Author Topic: Group Re-Read: Week 4, #4 The Message  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: Week 4, #4 The Message
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
Summary

It all started with the dreams. But Cassie didn't pay much attention to them. She and her friends had all been having weird dreams ever since they'd first learned to morph. Maybe it was just some crazy side effect.
That's when Cassie discovers that Tobias has been having the exact same dreams. Dreams about the ocean. And a strange feeling that someone is caling to them. Calling for help.
Now Cassie, Tobias, Jake, Rachel, and Marco have to figure out if the dreams are a message - or a trap. And if it is a trap, it could mean the end - for everyone...

Questions
1) One of the big issues in this book is Cassie making decisions and shouldering the responsibilities of those decisions. How do you think she handles it? Are her doubts legitimate or is she too much of a cry-baby? Razz

2) What do you think about the whole dolphin-whale scene where Cassie and the whale have an entire conversation (sort of). Do you think that was a good choice to put in, or superfluous and a bit unrealistic?

3) Yay for 90's references! All of the dolphin's they acquire are named for the cast of Friends. Take a minute and reflect. What are some of your favorite Animorphs 90's references?

4) What's your first impression of Ax?

Quotes To Ponder
"'The sharks[...] were so totally deadly. I mean, we worry about Hork-Bajir and Taxxons and Visser Three. You kind of forget that right here on little old planet Earth there are creatures just as tough and dangerous. It would be funny if it wasn't some alien that ended up getting us, but some normal Earth creature.'
I didn't think it was funny at all.
Marco grinned at my stone face. "Okay, not funny ha-ha. More like funny weird.'"

Note: Feel free to answer any or none of my questions, ask your own, and just discuss the book and previous books. Next week we will be reading #5 The Predator.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline WildAtHeart

• My Myspace
Re: Group Re-Read: Week 4, #4 The Message
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
This was my first Animorphs book ever. I still remember the day i got it.  I remember loving Ax as soon as we met him.

And the dolphin/whale convo I found to be really realistic.  I have always believed, based on stuff I have spent some time researching, that dolphins/whales are at least as intelligent as humans

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »
1) Elaborate please. What decisions and responsibilities did she feel not up to task about?

2) I didn't like it. Yeah. I guess it was to show how Cassie is so in tune with nature but that was silly even for a story about shapeshifting kids battling aliens. I meam talking whales?

3) Pick and choose your witty comment from Marco

4) I saw the beginnings of a very intteresting character that was already easy to relate to. You could tell he was also just a kid in way over his head

This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 05:11:44 PM »
1) Elaborate please. What decisions and responsibilities did she feel not up to task about?

Cassie doesn't want to make the plan for saving Ax because if something should happen to one of the other Ani's she doesn't want the responsibility/guilt of being the one to send them into danger. This was shown especially with how she reacted to Marco's near-death experience with the shark.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 05:50:37 PM »
1) One of the big issues in this book is Cassie making decisions and shouldering the responsibilities of those decisions. How do you think she handles it? Are her doubts legitimate or is she too much of a cry-baby? Razz
In my opinion, very legimate. she's worrying about life or death, or here friends' life or death. I mean I worry about whether I should eat bread or noodles for breakfast. I think I'd go crazy if I had to decide whether we live or whether we die.

2) What do you think about the whole dolphin-whale scene where Cassie and the whale have an entire conversation (sort of). Do you think that was a good choice to put in, or superfluous and a bit unrealistic?
It seems a bit unrealistic, but I can't think of any better way of them finding the dome

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »
1) One of the big issues in this book is Cassie making decisions and shouldering the responsibilities of those decisions. How do you think she handles it? Are her doubts legitimate or is she too much of a cry-baby?

Her doubts are legitimate, for sure, but she still could have handled it better. She loved coming up with plans and making decisions, but she didn't want to feel responsible when things went bad. Well honey, that's the way the world is.

I loved it. It was different then anything that's come before in the book series, and it was unexpected.
3) Yay for 90's references! All of the dolphin's they acquire are named for the cast of Friends. Take a minute and reflect. What are some of your favorite Animorphs 90's references?

4) What's your first impression of Ax?

I actually didn't think he'd be sticking around as a main character. Sure, I loved him, but I thought for sure he;d be gone hone within a book or two, at first. I was glad they kept him though.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:37:18 PM »
I am yet to re-read this book for some details. But from what I remember we get a glimpse at Cassie's following her instincts and sort of co-ercing the others, they almost dying on the sea, for the sake of 'dreams' inside her head. But in the end, they added an invaluable ally to their team.
A sort of level one of the 'stupidly-seeming' decisions she makes, like the one on #50: The Ultimate, where she strikes Jake so the Yeerks get a hold of the Morphing Tech. Who would have known it would actually separate factions within the Yeerk Invasion??
A very good key on the character Cassie.

Another thing I get from this book is the early suggestion of her being 'sub-temporarily grounded'. Cassie seems to have some sort of a 'heightened unconscious intuitive'. Where she tapped into the 'Mirro-wave calls' in order to save someone who would become a great friend.
Amazing!

Keeping in mind she's a very young girl, she is by no means a cry-baby, in my books. Anyone who can do what she does is an aspiration to humanity. I always thought she was one of the strongest characters Applegate created.

Terenia, I didn't know the dolphins' names were reference to the show Friends. Never really got into that series. But it's funny to know.

I personally loved the connection with the whale scene. It wasn't hard to be sold to me, because I felt it was in tone with the whole plot of the book.

Onto, Ax, he came off as I would expect an alien to. I half-way knew he was a kid-Andalite before they stated it. Only because his 'voice' wasn't like the adult Elfangor, dunno. I remember feeling it when I first read it. But he did have the certain Andalite arrogance we would later come to know and love, that his brother managed not to have.
I was so happy and glad he joined the Animorphs. And the frolis manuever stunt at the end was pretty spiffy, too!
Interesting choice to introduce him into the Animorphs series in this third book. How long would he have stayed under the ocean? Was it 3 weeks??