Author Topic: Give the Animorphs last names!  (Read 10831 times)

Offline EscafilDevice

Re: Give the Animorphs last names!
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »
Jake and Rachel are not Jewish. Or at least, I never got that vibe but what do I know? I'm a Hispanic Catholic-turned-athiest.

Just because you're Hispanic, it doesn't mean you're fluent in Spanish. Not if your parents speak to you in English much more than Spanish.

Isn't Cassie's father named John? So his name would be John Johnson? Try the name Carver.

Applegate probably gave them the name Berenson after someone she knew with the same last name.

There wasn't a vibe, it was said in MM3. They were in the alternate reality of the Allied invasion of Normandy and Rachel explained The Holocaust to Ax. She explicitly stated that her father was Jewish.

Cassie's father is named Walter.

You're right, there are people who are 100% something or half of something that don't speak the language of their parent(s). However, do you not remember in #11 when they are in Brazil and Marco understands Polo - the leader of the Amazonian tribe they encounter - because he is speaking Portuguese and that language is almost mutually intelligible with Spanish. Marco says that he wasn't fluent but he had picked up some of the language from his mother who spoke Spanish fluently. In one of his books, I don't remember which, Marco is thinking about immigrants taking the oath to get American citizenship and mentions that his mother did, inferring that she was a Latin American immigrant.

Nowhere is it mentioned that Marco's father is Hispanic. He would've been named Pedro instead of Peter.

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 07:19:57 PM »
I haven't read "Elfangor's Secret" in ages so I don't recall that passage. Doesn't change the fact that I still didn't get that vibe regardless of what was.

The reason I said John was because of this Animorphs booklet thing I got froma  club membership years ago. There are alot of contradictions with the parents names. In the booklet, Marco's dad is Jeremy but in the books he's Peter. Gregory and then Stephen for Jake's dad. And of course, John and Walter for Cassie.

Yes. Nowhere in the books does it say that Marco's dad is Hispanic but I just want to say that I know a Hispanic kid named Peter and not Pedro. Quit stereotyping. And what was that long explanation from "The Forgotten" for? Al I said was that if you were Hispanic, it doesn't mean you HAVE to speak Spanish fluently with only one Hispanic parent or both.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 07:28:21 PM by Yorick »
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »
yeah, I think the parents' names changed in the books as well. I think one book had something and then another book had something else...

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 07:30:44 PM »
Yeah, that's why I'm always confused when they're talking about their parents. The only one that seemed to be clear was Naomi.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
no marco's mom was the only one that was clear; Eva

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 07:33:20 PM »
So they got all (or most of) the Mom's names down. It was the Dad's names that weren't entirely clear.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 07:33:38 PM »
Anyway, here are some ideas for middle names-

Jake Thomas(my middle name ;) :P)
Rachel Theresa
Tobias Peter
Cassie Patricia
Marco Paul
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »
I haven't read "Elfangor's Secret" in ages so I don't recall that passage. Doesn't change the fact that I still didn't get that vibe regardless of what was.

The reason I said John was because of this Animorphs booklet thing I got froma  club membership years ago. There are alot of contradictions with the parents names. In the booklet, Marco's dad is Jeremy but in the books he's Peter. Gregory and then Stephen for Jake's dad. And of course, John and Walter for Cassie.

Yes. Nowhere in the books does it say that Marco's dad is Hispanic but I just want to say that I know a Hispanic kid named Peter and not Pedro. Quit stereotyping. And what was that long explanation from "The Forgotten" for? Al I said was that if you were Hispanic, it doesn't mean you HAVE to speak Spanish fluently with only one Hispanic parent or both.

It's in the book. I recently re-read the series, that's why I remember it. It's really not a big deal.\

That's fine. I wasn't aware of any Animorphs book clubs, I'm just giving you the canonical names of their parents. I'm not an uber Animorphs nerd, I just re-read the series every summer when I'm bored and I fact-check when I don't know. (Maybe I am an uber-nerd...we'll see.)

Grow up, I'm not "stereotyping". Different names, especially biblical ones, have translations in various languages. Pedro is the Spanish version of Peter just like Wilhelm is the German version of William. You may hear Pedro used in a lot of racist jokes but it doesn't change that. Why don't you learn what you're talking about before you accuse someone of something like that, it'll save you trouble in the future.

I knew what you were saying and I don't disagree with you. I'm saying that I seriously doubt that Marco's father is Hispanic for various reasons.

(This is a rather trivial issue in the Animorphs fandom, but I do get worked up when others accuse me of being wrong or worse.)

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 07:53:51 PM »
I also doubt that Marco's father is Hispanic. Just saying you don't have to be fluent in Spanish to be Hispanic.

Sorry but I did find your Pedro comment to be really ignorant. I believe you that there are Spanish translations to other names (ex. Miguel-Michael) but Marco's dad would Not have to be named Pedro rather than Peter if he was Hispanic.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 11:42:33 PM »
I don't think it was really ignorant. I mean, you rarely find a French Peter, since most French parents would go with the "Pierre" equivilant.

I don't think Escafil was saying that it was concrete that Peter=/=Hispanic, just that it was unlikely, because it's not a Spanish name. Just like it's unlikely that he'd be French for the same reason.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 11:45:40 PM »
so what's the chinese equivalent or peter?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
    • My tumblr
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008, 12:29:45 AM »
Well... Peter means rock, so I guess, whatever the Chinese word for rock is?

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008, 01:16:18 AM »
you mean rock as in the thing found on the ground or rock as in a rock band?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
    • My tumblr
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 01:51:34 AM »
Thing found on the ground.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 02:10:47 AM »
well ****ou is rock in chinese, so I guess that's it.