Author Topic: why dont the yeerks also take gorillas as hosts?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Acalio-Laron-Jaham

why dont the yeerks also take gorillas as hosts?
« on: October 13, 2010, 05:03:29 PM »
gorrilla's physiology are very similar to humans, as we all know. they have the same hands with opposable thumbs, and so could operate the complex controls and machinery etc. also, gorrillas are much much more physically stronger than humans, so this would be an advantage over human hosts. and as for the level of intelligence, its not like the yeerks were using human hosts for the humans intelligence and anyway, as the yeerks are way more advanced already. they just need bodies.

so why not just take gorrilla hosts as well, along with taking human hosts? what have they got to lose?
and furthermore, a gorrilla would make much butter hosts then the taxxons and the gedds.

and with numbers problem, they could just implement a breeding program or perhaps cloning or growth acceleration. i'm sure this is not beyond their capabilities. i mean they went to the trouble of trying to infest sharks and horses.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Re: why dont the yeerks also take gorillas as hosts?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »
The lack of numbers would be an issue and the lack of easy communication (even if Gorilla bodies can speak Galard like the Horses could). Hork-Bajir are more accessible and probably considered more dangerous, despite the fact that Marco always beats them up. 
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
despite the fact that Marco always beats them up.
Good point.

Also, it's not like we have gorillas running around town, so they'd have to keep them hidden like the Hork-Bajir or Taxxons. They'd be useful hosts for sure, but they couldn't blend in with society, which would be a problem.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
Exactly. This basically puts them in the same boat as Hork-Bajir and Taxxons, except they'd have to waste resources hunting down a bunch of Gorillas. 
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »
It all comes down to who's running the planet. And that's humans. Why do you think they were invading U.S before anyone else? In a fight, you take the biggest guy down first and then worry about the rest later. (It's a bit of a simple spin on it, but I think I made my point :P)

As for the Sharks, those were never meant for Earth, but for Leera. And the horses were a throw away plan when they couldn't infiltrate with humans to Zone 91 (I really don't know what they were thinking with that).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:36:38 PM by Essam 293 »

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:26:49 PM »
Well, for one Gorillas are endangered so it's not like there would be a supply of them. Also, Gorillas don't really seem to be worth the trouble; sure they some minor advantages over human hosts, but nothing really worth while.
Meh.

Offline Aermin

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
It's also possible that the yeerks didn't want to infest another apes, as a kind of species-ism thing.  Yeerks learn through their hosts, and let's face it: most people don't have a lot of respect for gorillas and orangutans, despite their strength.  Perhaps the yeerks took on this subconscious discrimination?

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 02:06:55 AM »
It's more because there aren't a lot of Gorillas, and they can't use them in the cities, I think. Well, they could take 2 or 3 gorillas, but what would that change?
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
It's more because there aren't a lot of Gorillas, and they can't use them in the cities, I think. Well, they could take 2 or 3 gorillas, but what would that change?

I agree, gorillas wouldn't be much of a use to them. More of a hindrance in fact, imo.

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »
and with numbers problem, they could just implement a breeding program or perhaps cloning or growth acceleration. i'm sure this is not beyond their capabilities. i mean they went to the trouble of trying to infest sharks and horses.

If they had the ability to do this, why wouldn't they do it with the Hork-Bajir?

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
It all comes down to who's running the planet. And that's humans. Why do you think they were invading U.S before anyone else? In a fight, you take the biggest guy down first and then worry about the rest later. (It's a bit of a simple spin on it, but I think I made my point :P)

Yeah, the whole reason they invaded Earth was to infest the largest possible number of hosts and take control as quickly as possible.  I don't think gorillas qualify as a Class 5 species or whatever the classification for humans was.

If they had the ability to do this, why wouldn't they do it with the Hork-Bajir?

Come to think of it, couldn't they steal the Arn technology and bioengineer their own hosts?  Or was that too advanced for them to use?  I don't remember if that's addressed in tHBC.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »
i've thought about this; as long as the yeerks had already acquired the morphing technology, they could follow these steps to yield morph-capable gorilla hosts.
  • find a human controller allergic to gorilla dna.
  • acquire said animal.
  • perform the hereth illint, creating a brand new gorilla.
  • wash, rinse, repeat.
  • profit!

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
Yeah, but that could potentially take a very long time. :P A lot of humans. Probably a very small number are allergic to gorilla morph. Still harder to get them all in contact with a gorilla to try and acquire it...

Yeah, see, it's just easier to infest humans, of which there are several billion. XD

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 12:14:38 AM »
Yeah, but that could potentially take a very long time. :P A lot of humans. Probably a very small number are allergic to gorilla morph. Still harder to get them all in contact with a gorilla to try and acquire it...

Yeah, see, it's just easier to infest humans, of which there are several billion. XD

i know i know. i just thought it was amusing. :)

if only we could find a human allergic to human dna... ::)

• find a human controller allergic to gorilla human dna.
  • acquire human allergic to gorilla dna.
  • perform the hereth illint, creating a brand new source of potential gorillas.
  • newly 'burped' human enters gorilla loop
  • wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 10:27:01 PM »

i know i know. i just thought it was amusing. :)

if only we could find a human allergic to human dna... ::)

• find a human controller allergic to gorilla human dna.
  • acquire human allergic to gorilla dna.
  • perform the hereth illint, creating a brand new source of potential gorillas.
  • newly 'burped' human enters gorilla loop
  • wash, rinse, repeat.

Wouldn't a human who is allergic to human DNA have health problems?

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »
Wouldn't a human who is allergic to human DNA have health problems?

That is basically what auto-immune diseases are.  :P

As for the original topic (necro'd as it is) it's . . . actually a really intriguing idea, if the Yeerks went about it the right way.  But, don't think about it as an end goal, of obtaining non-sentient animal hosts.  Think of it as a means to an end, of obtaining more human hosts.

Gorillas would technically work for what I have in mind, but they might not be the best option.  Dogs (and I'm assuming here that they have bigger brains than horses and thus would be infest-able) would work so much better.

So . . . the main reason the Yeerks almost never transfer themselves from one host to another via ear-to-ear contact, is because the newly freed host would attack, blab, or at least make a run for it, right?  Whenever a Yeerk switches hosts, they either have to have a new Yeerk ready to take over, or find a way to discreetly murder the original host.

With non-sentient animals, this is no longer a problem.  Even if you assume the animal is smart enough to realize that the thing that was controlling it is now inside somebody else, it still probably won't know what to do with that information.  Thus, a Yeerk inside such an animal would be perfectly free to simply bear-hug the nearest human and make the switch.  Even if people were watching, nobody would be able to guess what was going on.

Like I said, a (captive) gorilla would work, particularly if the Yeerk was looking to infest the gorilla's zookeeper.  Or maybe they could stage an 'escape' from the zoo, and 'attack' somebody (all that would end up in the news would be 'such-and-such person was attacked by a gorilla!' and nobody would be the wiser about what really happened).

But, the real potential here is dogs.  Super-easy to capture for infestation, you just dress up like (or infest) a dog-catcher and play catch-and-release.  And probably about half of the human population owns a dog.  Sure, owned dogs are supposed to be subject to leash laws for exactly this reason, but nobody really follows those.  Step one, catch and infest a dog.  Step two, snuggle your head adorably against your master's ear, while the human is sleeping for best results.  Step three, re-infest the dog and repeat for remaining family members.

Bonus points if the Yeerks are able to identify and selectively capture the dogs owned by influential people.

P.S. Yeah, this is probably a silly idea.  But it still beats Yeerks-in-cell-phones!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:17:02 AM by DinosaurNothlit »