Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #52 The Sacrifice  (Read 4581 times)

Offline dolphin4077

Re: Group Re-Read: #52 The Sacrifice
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »
thanks, Gafrash.  As for the Yeerks using only golden eagles and peregrine falcons, I think KAA and ghostwriters used those animals because of the reputation that had been been built up about them in the series.  Even though the falcon was Jake's morph, Tobias has mentioned plenty of times how dangerous they are, and golden eagles are the most evil animal in the animorph universe.  Using those birds is a signal to the reader that something bad is going to go down.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 11:32:27 AM »
It's true that golden eagles are given a bad reputation in the books, and I think David getting one is supposed to be another red flag that he's a bad guy. And we know peregrine falcons have a reputation for being dangerous, even though Jake's personal BoP is one.

Though personally I'd have a golden eagle for a BoP morph anyway because they're big and not quite as recognizable as a bald eagle.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 07:57:18 AM »
Still, it would have been realistic to have the Yeerks screwing up a bit with their morphs. I kind of wished for a reference to some of the morphed controllers not returning because they were K.I.A. and they didn't even face the resistance. Which I could see is kinda what the writer was leaning towards in that subway-Rachel-taunting-yeerk-falcon-nothlit scene.

The whole 'Earth is a bad neighbourhood' thing was an Aniverse factor I was quite fond of, since early in the series. It's little things like this that made the series, to me... you know, and it's virtually non-existant here. It gives the impression that it's sacrificed for the sake of pumping up these 'grand' plots.
What about all the times the Anis hung for their lives, almost getting squashed as an insect or were some bigger creature's lunch?!?!? Are the Yeerks so advanced they're are immune?!?!?!? What about the Yeerks getting lost in their hosts' morphs?!?!

It also looses cohesiveness... I mean, there's nothing wrong or impossible about the James guy morphing all them birds in the Aniverse... it's just that the Anis always had a specific set of morph types and really stuck by them, like you said. To have James in red-tailed morph doing that crazy-like rescue, when CLEARLY, Tobias was more suited and perfectly capable of pulling the stunt, seems a bit dubious on the writer's part to me. Suspicious even of a KASU.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 06:29:10 PM by Gafrash »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 08:49:21 AM »
The Yeerks are biologically designed for controlling host bodies. It actually makes perfect sense to me that a Yeerk could control whatever body it morphed. That may have in fact been a big use for having Aftran on the team. she could be the first to morph anything without much danger to herself and others, and talk the others through the instincts. Yeerks only really seem to be designed for one thing, but that one thing should be of great use when using morphing technology.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 03:33:12 AM »
The Yeerks are biologically designed for controlling host bodies. It actually makes perfect sense to me that a Yeerk could control whatever body it morphed...
I half-way agree. When you think about it, they are taking the reigns of a body WITHIN a body, being in charge of the morph, yes, but still having to be imperial of BOTH the human mind and the animal mind. Surely there's some room for Yeerk disordinance.
Having said that, Visser Three has never displayed any problems being in morph, so gotta let it fly.  ;)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »
Maybe it's not air tight and explanation, but it really never bothered me either.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Acalio-Laron-Jaham

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 05:56:53 AM »
3. After Cassie reveals to the group that she gave up the Blue Box Ax accuses her of traitorism. In fact, he goes so far to say:

An entire human race of Rachels - angry, merciless, aggressive, and equipped with Yeerk and Andalite technology. It was a terrifying specter.

But perhaps...perhaps I had been wrong.

Perhaps the real menace lay at the other end of the continuum - represented by Cassie. Humans who were softer. Kinder. Well-meaning.

And, ironically, infinitely more dangerous.

I dunno, it is kinda accurate in a way, but also not accurate, in a way. it really depends on what point of view you look at it from.

obviously if its coming from Ax, then i reckon it is biased because of the andalites and their whole 'thing' against what prince seerow did. i guess he saw cassies 'kindness' qualities as similar to prince seerows.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »
Extremism in any form is a bad thing. whether it's the psychos that use war to be able to do what they enjoy legally, or the ignorant people that think not having a military at all would help them live in peace and something aside from military power would preserve their freedom.

Ani-Master 2014!