Author Topic: Animorphs Relaunch covers and updates  (Read 71606 times)

Offline Magdaleen

• wow, i sure haven't been here in a while. hello
Re: Check out what I found~
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »
The new cover being ugly might just be because of the lizard. And because mid-morphs always look kinda gross.

I've analyzed the cover, i.e. what and how the cover elements will change by each book.

And I wonder how the rest of the new models will look like...

Offline borboleta

« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »
My opinion on the new cover:

They are trying way too hard to make it look "technological" and also "extraterrestrial."  The luminescent green... the digitized fonts... the reptilian skin print in the background.  They'd do better to simplify, and not lean too heavy on the cliched alien esthetic.  After all, one of the strong points of the series is the diversity of "alien" material/perspectives presented - we don't just get Area 51, little green men kind of stuff.   

They do the writing a disservice by representing it in such a cliched way.  As a kid, I would be thinking "not another book about aliens... same old, same old."

Offline Magdaleen

• wow, i sure haven't been here in a while. hello
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2010, 12:02:10 PM »
My opinion on the new cover:

They are trying way too hard to make it look "technological" and also "extraterrestrial."  The luminescent green... the digitized fonts... the reptilian skin print in the background.

That's just for the first book, because Jake is morphing a lizard.

On book #2 it will most likely look pretty different, since Rachel is morphing a cat.
Picture the same kind of cover, but with cat fur texture in the background and brownish shades instead of green shades. And Rachel morphing a cat instead of Jake morphing a lizard.
That would look much more innocent and less alien-ish, don't you think?

And book 1 and 2 will get released at the same time, so...

Offline borboleta

« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »
Yeah... you're right!  Cat hair would soften it up quite a bit.  It is unforutnate that the first one is going to look stereotypically alien, but I can see that it won't carry over to the others.   :)

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »
Yeah... you're right!  Cat hair would soften it up quite a bit.  It is unforutnate that the first one is going to look stereotypically alien, but I can see that it won't carry over to the others.   :)

what about the alligator crocodile book? :-\

Offline Kyle

« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »
Lol, don't blame animals for looking like what we imagine aliens to look like. We humans just apply what we know about animals and apply them to aliens anyway. A crock themed cover would have crock scales.

But I don't think any of my criticisms are things that will be book dependent.  the lenticular square looking like too much of an afterthought, the new logo font, removal of the quote tags, the Scholastic logo dead center, If these things don't change I'll still hate them. Ive mentioned before the scales are the one thing I don't mind.  What they need to do is find a way to integrate the lenticular square into the cover art more. instead of being a pefect square have parts of it obscured by the background, as if your peeking in from a hole in the animal pattern.  Im not a a fan of the lenticular thing anyway. its fine for maybe the inside art, or even the back, but the front? it just feels too gimmicky.  Still if it must be used I think they could work with it more so it feels like its a part of the cover.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:14:48 PM by Kyle »

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2010, 02:05:38 PM »
Okay, what about the books where they're morphing human??? Would it be skin, or clothing? Random question...

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2010, 02:11:52 PM »
that's what i was wondering too, actually.

i really wish they'd let us see a preview of jake and the lizard alone (instead of just the mid-morph)

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »
alright, watching it now. used my own :P
i'll try and get the vid for you if you want, truth.

Nah, don't worry about it, I got it covered.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtrN8GIN0Mw[/youtube]

Quick note, the stuff at the beginning was not meant to be part of the video, that was just me having a bit of fun, I wanted to quickly show those two things: the new cover and the other image showing the difference morph stages.
@Goom: You can see both Jake and the lizard for a second or two in the video here.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »
wow, i like the lizard even less now.

it doesn't look much like a green anole. too fat.
[spoiler=real anole][/spoiler]

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »
Y'know, I've been trying to not be judgemental, but I've decided that I really don't like their marketing plans.... I bet these people never even read them.

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2010, 06:37:51 AM »
Let us not forget that the covers weren't so awesome the first time around, either.

I mean, come on, how many times are the kids wearing polo shirts tucked into high-waisted pants?

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »
Oh! *sudden idea* Maybe the front cover is just Jake's face, since it was just his face in the original, too.  Maybe the other books will be more of the persons body morphing, rather than just a head. That would make things better...

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »
(...) What they need to do is find a way to integrate the lenticular square into the cover art more. instead of being a pefect square have parts of it obscured by the background, as if your peeking in from a hole in the animal pattern.

Agreed completely. I think it would be better if the entire cover was a lenticular cover rather than just the small piece of the square that we see. If they can do this with DVD covers, they why not for the entire book cover? My biggest concern right now though is that the square simply isn't just glued on there in a cheap sort of way (anything that might make it peel off), and is actually embedded in there. (It'd be like a new version of all those ripped morphing holes in the front covers from the previous books. :P)

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »
Oh! *sudden idea* Maybe the front cover is just Jake's face, since it was just his face in the original, too.  Maybe the other books will be more of the persons body morphing, rather than just a head. That would make things better...

That probably had more to do with the fact that the first couple books were done by a different artist.