Author Topic: your sacrifice  (Read 4136 times)

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
your sacrifice
« on: May 07, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »
how far would you go to obtain the morphing ability?
what would you be willing to sacrifice?

be realistic, treat it as if you were really making the choice. 8)

:bluebox:

Offline ThinkAgain

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • What to say?
Re: your sacrifice
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:43:34 PM »
Anything and everything.

Pretty much. I'd give up anything physical/material instantly, home, car anything. I'd give you all four limbs and my liver to boot; I'd just morph and get them back.  :P If pain was a price though, I'd sit through that, assuming I didn't die. Pretty much the only things I'd have to think about/say no to would be the lives of family/close friends, and my free will (what good is morphing if you're a slave?) and anything that would cause pain or loss to the aforementioned people.

What does it mean to be free?

Offline roguebluejay

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:36:20 PM »
Put it this way. I would be okay with the world being invaded by aliens if I could have it...

Does this make me a bad person? :P

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »
Put it this way. I would be okay with the world being invaded by aliens if I could have it...

Does this make me a bad person? :P

Kind of... But I think most RAFians sympathize... :P

I'm pretty much with Think on this one, though. I'd give up anything material, but I wouldn't die/kill my family/hur my family/let someone else kill/hurt my family, or put my soul on the line. But, anything material, cars, house, all that. Gone in a heart beat.

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Alic

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
Nope, rogue. I'm with you there.
I would give up about everything except my family. Especially jack. I would destroy that blue box if it had any threat to him

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »
Nope, rogue. I'm with you there.
I would give up about everything except my family. Especially jack. I would destroy that blue box if it had any threat to him

whoops, i misread that. :-[
poor jack.

and i agree, material possessions would be a given for me, but definitely not anybody i love.

would anybody become a voluntary controller for such powers?
how about if it was a peaceful yeerk? (eg. illim, aftran)

Offline aareavis

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »
No offense but I think this is a stupid question.  It's not a toy.  It's a weapon.  It's for battle, for espionage, for getting the hell out of a tight spot.  If an alien crash-landed in my town and said this was the only thing that could hold invaders back, then yes, I would do it.  Use it as a toy?  I can't I would never do it but I would be focused on staying alive.  How many times were the Ani's almost killed by a fellow earth creature?  Sharks, racoons, golden eagles, etc, etc...

I also kind of like the body I have.  I'm not pretty or skinny or anything but the thought of scrapping it for something else kinda creeps me out.  I'm also afraid I'd be a little like David.  When someone is poor all their life (like me) and they're given the means to obtain anything they want spells trouble.  It would start out small but then I'd be able to rationalize my way up to bigger things.

So no, I wouldn't sacrifice anything but if I something to focus my use of it (you know, like an interstellar war) then I'd accept it.

Or maybe I'm taking this waaayyy too seriously...

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:42:06 PM »
i was thinking of the joys of being a dolphin, or flying free in the skies as a falcon.
experiencing senses impossible for the human mind to comprehend.

i understand that the power was used as a weapon in the books, but this thread is assuming the war isn't going on.

to each his own, though.

Offline aareavis

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:19:44 AM »
I guess it freaks me out...  It's not something I would seek out.  I'm comfortable being me.  I've never shared Tobias' interest in flying.  The only animal that I think I would want to morph into would be a cat...

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 12:25:40 AM »
I'd absolutely love it. I can't say I'd be completely moral, though. Quite honestly, and embarrassingly, I'd do some bad stuff, I want so much so to better the life of my family

But, still, just the thought of flying... BEing a dolphin... Being a wolf, a cat, oh, man, I'd absolutely love it.

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 12:14:19 PM »
first instinct was to say any and everything, but there's a good point: not much worth it if you can't control it: have to retain freedom I suppose

beyond that, most anything is up for bartering. I'm not going to be quick to give up certain people, but still I can see circumstance where it is possible...
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »
:P

now, see, i'd be afraid i'd end up like tobias- that two-hour limit deal? that would DEFINITELY screw me over at some point. and i'd be tempted to use it to help people, which would ALSO get me into some serious trouble... eventually.

so... let's say i wouldn't sacrifice much. Dx if i could get it for free... heck, yeah. but i'd still be terrified to use it. xD so how useful would it be? lol. oh, well. there's bound to be something positive in calling myself a pansy- but right now, i'm short on ideas.
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Offline g33kgirl

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 05:38:03 AM »
I would happily give up having a place in "normal" society (ie, having to disguise my identity and accept never going to the cinema or whatever again).

But I would never sacrifice my family- if anything I would give up my morphing power to save them.  What's the point in fighting if you haven't got anything to defend?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 11:11:50 AM »
Like others have said, I'd pretty much give up anything material, although there are some material things that I would be VERY hesitant to give up. (i.e. My BJDs and my Alienware) So I think I should instead say anything material except for those. As great as morphing would be, I worked hard to save up the money for these things, and it would take a lot more than morphing to see me give them up.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline powertrash

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 05:57:41 PM »
Huh. I'm one of those people who needs friends. I tend to be a bit of a loner, but I need people to hang out with or I get really depressed. So I'm wondering if I could give up my social circle--not condemn them to death, but just never speak to them again--for the morphing power.

I don't know. I would love being a eagle and a dolphin and a dog. I just wonder how good it would be if I didn't have anyone to share it with. I'd sometimes want to share the joys of flying with two ospreys, a peregrine falcon and a red-tailed hawk, you know?

I'd give up quite a lot, though.
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
[G.K. Chesterton]