Author Topic: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar  (Read 198089 times)

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
Re: Galaxy's Edge Space Bar
« Reply #5385 on: January 25, 2017, 09:05:46 PM »
Myitt just stares at Salem.

She doesn't have time to utter a word, because two things happen almost simultaneously.

A wash of Dracon heat from the dissipated stun shot hits her, making her flinch.

Then she backs up and gets pushed aside by Rathien, who tumbles into a knife-slashing brawl with...

<<Salem?>> Myitt gasps, backing up further, Dracon still clutched in her right hand.

She recoils so far and so rapidly that she bumps into a wooden table, making it scrape along the floor.

<<Jesus, they're going to kill each other!>> Tara yelps.

Myitt recovers enough of her wits to survey the room, noting the position of as many people as her frazzled brain can manage.

And what weapons they had.

Distractions meant death.

Terenia was still here. That was good. And Joanne - oh, Myitt recognized the look in Joanne's eyes. It made her own blood pressure skyrocket.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #5386 on: January 26, 2017, 12:54:44 AM »
Rathien is fast. Every bit as fast as Salem knows he is. He's going to die, here and now, and he knows it. He knows he has nobody to blame but himself. And maybe Thienal, but that's taking the easy way out. Each of Rathien's words hits home, like a dagger in its own right. Guilt, regret, loss... these feelings are not unfamiliar, but somehow this is different. This time, Rathien's words strike a place closer to home, a place buried so deep he's nearly forgotten it's there.

But it is there. And it hurts.

What comes out of his mouth, however, is "You nutjob! Let me... Oof!" He finds himself flat on his back, Rathien astride him. This, also, is not unfamiliar. He winces as he hears his Shredder land in the dirt beside him. He looks up into Rathien's eyes, for just a moment, feeling a mixture of anger and confusion and, somehow, relief, and a whole lot of regret and, of course, the rush. The familiar, heart-pounding, nonsensically giddy glee he feels at being in a tight spot, a dangerous situation, staring death in the face.

Al's right. He should probably start seeing someone about that.

He doesn't give Rathien time to think. With his knees pointed to the sky, the bottoms of his boots face the ground. With a single thought-speak command, he activates them, and their embedded antigravity lifts propel his feet skyward with enough force to flip his own weight end over end.

"What... in the world was that? Why, Jeffrey Barnes, this hunk of junk seems to think you're a psychic of some kind." The old-radio voice from the hovering black thing laughs. It's a genuine, amicable sort of laugh. "I am a machine, I suppose, if you're into labels, as it were. Maybe I'm even..." there's a dramatic pause, "Two machines." It laughs again. "But no, I'm just one machine sitting inside of a bigger machine. My name is Al. You may call the floating black hunk of junk the Little Brown Punum. Or... whatever you want, I suppose. It's certainly not particular."

"Why hello there!" says the voice, sounding excited, to the other man that approaches. "Jeffrey Barnes and I were just getting to know each other!" It pauses. "It works by magic! You can't see it, but I'm doing jazz hands." The voice drops to a whisper. "Magic!"

"But no, not really. It's complicated. Uhhmm..." the voice wavers, seeming to think. "The surface of this thing is capable of channeling energy very precisely. Some kinds of energy more efficiently than others. Inside is all sorts of stuff for generating, storing, releasing and even changing the form of energy, all through the kind of boring technical mumbo-jumbo that I can never stay awake long enough to hear about. There are also several pairs of underpants that I swear I told him to pick up." The voice sighs. "But that's unrelated. Anyway, Jeffrey Barnes, a moment ago, it was happily nomming some of the heat from your finger. And a bit of the breeze moving across the surface. And a bit of the starlight shining down on it. And some of the emotional and spiritual energy of this place. And a bit of the time passing around it. And you saw what it could do when that process is reversed. It gave off a fair bit of light earlier. It's still giving off a little bit of... well, of gravity energy, in essence. Just enough to negate its own weight. And sound energy. Which has less to do with the energy channeling of the surface and more to do with its limited flexibility, since sound isn't energy in its own right, its just our interpretation of a particular type of motion, so when the surface vibrates and... Uhhmm..."

The voice seems to reconsider its ramblings. "It's complicated."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:30:46 AM by Aluminator (Kit) »

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

guitarhero01234

« Reply #5387 on: January 26, 2017, 01:11:42 AM »
Slowly, carefully, Guppy backs up into the Bar. Things weren't looking good - there seems to be a fight outside, Myitt didn't answer him, and he could swear that he heard Dracon fire.

<<I told you, this place is bad news,>> Chris says.

<<Can you save the gloating for later!?>>

Guppy continues to retreat into the Bar until he comes across an obstruction of some description. Said obstruction makes him lose his balance and fall head over heels onto the floor. "Ow . . ." he mumbles as he tries to regain his footing.

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5388 on: January 26, 2017, 01:55:34 AM »
Myitt starts, staring over at Guppy, with half a mind to bring up the weapon and aim it at him.

"Jeez," she exhales, eyes wide. Had he spoken to her? Everything was so... "Are you okay, man?" She stoops down and grips Guppy's arm with her own vice grip left hand.

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #5389 on: January 26, 2017, 02:26:44 AM »
Rathien doesn't even hear Joanne and Keshin, or anyone else for that matter...his entire focus on Salem.  He draws his left-hand fighting knife, growling loudly as he moves to plunge it toward Salem's chest when Salem's lower half suddenly up-ends.  His knife thrusts into the ground and sticks, ripping out of his hand as the two pull a one-eighty, this time with Salem resting on top of Rathien's prone form, one of his arms helplessly pinned, the other barely able to move.

With its small amount of motility, Rathien manages to clutch at the neck of Salem's shirt again, pulling him close, this time kissing him savagely.  This is not a sharing kiss, but a taking kiss...an aggressive kiss.  "Wolves mate for life."  He snarls at the 'trader.'  More like traitor.  "I gave you my most intimate secrets, and you gave me yours.  Then you neural shock me and leave me laying on the barren rock of some god-forsaken moon, and I'm the nutjob?  You're the worst kind of hypocrite, Tobias.  You're the one who collared me."  Even through the snarls, Rathien can feel the hot, angry tears pooling and dripping from the outer corners of his eyes.  He bites at Salem's neck, hard enough to leave tooth marks in blood if Salem didn't stop him, but not hard enough to cause any lasting harm.  "So if you won't be with me, you'd better ****ing kill me, because I'm not letting you ignore me.  You can't just run away.  I'll hunt you down to the ends of the galaxy, I don't care.  So go ahead, you ****ing ****.  Kill me.  DO IT!"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:28:36 AM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #5390 on: January 28, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
Salem stares down for a moment, aghast, his lips still tingling. He knows there's blood welling up from the new bite mark on his neck, but it doesn't seem to matter. As if it's somebody else's problem. Even with Rathien's attempt at gutting him less than a minute in the past, Salem isn't ready for the vitriol, the raw emotion with which Rathien speaks.

He's vaguely aware of the other people moving and shouting. A part of his mind is taking notes, cataloguing for later use-- Keshin... or at least Joanne. Trying to help. That means that she still considers him an ally. Good. Myitt... or at least Tara. Terenia. And others. New faces. Not as many as he'd hoped, but some.

And all of this is not his problem. Not through the waves of heat that seem to swim through him as his mind is unsure whether to feel shame or rage or pity or regret or something else entirely. His body is still raging with adrenaline, his fight-or-flight instincts still screaming at his every nerve.

"You've spent years hunting me," Salem begins, quietly. "You've tried to kill me more times than I can count. Then suddenly, when you can't anymore, you 'trust' me!?" He's practically shouting now, the anger beginning to win the war for his emotions. "We had a good thing, but how was I supposed to know you weren't just using me? How am I supposed to know, even now, that this isn't all some ploy to find a way to remove your nanites!? That's what I'd do if..." he cuts himself short before he can say 'if I was in your place,' but even he can tell he's already gone too far.

Salem's Story

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5391 on: January 28, 2017, 05:16:26 PM »
Rathien snarls.  "I just tried to kill you, dumb-ass!  You think I give a **** anymore?  The whole time after you ditched me, I've been waiting to melt inside out for no apparent reason whatsoever!  Do you KNOW what that feels like?  Knowing you could die at any moment without warning?  Nothing you can do to prevent it?  Nothing you can do to stop it?!"  He grimaces somewhere between pain, anger, and sadness...

"I have always ALWAYS controlled my own destiny.  My own Fate for ****'s sake!  A part of me still wants to see you dead, and the rest of me doesn't want to live like that!  If I'm going to die from this ****, I'm going to be the one controlling when and where it happens!  YOU did this!  After you FORCED me to keep up with you, I tried to make the best of the situation...of the mess that YOU caused!  And through that...I...I started feeling comfortable.  And...and I don't ****ing know what happened okay?!  I just thought...****."  The hot tears leaking from his eyes increase.  "You and your damn pemalite-robot boyfriend.  And I was...I was...happy.  Happier than I've ever been, knowing there was someone in this damn galaxy that would ****ing care when I died.  Or so I thought."

He pushes his balled up hand against Salem's chest, unable to muster any force into it.  "You should've ****ing killed me on that moon.  You should've bled me out on the rocks.  But you didn't, did you?  You abandoned me...threw everything we had into a star to burn and left me alone with the pain of it.  You're a cruel bastard, Tobias."

RAF Silverblade

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5392 on: January 28, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »
Joanne, sensing a pause in the action, walks over angrily towards Rathien and Salem. She keeps her gun in her right hand just in case things get unpleasant, pushing past Myitt. She stops when she's standing right behind the two and says, "Hey! What the hell's goin' on between you two, aw'right?! Are you lovers or fighters? Couldja even bloody make up your mind?"

Joanne sighed. "Look, all I'm sayin' is..." She held up a hand. "You guys need to calm down. I almost died like...thirty seconds ago, yeah? If you're gonna be bringin' the death, you're going to have to go through me first." She gives Rathien an irritated look. "Try and attack him again and I'll shoot."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey glances over at William, vaguely surprised there's anyone else around out here. It seemed like the real action was going on inside. "Well, uh, hello there then Knockoff Shakespeare, glad you're around I guess."

Jeffey listens to Al ramble on about the particulars of the ship, making a cleaning-out-his-ear motion to indicate his confusion and considerable boredom. "Sounds like some kinda mechanical Energy Manipulator but with way more range," he says with a shrug. His face then brightens. "What I will say it is is cool! You and your friend back at the Bar put on quite a show! Nice choice in the late 20th century stylings for the song by the way!  Gets the blood running inside ya."

"So if you're a machine inside the ship...why don't you come out here where we can see you? Seems like you'd better go after your buddy before he gets way in over his head. I managed to piss off everyone in there just by trying to do someone a favor." Jeffrey gives a "But that's neither here nor there" shrug.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #5393 on: January 29, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »
At Rathien's words, Salem presses his eyes shut. He can't... he can't... when he'd injected Rathien with the nanomachines, he hadn't anticipated this. Any of this.

"Rathien" he says quietly, eyes still shut, "I..." He pauses, unsure what to say. Where to begin. Should he just tell Rathien the truth, take the easy way out? No, there's no way he'd live through that.

"I'm sorry." He opens eyes, now brimming with tears, which he quickly blinks away. He leans down and kisses Rathien on the forehead. In contrast to the aggressiveness of Rathien's kiss, this is gentle, tender, and utterly at odds with Salem's usual ****y demeanor. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I never meant to leave without coming back... well, no, I meant to leave, but it took me about five minutes to change my mind. I was on my way back." He swallows, shaking his head a little. "It wasn't as simple as..."

He pauses, and looks up at Joanne. "Hey, Keshin," he says, smiling sadly. "It's... it's really good to see you two. You're the last people I expected to run into at this place, but I'm glad you're here. Thanks for the assist."

With a grunt, he climbs to his feet, then offers a hand to Rathien. "Can I buy you a drink?" he asks him, indicating the door to the bar. "We've got a lot to talk about."

"It's exactly like a Mechanical Energy whatever-you-said!" exclaims the voice from the floating black ship. "Definitely the same thing! And yeah, I've been studying up on twentieth and twenty-first century Earth, because this place seems to have some kind of obsession with it. I swear everyone here has some strong connection to it. I just re-discovered that old vinyl this morning. I couldn't resist sharing."

"Go after my buddy?" The voice pauses. "Oh, crap. That's Rathien. The hell did I miss?" There's another brief pause. "Jeeze, they got into a fight? Can't I leave him alone for two freaking minutes?"

There's a sigh, and the seemingly-seamless black orb splits open across the middle, its impossibly black exterior giving way to a gunmetal grey interior as the ramp drops towards the ground. At the same time, three square sections of the bottom of the craft begin to lower towards the ground, the square feet moving noiselessly downward on thick metal rods, everything except the surfaces which face outward is colored the same dark, metallic color.

The three feet settle into the dirt at about the same time as the end of the ramp-- the ship doesn't move even a fraction of an inch as its various surfaces open and extend, but by the time they've stopped its full weight is resting on the three feet.

Footsteps can be heard clack-clacking their way down the ramp, and soon a man appears at the bottom. He's a bit under six feet tall, wearing a tidy, trim grey business suit and a black bowler hat with a shiny gold band. The tie that can be seen peeking out over his buttoned suit jacket is also a gaudy shiny gold, though this is interspersed with dozens of little yellow-and-black smiley faces. The man's dark hair and his facial features suggest that he's mostly Cherokee descent. The hair that can be seen under the hat is long enough to be called 'shaggy,' though it appears well-kempt and somehow manages to convey an air of professionalism.

The man turns around at the end of the ramp and walks around the ship to where Jeffrey and William are standing. Even as he does, the ship's ramp begins to close up again without so much as a sound. He approaches the two men with a warm, genuine smile, and extends his hand to each of them in turn.

"Good to meet you both in the flesh," he says. His voice is the one that's been playing from the exterior of the craft; he now speaks with no distortion whatsoever. "And you're right. I oughtta go check on bonehead over there," he jerks a thumb towards the bar, "before he gets himself killed."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:12:25 PM by Aluminator (Kit) »

Salem's Story

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5394 on: January 30, 2017, 03:01:49 AM »
Rathien looks up at Salem, incredulous.  He can't decide whether to be furious, happy, or homicidal.  He kicks his bottom feet up to land in a standing position, and then takes Salem's hand, pulling him in close.  "You don't deserve the chance to explain.  Nevertheless, my curiosity has the better of me.  This does NOT mean that I forgive you."

He lets go of Salem's hand and turns toward the bar, bending down to pick up each fighting blade as he passes.  He walks past Myitt and Keshin, tapping the flat of a blade between Keshin's shoulder-blades.  "So much for the code, eh 'brother?'"  He sneers at Keshin before glancing back at Salem.  "Well, liera?  We don't have all night.  Or maybe we do.  But I'm not willing to wait that long."  He invests the endearment with a fair amount of irony and scorn.  Given Salem's propensity to forget stuff, he might not even remember what the word from his old language even means, and he would have to remember since his translator chip hadn't heard enough Ildari to work properly with it.  Unless that had been a lie as well.

RAF Silverblade

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5395 on: January 31, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »
"Yeah, uhhh, no problem..." says Joanne, blushing a bit and rubbing the back of her head. Getting thanked by anyone tended to make her feel awkward. "...it's just an eye for an eye. That's really all. What..." Joanne's posture and attitude suddenly shift into the stiffer, more authoritative gait recognizable as Keshin. "Never mind that. What happened, Salem? What is your relationship with Rathien, exactly? I think I speak for everyone..."

Keshin gestures out at the rest of the Bar behind him. "...when I say that what just happened scared the ever-loving crap out of us. Myitt already took a moment to stab me in the neck. If it's not too private, we'd all love to hear i---"

Keshin twitches as Rathien happens to tap almost the exact spot where they nearly bled out on the ground. The alien certainly had a way of cutting to the literal point of the matter. "The code in most galaxies says protect your own, but it also says 'Give back what you were given," hisses Keshin. "And we very well might owe Salem our lives. Last time we were here, he protected us from almost every other being in this room. Credit where it is due, Rathien, whatever your...relation to him might be."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey watches with interest as the ship unfolds, trying to track its movements. He was no Technopath or skilled machinist, but he did know a good piece of work when he saw one. He takes out his phone, presses a button, and raises the phone up to take a video of the ship in motion. If I ever talk to Auto again, he'd love a look at this beautiful thing. Not that I've been able to contact anybody from home since I got here. Which for him was an extra level of confusing, because it seemed like all of these Yeerks and blue deer or whatever could call people just fine.

Once the stranger arrives, Jeffrey smiles and shakes his hand vigorously. He looks up and down at the man's suit, and says with a hint of amusement, "I mean you could afford to have a little bit more decorum with it, but props. I like it. Glad to meet the man of the hour in person."

"And like, be careful when going into that Bar," says Jeffrey, gesturing for the man to follow him back into the building. "I don't know what you just heard in there, but I've seen everything from weird giant lizard birds to skeleton kids. Then again..." Jeffrey takes stock of the other man for a moment. "...you guys seem to be regulars, either way. I'm not. I just got here, and I still don't know how that happened. I'm pretty sure I died."

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:01:59 PM by Shenmue654 »

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5396 on: January 31, 2017, 09:35:31 PM »
Myitt keeps a hold on Guppy's arm.

"Come with me," she tells him under her breath, leading Guppy across the bar and towards Terenia.

In doing so she passes by Joanne and Keshin. "I said I was sorry," she murmurs bitterly, hesitantly meeting their gaze.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #5397 on: January 31, 2017, 11:14:10 PM »
As the adrenaline leaves his system, Salem begins to feel weak, and even more exhausted than he had a few minutes before. If that's even possible. There's a last spurt of adrenaline into his blood as Rathien pulls him close, but it doesn't last, and his little post-adrenaline crash continues.

"It's..." he begins, speaking to Keshin in a low voice, "kind of a long story. Boy meets boy. Boy repeatedly tries to kill boy to collect bounty. Boy ties boy's fate to boy using boy's..." He stops, frowning. "I sound like freaking Al, don't I?" He sighs. "Short version? We have a history, and there are a few things we need to hash out." He glances at Rathien and swallows. "Hopefully with a minimum of bloodshed." He looks back at Joanne. "I'll fill you in later."

He blinks, and stares at Myitt as she walks by leading a... blind man? That's a new one... then glances down at Joanne's neck. "She... stabbed you?" What little color is still in his face drains, leaving him looking pallid and almost gaunt. "For the love of Thaum..." he mutters under his breath. "I take it you two haven't exactly reconciled since I last saw you?" He searches her eyes, concerned. "What made you decide to come back here?"

Liera. One of Rathien's little pet names for him. As always, he likes the sound, but damned if he can't remember the meaning. Which, he figures, is fine-- the meaning is clearly conveyed in the tone.

Salem shakes his head, and begins to follow Rathien. He's procrastinating, he knows-- this is not a conversation he's eager to have-- but finding out what's happened to Keshin and Joanne is important, isn't it?

He sidles up next to Rathien at the bar. "I'm glad you haven't forgiven me yet, pup." He winces slightly. It's his favorite old name for Rathien-- half demeaning and half endearing-- and it's come so easily he didn't even notice it slip from his lips until it's too late. "I'd be..." he clears his throat. "I'd be disappointed if all it took was a near-stabbing."

He waves the bartender over. He can swear he feels the strange man laughing at him, though the bartender's expression doesn't change. "You got any coffee?" he asks. The bartender's only reply is a silent stare, but Salem nods. "Coffee for me. Black. And for Rathien here..." he looks at the Ildari, "miruvin tonight?" He swallows, and turns to stare at the back of the bar rather than at Rathien. "For what it's worth, Rathien, I'm glad you're not dead."

Al grins. "Hey, I know how to make an entrance. No need to go all-out every time. I was just trying to help Sir Gets-Attacked-A-Lot," he jerks a thumb at the bar, "with his."

He blows air in an exasperated raspberry. "So it sounds like this little slice of heaven hasn't changed one little bit since I last saw it. You know, it's been a dream of mine to open a dance club on the other side of this little rock. No stabbings allowed. Drive this place right out of business." He laughs at his own terrible joke.

He raises one eyebrow expertly. "You died? I have... so many questions about that. Firstly: What!? Also: How? Where? Why? When? Who and/or whom, if applicable? Aaaannnnnd..." he thinks for a moment, "Are you sure you're dead? Because you don't look all that dead to me."

Salem's Story

guitarhero01234

« Reply #5398 on: January 31, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »
"Yeah, thanks," Guppy says when Myitt grabs his arm. He doesn't seem to take notice of her intense grip. "Myitt, I think you were right, this place is a little crazy," he says quietly with a small laugh. He doesn't hear the strangers fighting anymore, so things seem relatively safe. For now.

"So, what just happened? CliffsNotes version would probably be preferable."

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5399 on: February 01, 2017, 02:22:47 AM »
"Yeah," Myitt murmurs to Guppy. "Crazy ain't the half of it, kid. Short version, um..."

She smiles apologetically at Keshin and Joanne.

"Rathien and an old...acquaintance of mine, Salem, and Salem's...friend...they just...arrived and tried to kill each other. Or maybe they're on a date right now. I...I really don't..." She shakes her head now, utterly at a loss.