Author Topic: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts  (Read 234714 times)

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
Re: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts
« Reply #2505 on: June 18, 2016, 11:18:40 AM »
Such as...?
The Visitor episode, The Invasion episode, Back to Before's episode, The Alien episode, and The Underground's episode were decent.
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #2506 on: June 18, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »
I saw a few of those. They were okay.
yeah

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2507 on: June 18, 2016, 11:44:26 AM »
I actually thought parts of The Capture were okay. I like the voice over they got for the Yeerk who infested Jake (Temrash?). I do feel like they could've done more with it, but hey...I'll take what I can get.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #2508 on: June 18, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
It really is a shame that, more than a decade later, a proper Animorphs show would still be way too expensive for any network that isn't HBO. That being said, the show we did get (and probably the only show we'll get) wasn't....horrible. As far as 90s sci-fi kids shows go, it was pretty good. It was just a horrible adaption.
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #2509 on: June 18, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
Yeah, if viewed as something totally different from the books, it's actually pretty okay.
yeah

Offline NickDaGriff

• RAF's resident geeky gryphon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #2510 on: June 19, 2016, 12:15:26 AM »
I would actually really like to see an HBO Animorphs show.  That'd be perfect.  Yanno they actually own Sesame Street now?  Probably why they had a GoT parody skit at one point, come to think of it.  Can't wait to see how bloody these next few seasons get.
[spoiler=A writer at heart:]
My sequel fic, Animorphs #55: The Following
My first Memoirs fic, A Geeky Gryphon's Origins

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2511 on: June 19, 2016, 03:24:57 AM »
Problem with something like that on HBO is, it'll be R-rated.  Animorphs occupies this weird position where like, yeah, the violence and themes are pretty R-rated,  but on another level it sort of has to be primarily for tween/teen-age kids.

Condundrum!

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #2512 on: June 19, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »
Considering the original fan base is all grown up now, why not. :P And I'm pretty sure kids these days are a lot more sensitized to that sort of thing, it's just the parents that wank a lot.

Offline NickDaGriff

• My deviantArt
« Reply #2513 on: June 19, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »
The central theme to Animorphs was always "war is hell", straight from the beginning, and that's why the violence was so brutal.  You can't really convey that message anywhere near as effectively if you nerf the heavily R-rated violence at all.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2514 on: June 19, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
I dunno, I still think a real-life adaptation wasn't a good way to go. Even today, I'd rather see an animated version. With the right animator you could get a lot of the dark undertones of the series in (and do a LOT more with it) while reaching both the younger audience it was originally intended for and the adults.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #2515 on: June 19, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »
^
|

this
yeah

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #2516 on: June 19, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
Agreed. I'd much rather see them try their luck at an animated adaption. I've been dreaming of animated version of Animorphs with an art style akin to these shows for years. Of course, you'd still have the whole "what network would take it" problem. With the level of violence and mature themes that the series has, there's no way in hell any kids network will take it. And other networks usually aren't willing to take on any animated shows that aren't comedies, like South Park or Family Guy. Your best bet would be Adult Swim/Toonami or Netflix.
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2517 on: June 19, 2016, 10:28:44 PM »
Right, animated cuts out a lot of the budget issues (GoT is I guess probably the highest-production-values show on TV, HBO does this stuff really well, but even GoT's probably too small to do much in the way of the off-world stuff, or space battles etc).

Something like HBO's own Spawn animated series from 1997, though?  That could absolutely rule.  Animated, serialized so you don't have to start chopping & cutting the books to streamline it, you can go multiple seasons.  Animated so you can have just about anything drawn/conveyed without costing a bazillion dollars.  Pretty much in the style of the 90s Batman animated series, only it was R-rated.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline NickDaGriff

• My deviantArt
« Reply #2518 on: June 20, 2016, 01:04:18 PM »
Space battles are actually a bit cheaper and easier than you might expect.  Usually, they boil down to ships just moving around against a background and they still look amazing if you do it right.  Battlestar Galactica had massive space battles almost every episode without exploding their budget (they blew it on music instead).  It's the same reason video game devs can afford to put so much more detail into the graphics in space games.  Spaceships don't typically have a lot of (externally visible) complex moving parts that need to be delicately choreographed, and space typically doesn't have a million environmental objects around you that you need to render.

An alien planet, on the other hand, would take quite a bit because then you're having to go through the effort of blending the CGI to look good with the live action, and it can easily become a jarring mess.

I would totally go for something like Ben 10: Alien Force with a ton of blood and gore.  Heck, Ben 10 is probably the closest thing we'll ever actually get to a good Animorphs adaptation.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #2519 on: June 20, 2016, 02:59:08 PM »
Maybe I should start watching Ben 10. Never too late...
yeah