Author Topic: Rumor has it, that an Animorphs 2.0 might be in the works...with Scholastic!  (Read 20731 times)

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
Re: Rumor has it, that an Animorphs 2.0 might be in the works...with Scholastic!
« Reply #270 on: November 28, 2009, 03:10:05 PM »
The thing about new fans is they will more then likely be alot younger so we'd have to be alot more careful with how we talk and what we talk about on here.

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
Re: Rumor has it, that an Animorphs 2.0 might be in the works...with Scholastic!
« Reply #271 on: November 28, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »
The thing about new fans is they will more then likely be alot younger so we'd have to be alot more careful with how we talk and what we talk about on here.

Because it's all sex, guns, and drugs with us. ;) *snorts, and then coughs halfway*

Seriously though, I do like the idea of watching spoilers. Maybe make a sub-forum for non-spoiler topics, or vice versa...?

Also, just a reminder: nothing has been confirmed about edits, new models, artwork, etc. The new covers could very well just be the revamp of old covers with a different layout (I'm guessing). So let's not get too ahead of ourselves here, or build too high of an expectation from this re-release, in terms of changes. The series is still going to start and end the same way. (Although I'm glad that there is a good amount of positive reception from this bit of news, it could very well open up new possibilities if it goes well).

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #272 on: November 28, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »

yeah, i wouldn't like a sudden surge of young'uns on RAF.
maybe we could make a minimum age requirement? (13+)

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #273 on: November 28, 2009, 03:47:18 PM »
Yeah, 13 is a good starting age. I was 12 or 13 I think when I first started reading them.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »
What, no RAFKids forum? The new generation of fans will need a place, too.  :P

Personally, any work to be done to an established series like this makes me nervous. I don't like the thought of someone screwing everything up. A rerelease of the books would probably be a good thing, but I don't actually want them to edit the series (much). I love Animorphs for what it is, flaws and all.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:52:40 PM by Aluminator »

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline donmoosavi

« Reply #275 on: December 07, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »
Hey; I haven't quite read all of the pages of this thread, so i don't know if I'm repeating anyone-I just wanted to say how I'm not sure whether Animorphs 2.0 is a good idea. First of all, the series has all but lost all its marketability. The 99% fans of Animorphs now are those who were fans during the height of its popularity; even during the height of popularity, many left Animorphs as they felt it was getting boring and repetitive, or were to impatient to read the releases; so even then marketability struggled. I don't think Animorphs has the durability of fanbase the way a series like, say, Harry Potter does.  I don't think Animorphs would be successful if rebooted, especially since I believe it may start up and come to a complete stop in between the series.

And again, what could you really improve about Animorphs? I mean, I'm not blind; I see that the series has faults. Some loose ends. Some plot holes. However, I don't think it's worth a complete rewrite, or even a spinoff. A Spinoff would have to take place after the Beginning, into the realm of intense sci-fi; we would be past the level of missions, adventures, etc with morphing and move on to space battles and intergalactic missions if were were continuing the story. Many also mention the many "useless" books, books that did not impact the series. I personally liked those as well, because they had interesting happenings and were funny, and were entertaining to read.

Why would you want to make Animorphs for more "mature" readers. IMO i like the way it is; it is accessible by all. I read it when I was a kid, loving it. I read it again as a teenager, understanding much more in depth and loving it even more. I am in the process of reading it again now, at 17, and am still equally enjoying the books. There are layers of understanding here (although I think the last 5-10 books went completely over my head when I was 9, but now I regard them as completely badass and epic)

Last, I think the main reason we want a rewrite is Rachel. I know I don't want Rachel to die. I know that everytime I reread a book in the series I force myself to forget what happens at the end so I can pretend she is still among the Animorphs, up until the time she died in the opening chapters of the Beginning. K.A. Applegate can't change this, folks. Rachel is dead. The Animorphs are broken up. Ax is possessed by the One. Nothing will change that.

Not even a remake.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »
I'd rather not dive into another Rachel death debate, since there are those that really feel her death was justified, while others feel if you etsablish a series where no main character dies, and even give an in universe example (which many shows don't, even though no main character dies or stays dead), then killing someone off in the last book in some contrived way just doesn't make sense.

If they do the rewrite, and feel that Rachel just has to die again, I hope they make it less idiotic. Of course Rachel's death was just the tip of the iceberg as far as what is wrong with the final arc and ending. I really really wish I was a good writer so I could make my own fix fic for the whole series.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #277 on: December 07, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
careful on the spoilers, please.

use [spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline KOFSoldier

« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
I have no problem with [spoiler]Rachel dying[/spoiler], but I do hate all the loose ends that weren't tied up. I swear the entire book is just like one huge cliffhanger. I mean, we find out what happens to Toby, but we don't find out what became of Chapman (who had a HUGE central role at the beginning)? Really?

The only part of the book that actually felt "final" was K.A.'s letter at the end.
I REALLY hope they patch these (and some other) things up in the remake...

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2009, 11:59:28 PM »
Uhm, I didn't feel like reading 18 pages. Could someone give me a rundown on what's up, please?
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #281 on: December 08, 2009, 12:14:41 AM »
maybe they're doing this instead of the movie
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2009, 11:51:49 PM »
they definitely wouldnt replace a movie with a rerelease of the series, theres no reason they cant do both
Hey; I haven't quite read all of the pages of this thread, so i don't know if I'm repeating anyone-I just wanted to say how I'm not sure whether Animorphs 2.0 is a good idea. First of all, the series has all but lost all its marketability. The 99% fans of Animorphs now are those who were fans during the height of its popularity; even during the height of popularity, many left Animorphs as they felt it was getting boring and repetitive, or were to impatient to read the releases; so even then marketability struggled. I don't think Animorphs has the durability of fanbase the way a series like, say, Harry Potter does.  I don't think Animorphs would be successful if rebooted, especially since I believe it may start up and come to a complete stop in between the series.

And again, what could you really improve about Animorphs? I mean, I'm not blind; I see that the series has faults. Some loose ends. Some plot holes. However, I don't think it's worth a complete rewrite, or even a spinoff. A Spinoff would have to take place after the Beginning, into the realm of intense sci-fi; we would be past the level of missions, adventures, etc with morphing and move on to space battles and intergalactic missions if were were continuing the story. Many also mention the many "useless" books, books that did not impact the series. I personally liked those as well, because they had interesting happenings and were funny, and were entertaining to read.

Why would you want to make Animorphs for more "mature" readers. IMO i like the way it is; it is accessible by all. I read it when I was a kid, loving it. I read it again as a teenager, understanding much more in depth and loving it even more. I am in the process of reading it again now, at 17, and am still equally enjoying the books. There are layers of understanding here (although I think the last 5-10 books went completely over my head when I was 9, but now I regard them as completely badass and epic)

Last, I think the main reason we want a rewrite is Rachel. I know I don't want Rachel to die. I know that everytime I reread a book in the series I force myself to forget what happens at the end so I can pretend she is still among the Animorphs, up until the time she died in the opening chapters of the Beginning. K.A. Applegate can't change this, folks. Rachel is dead. The Animorphs are broken up. Ax is possessed by the One. Nothing will change that.

Not even a remake.

the thing is this wouldnt be aimed at people who are currently fans but of nabbing the next generation of readers, it would be aimed at 8-14 year olds who have never heard of animorphs before. And you said its accessible now but it really isnt at all, its not sold in any stores and very few people know about the ebooks here (on that subject RAF will definitely have to take those down when the books are released again, scholastic might even contact richard before the release and tell him to take them down ahead of time)

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #283 on: December 10, 2009, 12:34:18 AM »
duff, we have another thread discussing the ebooks situation. :)
http://animorphsforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,4149.0.html

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #284 on: December 11, 2009, 06:18:40 PM »
ah sounds like smarter men than I are already thinking about the problem lol thanks for the link goom