Author Topic: Could they have made Estrid a new Animorph?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Yorick Brown

Could they have made Estrid a new Animorph?
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »
I could see it.

The big plan is revealed. There's a scuffle between Gonrod and Arbat and Gonrod dies but not before destroying a control panel. The Animorphs rescue Ax and Estrid and all together to stop Arbat's plotto unleash the virus. The Animorphs stop Arbat and Estrid is stranded on Earth. Thus a new Animorph is born.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
Re: Could they have made Estrid a new Animorph?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:31:02 PM »
It would, at the very least, let them show the Yeerks, "Why, yes, there ARE female Andalite warriors!" for the few times Rachel or Cassie thought-spoke to Visser Three, possibly making him suspicious because Alloran would be all "Wtf? Female Andalites don't fight!"
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Vivi9087

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »
Well if you remember, when combat first broke out around her she froze up and then tried to hide behind the human cages at the Yeerk pool.  Maybe she could have joined and yeah it could have worked, but she was a scientist by nature and not a warrior.  The only real combat she had done was little duels with her brother (Who she learned to tail fight from).

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »
If Cassie of all people could learn to fight, so could Estrid
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Tiana

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
Estrid didn't think too highly of humans right? I don't think she would risk her life to help save Earth.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
I don't think Estrid would have made a good member of the team.  She doesn't seem as loyal or brave as Ax.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »
I'd agree that Estrid really wasn't the warrior type. She could tail fight sure, but she didn't have the heart for it and she didn't seem so keen on the idea of putting her life in danger to save humans. Taking that into account, would the other Animorphs (besides Ax) even want her on their team? Especially since she had originally deceived them.

Cassie may not enjoy fighting, but she was still willing to fight to protect the Earth and the people she cared for. Unlike Estrid. Perhaps if she had been stranded on Earth then she may have changed her views on Humans (like Ax) but we will never know for sure.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline wolfev

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 08:55:06 PM »
Estrid would have made Ax obsolete in many ways. She was an Andalite prodigy so Ax would not be there to explain Alien tech which was a big part of his character.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 09:38:46 PM »
The only reason KA would have Estrid stay is to give Ax a love interest. However, romance isn't a huge part of the series. Even Jake and Cassie or Rachel and Tobias never started going steady. Neither of those couples got to the "Yeah, we're dating and we're completely open about it" stage. Jake and Cassie kissed, but then their relationship fell apart after Cassie's betrayal.

I don't think it would do a whole lot of good to have Estrid stay. Though I did see potential in other areas that I believe were not fully utilized.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline wolfev

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:39:59 PM »
There could be a whole story with a subplot of Estrid falling for Marco and Ax being angry while Marco being creeped out by Estrid's Andalite affection.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »
WTH??!! ??? :P
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:27:27 PM »
There could be a whole story with a subplot of Estrid falling for Marco and Ax being angry while Marco being creeped out by Estrid's Andalite affection.
There have been multiple cases of interspecies relationships in Animorphs. That could be interesting, though perhaps cliche.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 10:31:42 PM »

Ha! Ha! Ha! I'd have Estrid stay just for that storyline!

But after listening to the responses (Estrid's lack of concern for humans, Ax becoming obsolete), I get why Applegate wouldn't stick with Estrid.
Who's doing this?

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
"because Alloran would be all "Wtf? Female Andalites don't fight!""

No, he wouldn't be cause he fought alongside Aldreia during the War for the Hork-Bajir race, and he even admitted to being really surprised at how well she handled herself during all of it.

Offline Venus

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
However, romance isn't a huge part of the series. Even Jake and Cassie or Rachel and Tobias never started going steady. Neither of those couples got to the "Yeah, we're dating and we're completely open about it" stage.

Not completely true. By the end of the series Tobachel were pretty open about it. I forget the exact qute but Tobias did refer to Rachel as his girlfriend while in conversation with the others. It was something along the lines of <Who's to say what's normal? I'm a bird, my girlfriend's a human and my best friend's an alien.> And other references were made to it, it was hardly a secret, just not something they went out of their way to advertise. They weren't making out during meetings but everyone was aware of what was going on. Off the top of my head I can remember Marco mentioning it a few times, Jake at least once. And I'm not talking about joking references meant to make Tobias and Rachel uncomfortable like Marco did in The Extreme, I'm talking about straight-forward references that the couple didn't refute.

...sorry I'm a total shipper.  :D  Tobachel FTW!