Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 226570 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #3285 on: September 09, 2011, 06:00:53 AM »
Yeah, what Parker and Luke said.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while bar fights definitely break out, they aren't the soul of the roleplay. The vast majority of us are here for the sake of character development. We've run into problems in the past where people have come in under the assumption that the point of this rp is battling characters against one another. Not only is this not the point; it would be extremely fatal for some of our characters if everyone used everything they had.

For example, all of my characters are directly from the Animorphs universe. I have two humans, a Yeerk and an Andalite. Any of these characters would be destroyed immediately by someone who not only has the sort of powers you're talking about, but acts to use them offensively (or hell, even defensively. Terenia's been known to attack those way outside of her skill range). That poses a big problem. I don't want my characters to die. I like them. They are my friends.

Essentially, the rule is this (with some minor exceptions made to more experienced players like Shenmue and Ossanlin, because they know how to impose restrictions upon themselves): If a normal, average human armed with a single Dracon/Shredder cannot hope to survive then it is too powerful for the GESB-verse. It's important to keep in mind that while this rp welcomes characters from all 'verses (including original ones) it is first and foremost an Animorphs rp.

Hope that helps. :)

Also: TARA POST!!!!!!!

That is all.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #3286 on: September 09, 2011, 06:13:13 AM »
The Great and Powerful Jessi has spoken!  (Oh dear)   Pay no mind to that woman behind the curtain!

Ah movie references...   ;D
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3287 on: September 09, 2011, 09:40:41 AM »
Yeah Tara, I thought you were back.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #3288 on: September 09, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »
I specifically mentioned he would NOT be omnipotent. If he accesses the Ke, it would be because of extreme fear, and so he couldn't control it very well. Also, a side note(I should've mentioned it before but I thought you guys knew my chary better :P) Reptilinod are not very emotional. So it would take some great bastardization to scare Vogefac. Reptilinod are also very proud. It would take a lot for him to feel that he couldn't take on an opponent normally. Plus, he doesn't even KNOW the Ke are still with him. He thinks they've gone.

You're right Luke, I actually had weaknesses, but I forgot to put them in the post like I'd planned. First, like I said before, he couldn't focus the power very well. Second, after te Ke leave him again he suffers extreme exhaustion. No mortal was meant to manipulate space-time at all, albeit weakly in Vogefac's case :P And third, afterwards his body is in a state of extreme vulnerability until he is rested up and gets over his exhaustion.

Oh, AND, it can take him around 8 seconds to access the Ke, in which time he is paralyzed, and open to attack.

Is that alright?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:11:58 AM by RAFrukh »
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3289 on: September 09, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »
Yeah Tara, I thought you were back.

She is back, but she's bogged down with graduate school work right now. Lots of reading and class and lifting dinosaur footprints.

I'll try and poke her later tonight when I see her online. :P

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #3290 on: September 09, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
Is this question just for future reference? Or did you have a "this might happen soon" situation in mind? Again, you're character's already kinda beefy, with its powerful weapons and such. However this is up to the RP mods, and you should probably PM them with examples of possible posts & abilities/attacks.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #3291 on: September 09, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »
Caleb, it sounds like you're putting some pretty decent thought into weaknesses and such for this ability, but I'm a little confused. I gotta ask: why do you feel it's necessary to give Vogefac any more abilities? He's one of the most powerful characters at the bar already, and besides that (as Jessi pointed out), the focus of the GESB is rarely on a situation in which he'd have need of such abilities. You could finagle with the mods and work on balancing abilities until you turn blue in the face, but I'm not entirely sure I see the point.

My personal opinion (it's obviously still the mods' say in the end) is that, sure, he could have the abilities, but don't be surprised if there's never a situation in which he needs them, especially from the way you've described the limitations. The GESB has a way of taking the best-laid plans and turning them on their heads.

Shawn, I meant to say something along those lines to you as well (and I guess just as a general reminder to everyone who hasn't already figured this out)- you've got plans for storylines and incidents and scenes (dropping the rose, asking Sami to follow Larry into the fight with Ba'al), which is great. Let's face it- a good narrative spirit is a fantastic thing to have in a narrative-style RP like this- can't have great stories without great storytellers ;) Just keep in mind that a narrative-style RP is not like writing a fanfic. All the characters here are played by different people, so things will always, always be unpredictable. All planned storylines or scenes or whatever need to be very flexible and subject to change- they'll rarely go the way you envision. I've still got scenes and interactions in mind from back when I joined that I'd love to see play out- and I know that even if they do, they may not go as I see them. It's a big part of what's kept this RP going for nearly 1200 pages now- every single one of us is basically just along for the ride ;D

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #3292 on: September 09, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »
That's a VERY interesting question Lumy...I never thought about why he would need them. I was simply drawn to the thought that a telepathic link with the beige that hold the universe together can't be easily broken. Although...I'm not quite convinced he's the most powerful critter in the bar :P

I never planned to debate this for too long. That already happened to me when I wanted to level 1/4 of the asteroid...in fact, I was thinking about ending it right about now. Your question was very thought-provoking in that I'd never thought aboutthat. Injust thought it logical that the bind would still be there...hmm...

In order to avoid any more "wrestling", and considering the fact that I really DO have no need of those abilities...maybe I should just leave it be. I can see severe character problems for Vogefac in the future if he had those abilities anyway, like becoming a very shallow character. He doesn't have a very extensive backstory anyway. Giving him Ke-powers would probably just make him less interesting.

Yea, skip that idea. :P
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3293 on: September 09, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »
May I ask how old Noah is?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #3294 on: September 10, 2011, 12:03:48 AM »
Good call Rukh. The idea is pretty cool, but it may just be a bit much for the GESB, you know? But that's why it's fun to take those characters and use them in Intro Randomness and Free for All.

Chad, for shame, asking a lady her age. :nonono: ;D

Offline Twilight_Pixie

• Don't doubt me.
« Reply #3295 on: September 10, 2011, 12:17:12 AM »
lol Noah is 22. May I ask why you want to know

Help my dragon grow big and strong

Offline Midnight_Huntress

• The Shadow Walker.....
  • Xtreme Member
  • The Night is my haven, try to get me if you can...
« Reply #3296 on: September 10, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »
Don't ask why I decided Silver would be more p****d than shocked it just happened.......is it good?
J-man is my RAFcousin
Broken is my RAFfather
Darth Vader (Shorty) is my RAFuncle
Reunited with my RAFlove Parker

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #3297 on: September 10, 2011, 12:34:33 AM »
It was great, and completely understandable.

Offline Midnight_Huntress

• The Shadow Walker.....
  • Xtreme Member
  • The Night is my haven, try to get me if you can...
« Reply #3298 on: September 10, 2011, 12:53:55 AM »
Yeah?
J-man is my RAFcousin
Broken is my RAFfather
Darth Vader (Shorty) is my RAFuncle
Reunited with my RAFlove Parker

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #3299 on: September 10, 2011, 07:52:30 AM »
Sorry, can only post quickly, won't get off of work 'til 3pm PST, so if you guys wouldn't mind getting too far from me, I'd appreciate it. ;D

Thanks. Good to be back!