Author Topic: Fan-made Alternate ending + questions it raises  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
Re: Fan-made Alternate ending + questions it raises
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »
Uh oh. The natives are getting angry. Go, Johnny go! Go Johnny, go go go!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6TAMApdDxQ[/youtube]

(How awesome of a coincidence is it that the topic creator's name really is Johnny? That's the last BTTF joke, I swear. ;D)

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 10:43:28 PM »
Don't lie, Essam. :P

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 11:11:11 PM »
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that, yet.  But your kids are gonna love it."  ;D

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Alic

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 01:56:26 AM »
The ending was hard for me.. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Your idea is interesting.. But to find out after all those faithful years that it was just something that "could" happen? I wouldn't have been too happy

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 12:09:33 PM »
And then Cassie spends and entire book wondering why 2 of her best friends are gone, why another best friend is totally depressed and angry all the time (Rachel with no outlet for her rage) and often has dreams of flying.  She gets in contact with the Elimmist and undoes his undoing.

Offline rebelxluck

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »
ngl, personally I would have hated an ending like that. That falls under the "it was all a dream" type of scenario, which may have once been cool and original, but these days it's often a cop-out. Basically it renders the entire story pointless. All the pain and suffering our main characters went through? Oh, well, let's say it never happened! If you're going to have an ending that rests on Seerow making a choice, you can't keep it a big secret to pull out of nowhere. That totally undermines the story and characters we got attached to over the course of over 50 books.

The way I see it, you would need to introduce Seerow and this situation earlier, perhaps even start with it. And then, throughout the "what if," you would need to return to the reality to sort of touch base with the core conflict. You would need to show reasons why Seerow might even still choose to give the Yeerks technology. Then at the end when he makes the decision, that decision effectively carries the weight of the story.

Basically, the whole series would need drastic changes, and I still probably wouldn't have liked it as much as what KAA/Grant gave us.

Just my opinion, of course. I am in the minority that liked the ending--it had its problems, but for the most part I liked it.

Offline Maze

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 12:48:47 AM »
ngl, personally I would have hated an ending like that. That falls under the "it was all a dream" type of scenario, which may have once been cool and original, but these days it's often a cop-out. Basically it renders the entire story pointless. All the pain and suffering our main characters went through? Oh, well, let's say it never happened! If you're going to have an ending that rests on Seerow making a choice, you can't keep it a big secret to pull out of nowhere. That totally undermines the story and characters we got attached to over the course of over 50 books.

The way I see it, you would need to introduce Seerow and this situation earlier, perhaps even start with it. And then, throughout the "what if," you would need to return to the reality to sort of touch base with the core conflict. You would need to show reasons why Seerow might even still choose to give the Yeerks technology. Then at the end when he makes the decision, that decision effectively carries the weight of the story.

Basically, the whole series would need drastic changes, and I still probably wouldn't have liked it as much as what KAA/Grant gave us.

Just my opinion, of course. I am in the minority that liked the ending--it had its problems, but for the most part I liked it.

I am pretty sure that a lot of people like the ending the way that it is. So I wouldn't consider liking the current ending better than any other as being a minority.

Johnny Xtreme

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 06:02:18 PM »
Greetings everybody, Johnny has returned. I want to apologize for my absence in this forum I was recently admitted to the hospital for a blood transfusion. There is no need to show alarm or ask if I am ok this is a standard for a previous condition. Now that is out of the way I have read previous posts and I wish to reply to them.

I read that some of you believe that my intro to this ending disrespects the author Applegate. That was NOT my intention at all I have utmost respect for Applegate and I love this series. I admit that a second reading of my intro shows the error I made and I want to formally apologize to ALL who were offended. At the time of writing it I was extremely excited and did not over-analize it and proof-read it like I should have. So again I wish to apologize I ment NO dis-respect to anybody.

I am pleased with some of your theories that you guys have made and I ask that you continue to do so.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 06:24:29 PM »
I don't think I like that idea. Russian, I don't think Rachel would have rage issues. she likes excitement, and would hopefully find something exciting to do. Maze, I'm quite certain liking the ending puts people in an overall minority, though maybe not on this particular board.

Terenia said life isn't like those books that try to tie everything up in a pretty bow. I do realise some things are a mystery, but that doesn't mean you can't give mention to things and answer possible questions. Some things we may just never know, like whether or not Rachel killed David and what happened to Alloran when he returned. But other things could definitely have been elaborated on.

Ani-Master 2014!

Johnny Xtreme

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 05:00:40 PM »
Hello everybody.

I have came upon another theory I want you to consider. The Ellimist showed Seerow a POSSIBLE future if Yeerks were given spaceflight technology. What if Seerow GAVE the Yeerks the technology, BUT, kept an eye on them? What if he "policed" their actions, allowing them to travel the stars, BUT, if the Yeerks tried to invade another system they would be wiped out? What if Seerow negotiated with the Yeerks told them they could travel the stars, BUT, never launch an invasion against ANY species?

Remember, The choice Serrow made is NOT revealed. EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE.

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
Hello everybody.

I have came upon another theory I want you to consider. The Ellimist showed Seerow a POSSIBLE future if Yeerks were given spaceflight technology. What if Seerow GAVE the Yeerks the technology, BUT, kept an eye on them? What if he "policed" their actions, allowing them to travel the stars, BUT, if the Yeerks tried to invade another system they would be wiped out? What if Seerow negotiated with the Yeerks told them they could travel the stars, BUT, never launch an invasion against ANY species?

Remember, The choice Serrow made is NOT revealed. EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE.

Seerow's choice was to share technology with another primitive species. So yes, it is revealed. And it backfired. Badly. Which is why they named an entire universal Andalite law after him.

Besides, even if he did make a pact with the Yeerks early on, he'd be in no place to do anything about. Read the start of Hork-Bajir Chronicles. He was shipped off once everything went to hell with the Yeerks. The Andalites put him there so that he'd be out of the way when it came time to do what was necessary.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:28:11 PM by Essam 293 »

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
I dunno, I'm still not really for the idea of the whole series "maybe" being a possible choice or a dream or whatever...besides, how could the Andalites police an entire race that exponentially reproduces, and not have the same kind of uprising that happened on the Yeerk homeworld somewhere along the line?  It didn't sound like the Andalites had that many forces, from the way the series described them being spread thin. 

And would the Andalites allow all of the Yeerks off their homeworld, or just a few?  How would those few be chosen?  How would they deal with anyone who was left behind, most of whom might be aware of being left out and feeling a bit bitter about it, and uprising on the homeworld?

I just think it has too many variables.  No offense or anything, I just liked the way it ended as is, and I think having a nebulous ending with lots of possible futures is too haphazard.  Also it's sort of been done in the series already, with Jake's unanswered choice about saving Cassie or saving the planet in #41, and it's explicitly dealt with in Megamorphs: Back to Before, when Jake is given a choice to go back and never become an Animorph.  We saw how well THAT turned out, it was an interesting experiment but I think it would've been overkill to end the whole series with another "you must choose" scenario.

Offline comet266

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 06:50:18 PM »
I dunno, I'm still not really for the idea of the whole series "maybe" being a possible choice or a dream or whatever...besides, how could the Andalites police an entire race that exponentially reproduces, and not have the same kind of uprising that happened on the Yeerk homeworld somewhere along the line?  It didn't sound like the Andalites had that many forces, from the way the series described them being spread thin. 

And would the Andalites allow all of the Yeerks off their homeworld, or just a few?  How would those few be chosen?  How would they deal with anyone who was left behind, most of whom might be aware of being left out and feeling a bit bitter about it, and uprising on the homeworld?

I just think it has too many variables.  No offense or anything, I just liked the way it ended as is, and I think having a nebulous ending with lots of possible futures is too haphazard.  Also it's sort of been done in the series already, with Jake's unanswered choice about saving Cassie or saving the planet in #41, and it's explicitly dealt with in Megamorphs: Back to Before, when Jake is given a choice to go back and never become an Animorph.  We saw how well THAT turned out, it was an interesting experiment but I think it would've been overkill to end the whole series with another "you must choose" scenario.

That's what we have alternamorphs for :)

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »

Yeah, what she said!

Sorry Johnny...

I have to admit, though, that idea I mentioned about everything looping all over again was sort of taken from another long, involved, violent and weird series I've read...but I can't reveal which one, it'd be a huge spoiler for the ending of that series!

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »

Yeah, what she said!

Sorry Johnny...

I have to admit, though, that idea I mentioned about everything looping all over again was sort of taken from another long, involved, violent and weird series I've read...but I can't reveal which one, it'd be a huge spoiler for the ending of that series!

Was it Garfield? wait don't tell me, I don't want to spoil the ending, last sundays strip really brought things to a new level for that rascally feline