Author Topic: Animorphs what ifs  (Read 9887 times)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
Re: Animorphs what ifs
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 10:02:06 AM »
     Then California goes boom.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline FATELUVR95

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 11:23:45 AM »
What if Marco's mom was actually dead, not a Controller?

Marco would've quit the Animorphs

What if the Taxxons and Hork-Bijar never became controllers?

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »
     Assuming that there had been only a single Garatron host, and the the so called conquered Mak and Sstram hosts were not as powerful, physically, as the Hork-Bajir, then the Yeerks wouldn't have been as threatening as they were. They may not have even found Earth.

What if David was given a decent return?
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

NateSean

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 09:30:08 PM »
Define decent. I think David had as good a return as he deserved. Plus it showed us Crayak's character perfectly. He used all lifeforms to his advantage and the only one he was interested in at that point was Rachel.

Why did Ax have to activate the morphing cube to give David the morphing power, but a Buffalo and an Ant were able to get the morphing ability by just accidentally touching the thing?

For that matter, why didn't more animals suddenly have the morphing power? Was Cassie's farm the only farm on Earth without any kind of bugs crawling over things?

(IE: Don't just cite Crappy Ghostwriters. It's a given. Really use your noodle on this one.)

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 10:37:57 PM »
It wasn't ever stated that Ax had to activate the cube, just that he was holding it. Maybe they just wanted it to be in someone's hands so David was less likely to grab it and run away in a panic.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2010, 10:05:16 AM »
     Maybe the Animorphs assumed that only Ax could do it.

Maybe they just thought Ax was the only one with the right to touch it.

Or maybe K.A wasnt thinking and wrote that so Ax had something to do.

Check book 50. Is Ax holding the cube when they're recruiting the Auxiliaries?
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »
Nope. He isn't there for the first round. It's Cassie, Marco and Jake.

NateSean

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »
So, technically David all ready had the morphing power from the moment he touched the cube then.

I guess I always assumed that an Andalite had to be holding the cube for the power to be distributed, hence why Ax is holding it and asking David to touch the cube. After they took it apart in the end of the David Trilogy it made sense to me that whatever security programming was in place got reset and the cube was more user friendly at that point.

I just wanted to see what everyone else thought of that particular situation.

Offline Green armadillo ette

• If at first you don't  succeed, redefine success.
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2011, 12:46:21 AM »
I don't remember where I heard this, but it was on this site. Someone had a theory that when the Animorphs disasembled the box, the software the required an andalite to hold it was deactivated. So that was how the 'Morphs gave others the power and how Buffa-human came to be.
Remember, I did not come up with this. Someone else on this site did.
Last night, I laid back in my bed staring up at the stars, and I thought to myself ... I probably should fix that hole in my roof.

Offline cams

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:51 AM »
They really dissembled the cube at the end of the David books?
I thought that they tricked David by lying about that.
Maybe I just misread a sentence.

Offline invisiblecake

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2011, 02:14:31 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was some Lego that they tricked him with and the box was never even there. But it'd be cool if it could break down.

Offline roguebluejay

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2011, 06:05:06 AM »
I don't remember where I heard this, but it was on this site. Someone had a theory that when the Animorphs disasembled the box, the software the required an andalite to hold it was deactivated. So that was how the 'Morphs gave others the power and how Buffa-human came to be.
Remember, I did not come up with this. Someone else on this site did.

I do love the idea that they broke the box... Here is my explanation.

- The animorphs are making the plan at the end of the David trillogy. Ax explains that the box can be broken down.
- The animorphs ask him to do so (not sure what the plan will be)
- Ax does so, and they realise that one of the parts looks a lot like a lego brick.
- This is how they get the idea.
- Ax puts the box back together (unknowingly resetting the security protocols - he is only a cadet!)
- They go off with a lego brick and leave the box in the freezer (or whereever they were hiding it)

Think this has any merit?

Offline xmynameistobias

• "Be happy for me, and for all who fly free."
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2011, 07:11:42 AM »
Wow I really loved reading this thread! As an avid comic fan all my life, I've always loved a good what-if take on the stories or characters within them.

I have one myself that I might just throw out here. Partially based on the facts that everyone in my family looked down on me for 'reading kids books' as I was a mid to late teen. Spend enough time reading characters in a series, you get emotionally invested. You're not just going to stop because you're a year older... That and, for 'kids books,' some really intense stuff happened through out this series! Some things were just brutal, and hard for me to read and imagine happening at such a young age. I was always raised to believe that the kids were the safe ones in scary situations...  As an adult looking back, now I understand why Marco was always so reluctant to participate, and why he nagged so much about this "not really being a job for kids."

So, after reading all that Lol, here is my What if....

What if, the Animorphs had been young adults, instead of kids/teens? How would a few more years of life experience had changed some of the decisions they made, and affected situations as a result of them?
"Be happy for me, and for all who fly free."

NateSean

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2011, 08:40:58 AM »
I have one myself that I might just throw out here. Partially based on the facts that everyone in my family looked down on me for 'reading kids books' as I was a mid to late teen.

What if, the Animorphs had been young adults, instead of kids/teens? How would a few more years of life experience had changed some of the decisions they made, and affected situations as a result of them?

First off, man do I sympathize. I got so tired of people calling the Animorphs "childish" or "kiddy". Like, I'd love to see a children's book where are regularly dismembered for angering a guy who decorates his room with an iron maiden.

Secondly, it would appear from your screen name and your classical "morphing" avatar, and the sigpic where Tobias is in the center position that your favorite character is...hmmm...it's coming to me....it's Erek's dad right? Man, what a guy. We only saw him a couple times but I totally agree, Erek's Dad was one of the coolest characters ever. Glad to meet a fan. :p

Anyhow, I've got a thread going involving various "alternate" possibilities for what could have happened to the Animorphs if you ever want to add to that.

For my money, I think if they Animorphs were young adults there would still be the same issues. Classes and possibly a part time job would be in danger as they fought controllers. Basically like the Power Rangers if the Power Rangers had been better written.

Offline xmynameistobias

• "Be happy for me, and for all who fly free."
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »
Oh, exactly!!! The books were so violent, I have no shame in admitting that I bawled my eyes out during a few key moments. Marco finding out his thought to be dead mother was alive, and was the enemy.. That one will always just give me cold chills. I don't think I'd be able to cope with that now, let alone being a teenager at the time! KA Applegate is such a great, creative author. Pulling that one out of her sleeve made a dent in me forever, haha.

But yeah, when people say "they were for kids." It's like ... Have they READ the books? They're put in such painful situations... It'd actually hard to imagine them being able to do half they did as kids, I probably wouldn't be able to do less than half of that now! It's insane. But that's war for ya, no one leaves without wounds of some kind.

LOL Thanks for the comments about my pics!! The one of the hawk is actually a picture I took myself, on the day that I re-met up with my old animorphs buddy after 11 years of not seeing him. I know, that sounds like something out of a movie right! I couldn't believe it either, we were both so thrilled, felt like Tobias was linking us back together in some way.

Sure, I'd love to read your thread! I actually really loved the Megamorphs for dealing with the what-if alternate sort of scenarios. Haha, yeah! The young adult idea came from my friend and I diving head first back into the series. We were like, okay, we're in our twenties now. What would we do if we got this power, this chance, but right now. Like you said, likely the same choices would be made, it'd be really interesting to see!

Something I tried to do once back when, was like ... how do I explain. You know how each book deals with a situation but it's mainly through the narrating characters perspective? I wanted to do sort of like, re-telling of the situations, but through other characters narrative. I started writing The Invasion from Tobias' point of view, but school and real life got in my way of doing much more than a chapter. Still, I'd love to stir that up again sometime!
"Be happy for me, and for all who fly free."