Author Topic: Avartar is really COOL! its totally hork-bajir chronicles!!! (warning: SPOILERS)  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Acalio-Laron-Jaham

Within just the first 10mins of avatar, when they first show pandora and the navi avatar aliens, i immediately thought of/was reminded of HBC, even before i knew what the avatar movie plot/story was.

omg. when i watched it today, i couldn't believe it. its as close as anything you can get in a movie to the hork-bajir chronicles than any other movie out there possibly, unless a HBC movie itself is actually made.

once you make the connections, its so cool. firswt of all, i really loved the movie, and then loved it even more imagining it as the hork bajir chronicles.

the Navi's (the blue aliens in the movie) are tall, muscular and lean, and have hork bajir length tails. they live in the trees, and basicaly worship and take care of it, and then theres alot of scenes of jake (main male lead character when his in an avatar - a navi body, having fun running exhiliratingly across pandora's (name of the alien planet) trees, swinging wildly and stuff with neytiri (main alien female lead character). its just like the part in HBC when aldrea morphs the chadoo and goes running across the trees with dak on the HBC homeworld. jake trusts his navi body to know what to do, to use its instincts to climb and stay on the trees, just like how aldrea used her morphs intincts.

Also, jake when he went in his avatar (navi alien body) he was chosen by the planets mother nature spirit like thing to lead the navi people and help in the time of need against the human invasion, as the navi's were primitive and did not have technology and such. Just like how Dak was a Seer.

eventually, jake and neytiri falls in love and at the end jake chooses to remain as a navi permanently, just like how aldrea choose to remain hork-bajir.  

this movie could have so been hork bajir chronicles. this movie alone in itself proves that with our current film-making technology, it is more than possible to make great animorphs movies that would do it justice on the special effects. the andalites, hork-bajir, spaceships and every other thing in the animorphs universe can be done now, as from what is seen in avatar. only thing stopping it i guess is budget.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:35:46 PM by Acalio-Laron-Jaham »

Alic

That movie looked really stupid to me, but now I will have to see it. :)

Offline anijen21

yeah, I kind of thought Avatar was the Hork-Bajir Chronicles except the resource they were going after wasn't some vague mineral but the natives themselves.

I didn't really like it, though :/
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
I looooved it.  Saw a few Animorphsy connections (Jake the reluctant leader with an older brother named Tom?) Not to mention the mind-to-mind neural connections they all have when they hook up to animals and control their bodies...

It IS Dances With Wolves with aliens, but I still thought it rocked.  Go see it now.  In IMAX 3D.  Or hell, just see it and sit in the front row.  Beautiful animation and really cool animals x3

It would completely be my dream job to be a biologist on another planet.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

yeah, i agree. what stood out to me which really reminded me of HBC was the trees on pandora though, the large impressive trees which people could run along.

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
I can see the connections with HBC, but for me it was more easily comprable to some of the books in the Ender's series. Especially those that focus on the Descolada and the Pequeninios. Except of course, in Avatar the aliens (*cough* Humans) wanted something (the mineral) instead of trying to destroy something (descolada.)

Yeh in actuality, many other movies/novels/stories could find quite a bit to relate with avatar, but the reason why i pointed out HBC here is because, well, this is a animorphs forum, and it really is something that you could imagine HBC would be like if a movie of it was made - pandora and the trees (the hork-bajir planet and the trees which they live on and strip bark from), the navi (make them green, give them snake heads and a beak, add some claws and blades and voila! you've got a hork-bajir.

and i don't think theres really alot of other movies out there which comes as close to HBC as avatar, since avatar can be related to HBC both storywise and visual-wise. other movies may just be either visual-wise or story wise, not both. if you know of any, post them.

i guess from my previous posts, it seemed like i thought the story was the thing about avatar which reminded me most of HBC. true, it did, but it wasn't the most. The aspect of avatar which reminded me of HBC the most was the visuals. Within just the first 10mins of avatar, when they first show pandora and the navi avatar aliens, i immediately thought of/was reminded of HBC, even before i knew what the avatar movie plot/story was. Pandora and its large trees reminded me of the hork-bajirs tree homes, the navi's - their large, humanoid bodies with tails and blue skin color both reminded me of hork-bajirs and andalites.

Avatar shows that its not impossible to make a animorphs movie that would do the aliens such as andalites and hork-bajirs justice. from what is seen of the special effects in avatar, its obviously now very possible. if only someone had the commitment, will and budget.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:41:47 PM by Acalio-Laron-Jaham »

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
I'm just glad someone made a really good CG good movie about a whole planet full of aliens and alien ecology, for once :D

*cough George Lucas is now a madman cough*

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline scherzando

I loooooooooved Avatar. And seriously, after watching it, all I can think about is how awesome it'd be if an Animorphs movie got made. Cause obviously the technology already allows it now.. It's kinda frustrating because it made me really really want to see an Animorphs movie now.. >.< Imagine how fantastic our Andalites would look..

Anyone on RAF wanna work on a screenplay? LOL ;D

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
I also thought of Animorphs and HBC when I saw it, last Saturday.
I didn't see that Jake's twin's name was Tom! But "Jake", a fight between people who live in trees and people who think they're smarter, the fact that a person from the invader race become like the "primitive" race... + the name Tom... Are we sure James Cameron never heard of Animorphs? ^^'
PS: Another thing who made me thing about Animorphs, but it was kind of stupid lol: when the spaceships shoot on the frying animals... I thought of the female hawk that Tobias liked... ^^' I said it was stupid lol
And I loved this movie ^^
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:38:11 AM by Dameg »
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
The visuals... oh, God, that was a pretty movie. Nice parallels to HBC as well.

If an Animorphs movie is made, I want them to get the morphing right visually. It should be creepy and disgusting. I don't think I've ever seen anything in Hollywood that could equate to the way KAA describes morphing. Man... somebody go kick Hollywood until they make an Animorphs movie.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline voodooqueen126

I had already read some of this message board when I saw the movie so I was expecting to see HBC, but I mostly just saw Disney's Pocahontas. I mean seriously
Sacred tree
Deeply spiritual people with a connection to nature
Fiancee who doesn't like new comers and knows that john smith/jake is a threat to his girl.
Chiefs daughter who won't inherit (in real life Pocahontas wasn't going to inherit her fathers position as succession went through her fathers sisters)
New Age Spirituality

Of course the ending is happy in Avatar

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
I had already read some of this message board when I saw the movie so I was expecting to see HBC, but I mostly just saw Disney's Pocahontas. I mean seriously
Sacred tree
Deeply spiritual people with a connection to nature
Fiancee who doesn't like new comers and knows that john smith/jake is a threat to his girl.
Chiefs daughter who won't inherit (in real life Pocahontas wasn't going to inherit her fathers position as succession went through her fathers sisters)
New Age Spirituality

Of course the ending is happy in Avatar
Hm, it's true that many things looks like Pocahontas... So Avatar is a mix of HBC and Pocahontas O_o? lol
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

true, it may be similar to pocohontas, but Avatar is similar to many things anyway. And off all the other things its similar too, none of it are similar to HBC.

Pocohontas is similar to avatar, but somehow is not as similar too HBC.

I guess its the larger tree dwelling aliens and how they are primitive and there are large trees is why it was significant for me to point out its similar to HBC.

Offline voodooqueen126

Large tree dwelling aliens who are primitive=HBC
everything else=Disney's Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves.