS: One of the most famous and most horrible guy of the Gestapo who killed and tortured many people in Lyon (where I live) is born on October 25th, like me... what's an horror!)

Oh, Yorick, did you see your karma? ^_^' I hope not too many people smite you several times... It isn't kind...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:47:41 PM by Dameg »
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline TinShadowcat

• War Eagle
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »
Yorick, I do understand where you are coming from. But honestly, "saving humanity" can be applied to ANYTHING.

I mistrust the Yeerks. I don't agree with what they do, BUT THEY ARE NOT EVIL!. Someone else made this point, but would you hurt a lion for eating an antelope? A wolf for eating a fox? Its the same argument.

As for Jake being on trial, what he did was still a crime. He didn't have a choice, which is why I don't think he should be found guilty, and he DID save humanity from the Yeerks... its just, when you pose a statement saying "He shouldn't have gone on trial, etc." (obviously paraphrased)... I kind of have to respond.

The power of the law should be more powerful than any one man. Yes, Jake helped humanity, yes, Jake saved the world, yes, Jake is our savior... but the minute we say someone is ABOVE the law, EVERYTHING loses credibility.

Foxes and antalope are not sentient
Xbox 360:  TinShadowcat
Steam:  TinShadowcat
Pretty much anything you want to add me on:  TinShadowcat

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »

Foxes and antalope are not sentient

But they are pretty tasty. 

???  ::)

Offline TinShadowcat

• War Eagle
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2008, 05:25:21 PM »
 :crazy2:
Xbox 360:  TinShadowcat
Steam:  TinShadowcat
Pretty much anything you want to add me on:  TinShadowcat

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2008, 05:50:44 PM »
Yup. ;D

Speaking of the French resistance Dameg, there are always movies about the U.S. or even one coming out, Valkyrie, about the German resistance...what are some good French resistance movies huh?  There should be more, do the French ones have English subtitles...?

Offline Leonardodavinci

« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »
The french resistance may have been good (didn't really learn about it on my Holocaust rage-studying), but the DUTCH Resistance was the best :D

They were AMAZING!

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2008, 12:46:09 AM »
What about the Italian Resistance?  Viva la Resistenza! ^__^

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2008, 05:35:15 AM »
lol I think I saw/watch may be 30 or 40 movies about WW2, and many of them were French...I don't even remember all of them! So I think not all of them was translated or had English subtitles...
(searching on the web)
Here a list of French movies (sometimes French + other country(ies)) about WW2 you can/must/may find in English or with English subtitles (sometimes French webpages, sorry):
Le vieux fusil
Un amour a taire (A love to hide)
Amen
Monsieur Batignole
Le Pianiste
Des enfants dans les arbres
La colline aux milles enfants
Les cerfs-volants (movie of this book)
... I can't remember other serious French movies... but here funny movies about WW2:
1st movie about the Septieme Compagnie
2nd
3rd
La grande vadrouille
Papy fait de la resistance
La vache et le prisonnier
La traversée de Paris
Le mur de l'Atlantique
This list isn't full, of course. I can't remember all the movies I saw and I didn't saw every ones...
Good luck, if you wanna see them... ^_^'

Edit:
Nuit et brouillard (didn't see it, but my mother said it's a good movie)
Au revoir les enfants (same for this one)
And 2 lists of movies:
Movies about the Occupation in France
Movies about the French resistance
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:52:01 AM by Dameg »
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2008, 09:14:17 AM »
Wow, that's quite a list!  I wanted to see The Pianist...it's interesting that there was even Jewish resistance during World War II.  Hooray for humanity, always fighting ^^

I hope that not all of those are depressing hehe...the comedies look good!

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2008, 01:51:58 PM »
Not all depressing ^_^ Sometimes it's great, sometimes they die... But the comedies are cool and very famous! You should try to watch them! And The Pianist is amazing. I didn't put them, because it wasn't French and I'm sure you saw them, but 2 of my favorites are Furyo (Japan) and La vita e bella (Italy). I also watched a German movie, Aimee et Jaguar, who is about lesbians during the WW2. A love to hide is a movie about gay during the WW2.
And ... I watched another one 2 weeks ago and already don't remember the title >_< I watched too many movies about WW2, my head gonna explode!
And about Lyon, and this chief of the Gestapo (who have the same birthday than me), Klaus Barbie: he was judged in Lyon, and we can watch the video of his judgment in the Museum of the Resistance in Lyon. When I read the last Animorphs, with the judgment of Visser 3. It was so... don't have word for that, even in French... to listen what this guy made during the WW2 (and truth me, it makes you sick), and see him who don't move, don't listen, don't understand... It was many years after the end of the war, he was very old. I think he died few years later. For the visser, he just couldn't answer or move, it was just a box... May be I have too much imagination, but it remembered me Klaus Barbie...
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum