Author Topic: Sentences you'll never forget  (Read 30558 times)

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
Re: Sentences you'll never forget
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2010, 01:06:34 AM »
But you can be more or less wrong, more or less right

That's true, actually that's half the point, there are good guys and bad guys, but the good guys are only mostly good, and the bad guys are only mostly bad, it's those annoying shades of gray

but the cause they are fighting for can be

Yes, it can, but that's where the problem is.  Even if your cause is right, when you're willing to do anything for it, justifying it by saying the endstate is worth any cost, basically "we have to win" it allows you to commit atrocities.

Take communism for instance, the final idea is that everyone in the world would be taken care of.  That noone would suffer because of a lack of anything.  Everyone would have enough food, money, whatever in order to live well enough.  A very worthy cause (although I don't think it could work).  However in the course of trying to bring this about, Stalin had around 10 million people killed between purges and engineered famine (the actual number Stalin had killed is in dispute, this is actually a lower end figure though)

if at the moment, it's kill or be killed, you have to have other things on mind to survive.

Yeah, the soldiers on the other side might believe in what they're fighting for, they might have been forced to fight, they might have been lied to to get them to fight, but the (sad) fact is that they are still going to kill you if you don't kill them first so you have to kill them.

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2010, 02:45:41 PM »
But you can be more or less wrong, more or less right

That's true, actually that's half the point, there are good guys and bad guys, but the good guys are only mostly good, and the bad guys are only mostly bad, it's those annoying shades of gray

but the cause they are fighting for can be

Yes, it can, but that's where the problem is.  Even if your cause is right, when you're willing to do anything for it, justifying it by saying the endstate is worth any cost, basically "we have to win" it allows you to commit atrocities.
I agree with you that having a 'right' cause or a 'greater good' that it is worth committing 'lesser evils' for is problematic, in that it will allow one to justify the committing of atrocities;but this seems to be an arguement against what you and earlier posts seem to be saying, that the world has to be viewed in 'shades of gray.' This explanation seems to suggest that one must view things as black and white and only be willing to do the 'white' thing (ha ha).

Take communism for instance, the final idea is that everyone in the world would be taken care of.  That noone would suffer because of a lack of anything.  Everyone would have enough food, money, whatever in order to live well enough.  A very worthy cause (although I don't think it could work).  However in the course of trying to bring this about, Stalin had around 10 million people killed between purges and engineered famine (the actual number Stalin had killed is in dispute, this is actually a lower end figure though)
I don't think that this is a viable example of committing 'lesser evils' and escalating to atrocities in order to accomplish a just cause. The problem here isn't with the ideology with Communism itself, if Communism were ever truly implemented according to its ideals it would never necessitate committing 'lesser evils' on the way to its goals; the problem isn't that ideology necessitates committing atrocities on the way to a worthy cause, it is just that no human is capable (or often willing) to actually pursue a purely altruistic goal and instead will pursue goals that involve their own personal interests; I would say that the fact that Stalin brought about such unspeakable acts is evidence that he wasn't actually pursuing a just cause, not that he was choosing to do what it takes to reach a just cause.
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline A ghost you know

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »
This is from a fanfic, Angels Rush In, but I still think it's worth posting here.
Earth lost many battles against the Yeerk army before it won the war, but Marco observed privately that the Animorphs themselves lost the fight personally the day that Rachel died.
RAFdating Horsefan1023 (Seal)! :D

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2010, 11:53:37 PM »
"That was the end of smart. And the beginning of right." -Marco rescuing his father, #45

"See, you've just said the whole world can drop dead, so long as you, Cassie, don't end up turning into me." -Rachel, #19

Any of Marco's "point A to point B" narrations are always great, and horribly sad, food for thought. And Rachel's final scene, of course. Absolutely beautiful. Also, Dak Hamee's amazing speeches.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2010, 11:56:14 PM »
"Long story, weird story" -Jake explaining Tobias being Elfangor's son, book 31
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2010, 04:41:50 AM »
ugh, my off topic sense is tingling, but I'll risk it.

an arguement against what you and earlier posts seem to be saying, that the world has to be viewed in 'shades of gray.' This explanation seems to suggest that one must view things as black and white and only be willing to do the 'white' thing (ha ha).

ehh, not really, partly because half my point is that it's freakin confusing. But also because even though there can be an ideal which is white, the means to achieve it would have to go into the gray, which is somewhat paradoxical because then the white ideal would have to be gray just because of how it's acheived  :explode:  So you can't really get into the pure white goodness, at best you can only approach it.

The problem here isn't with the ideology with Communism itself, if Communism were ever truly implemented according to its ideals it would never necessitate committing 'lesser evils' on the way to its goals;

I think it actaully does, someone briefly explained it to me, so there's a good chance I'm wrong, but I think in the communist literature, it admits there would have to be a period of something like a dictartorship before the utopian world could emerge.

Other than that though, in order for it to work, resources would have to be distributed fairly equally among people, if the people who controlled the vast majority of these resources didn't feel inclined to share, they'd have to be "convinced" to do so in order for communism to be acheived.

If you prefer though, you could take a revolution to gain freedom as an alternative, or just about anything really, there's no shortage of examples

and just to balance the off topicness of it

"you know, before I started hanging with you people, I didn't even know there was such a thing as sunrise.  No, I mean it.  I knew the sun set.  And when I woke up each morning it was back in the sky, but the actual rising part..."
I can so relate to that one

Offline Viss3r

« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2010, 06:19:34 AM »
Don’t know if these have been used, but i love them to much to not say them.
Anyone who doesn’t remember the “Tobias reassert your individual consciousness” Marco “say what? Reassert what?” funniest thing I have ever read I think.

And my most memorable of the whole series, the saddest and the most bad-ass.

For a wondrous, frozen moment we all waited,
stared, breathed, tensed, expectant.
I felt. . .
I felt exalted.
It was my moment. This was my place and my
time and my own perfection.
I was no longer afraid. Weird. If I'd had a
mouth I'd have smiled.
<Well?> I said.
No one moved.
<Scared?> I asked.
No answer.
<You should be,> I said, almost laughing.

I remember reading that the first time, and all the sadness I felt for Rachel was gone for just a second as I went into her final battle with her. Just for a moment though.

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:16 AM »
"When do we get to switch to nice, peaceful Riven?" -Marco, #23

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »
ugh, my off topic sense is tingling, but I'll risk it.
lol. Well as far as I'm concerned you never know what is going to spawn the most worthwhile conversations, which is why most people aren't huge on smacking down off topic side-conversations; so I don't worry about going off topic as long as the discussion stays productive. Besides, if it becomes too distracting to the main topic or large enough to justify its own thread it can be moved if necessary.

...This explanation seems to suggest that one must view things as black and white and only be willing to do the 'white' thing (ha ha).
ehh, not really, partly because half my point is that it's freakin confusing. But also because even though there can be an ideal which is white, the means to achieve it would have to go into the gray, which is somewhat paradoxical because then the white ideal would have to be gray just because of how it's acheived  :explode:  So you can't really get into the pure white goodness, at best you can only approach it.
See, again I understand what you are saying, but your argument seems to be opposed to the sentiment. The sentiment of yours and others in the "black and white" vs. "shades of gray" is to go with shades of gray (Which I am not saying I disagree with), that is to say "When an you are pursuing ideal is so worthwhile enough, you have to be willing to do some things that are not so good; side with a lesser evil rather than risking to allow the greater evil to prevail." But while saying this, you conceded that it is problematic to stick with this viewpoint because it can allow one end up justifying becoming as bad as what they oppose by committing great atrocities; my point is that this is a strong argument for why one might want to avoid looking at things in terms of 'shades of gray.'

The same is true for this argument, that looking at a realistic situation can be very confusing because there can be so many 'good' and 'bad' options, but pursuing a 'white' ideal via 'gray' methods only becomes paradoxical in the way you describe (I think I would have used the term 'self defeating' instead of 'paradoxical', because as you said the ideal that was supposed to be 'white' becomes tainted with 'gray') if you view the situation in terms of 'shades of gray.' If you view the situation in terms of 'black and white' then it is simple: Some things are 'black' and some things are 'white' and in pursuit of your goal you must only be willing to do the 'white' thing, even at the risk of failing to accomplish it, because doing something 'black' in pursuit of something 'white' taints the 'white' making it 'black' and therefore not worth the cost of pursing.

Again, I'm not saying I stick to strictly 'black and white' myself (although I suppose I'm not explicitly saying I don't), but I'm saying that your point of 'viewing a realistic situation in terms of its shades of gray can be confusing because it becomes endlessly complicated' is an argument for only viewing things in terms of 'black and white' because it is not worth the risk of allowing yourself to become worse than what you are trying to avoid; while there really hasn't been much justification for the 'shades of gray' view being worth the risk.

The problem here isn't with the ideology with Communism itself, if Communism were ever truly implemented according to its ideals it would never necessitate committing 'lesser evils' on the way to its goals;
I think it actaully does, someone briefly explained it to me, so there's a good chance I'm wrong, but I think in the communist literature, it admits there would have to be a period of something like a dictartorship before the utopian world could emerge.
You've got the right idea here; the 'dictatorship' that you are referring to is the Dictatorship of the Proletariat; what is intended in Marxist theory to be the transitional phase between capitalism and a true communist society. The problem here is that you assume that a dictatorship is necessarily 'evil' that would have to occur before the 'good', but again I will say that the problem isn't with the idea itself, but in the flaws in human nature that ruin its execution.

A single person ruling over others is not necessarily an 'evil' thing in its ideal, the ruler/ruled relationship is the first type of human relationships according to Confucianism and is second in importance to father/child relationship only because the ruler/ruled relationship is supposed to be modeled after the father/son relationship: The ruled recognizes that the ruler has the right to rule because without the ruler providing order to life his life, the ruler would be worse off; and the ruler recognizes that along with the right to rule they have a responsibility and obligation to the ruled. In this relationship the ruler lives as a moral example to the ruled and makes decisions altruistically to benefit the ruled and the ruled recognize the good example of the ruler and follow it and the decisions of the ruler absolutely; the ruler never needs to use their position to force following because their example alone is enough for ruled to recognize and follow.

In the case of Communism's Dictatorship of the Proletariat, the term 'dictator' refers to a Republic (group of rulers) that is elected democratically by the proletariat who have withdrawn their support of the capitalist class (bourgeoisie). Ideally, the bourgeoisie recognize that the proletariat are forming an ideal society and that previous ruling of one class over another was wrong so they relinquish the control to the proletariat (there is none of the 'not feeling inclined to share' or 'need to be convinced'). 'Dictator' in this case is used in the Roman 'dictatura' manner, where the dictator(s) is/are given absolute power in pursuit of a goal, but they use that power without abuse and must justify their actions after their rule: Again, there should be no 'evil' involved, the people recognize a small group of individuals can organize the society to benefit all and give them authority to do so, the group does so altruistically and benefits all, then the group relinquishes power because everyone following the proper roles and behaviors in society do not need any form of government.

Communism as an ideal does not require any 'lesser evils' in pursuit of a 'greater good', it is only that humans are incapable or unwilling to pursue these goals altruistically (which is why a dictatura hasn't practically been implemented in almost 2000 years and has given way to what we know as dictatorship today); my reason for not subscribing to Communism isn't because it is ideally wrong, but because I don't believe it can ever be practically implemented by humans.

Don’t know if these have been used, but i love them to much to not say them.
Anyone who doesn’t remember the “Tobias reassert your individual consciousness” Marco “say what? Reassert what?” funniest thing I have ever read I think.
I don't know, Ax is definitely the most unintentionally hilarious character, but I thought these sort of "Ax says something intelligent and the Anis just don't get it" jokes were overdone, a lot of the time what he says isn't so complicated that they should have a problem understanding the idea that he is talking about, even when it isn't a part of their vernacular. I love your Rachel quote though, very bad-ass.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2010, 03:24:44 AM »

ohh... this is making my head hurt.  It's ok though, I don't think I've had a discussion that's made me think this much since my friend and I tried to solve the dichotomy paradox.

ok,  I don't think I'm quite understanding what you're saying, so to try fix the confusion I'm going to state as precisely as I can, my view on it with as little supporting evidence as possible for simplicity, rather than addressing what you're saying, and then try to see exactly where the problem is coming from.
1) There are ideals which appear to be black and white
2) In practice these ideals can only be achieved through methods that are gray
3) Because that these ideals can't be achieved without the gray methods, they're are not truly black and white
4) As long as the issues are viewed as black and white, it either allows the justification of anything to achieve them (since anything that brings about the accomplishment of these white ideals would have to be white by virtue of bringing about the ideal), or causes a "paralysis" since nothing could be achieved without going gray, or the gray has to be ignored, which is really just another form of the anything is justified option
5) That only by admitting that the issues are gray can someone protect themselves from either the "justification" or "paralysis" options
6)  By admitting it's gray a person has to constantly reevaluate whether the methods, means, and consequences of both pursuing the ideal or not pursuing the ideal (the lesser of two evils choice) are worth the accomplishment of the ideal- it's important to realize that a person could still choose to justify anything for the ideal
7)  Therefore (paradoxically) the "whitest" a person can be in pursuit of these is by embracing that it's not white and that gray things must be done
8)  The ideals can never truly be achieved because they are white and by the mere accomplishment of them they turn gray, they can however be approached (sort of like trying to achieve perfection, while at the same time admitting that perfection is unachievable. The only way to continue to improve is to work towards perfection even though you know you can never reach it)

As far as the communism thing though, yeah on paper it looks good (like as said, someone briefly explained the dictatorship thing to me, I had assumed he meant that it implied coercion to get people to follow the ideal), but to actually achieve it, it has to go into that gray,  I'm getting the feeling we're saying the same things differently, just differently enough to not realize it.  I've had a lot of long arguments like that, where someone else and I were basically trying to convince each other of the exact same thing and neither of us realized it.

“Tobias reassert your individual consciousness” Marco “say what? Reassert what?” funniest thing I have ever read I think.

I had forgotten about that, I think I laughed for 5 minutes straight when I read that.  I think only the "she killed kenny" line made me laugh more

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2010, 04:18:32 PM »
I loved the Riven reference in #23 x3

And I love pretty much all of #19.

"This human host has no secrets from me," said Karen.  "I know what she thinks."

"And feels," I (Cassie) said.

"And feels!" Karen shot back.  "She hates me, okay?  She sits there in the back of my head and imagines me dying a slow, torturous, screaming death!  That's what she feels, hate! Hate! Hate!" 

And all the birds fall silent...

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline AnyaSciarra

• "Computers don't care if they're yelled at."
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2010, 07:13:44 PM »
I just finished #26, and Ax's line about enlightened self-interest hit home. I've been reading Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand, so that means something.
"The saddest day of my life was that day when I learned that Sherlock Holmes was not real. Boy was I wrong."--- Norah Yasgur

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
...I'm getting the feeling we're saying the same things differently, just differently enough to not realize it.  I've had a lot of long arguments like that, where someone else and I were basically trying to convince each other of the exact same thing and neither of us realized it.
I know what you mean about debating something and then realizing that you both agree in your position but had expressed it differently, I've been there.

One case where I can see that we differed in expressing our views: In #4 you say that "As long as the issues are viewed as black and white, it either allows the justification of anything to achieve them (since anything that brings about the accomplishment of these white ideals would have to be white by virtue of bringing about the ideal)..." I was including this as a type of 'shades of gray' view, because it involves weighing something that would in itself be 'black' as a 'black' thing that is 'not black enough' to outweigh a 'white' thing and therefore worth doing in pursuit of the white thing. When I spoke of a 'black and white' viewpoint, I spoke only of it in the second sense that you discussed, not being willing to do anything that involves any action that is 'black'.

Here, I'm wasn't so much trying to support one view or another, but was pointing out that many people are expressing the "You have to view things in shades of gray, not in black and white" idea, but the only thing that they are saying on the subject is "Of course, it can be very dangerous to do so, you can end up committing atrocities by justifying them in pursuit of your goal" (again, you called this a 2nd type of black and white view, where something is considered 'white' in pursuit of a 'white' goal, or the ends justify the means', while I referred to this as part of 'shades of gray' because because it allows doing something normally bad in pursuit of something 'more good'; same thing but from your perspective the person justifying would be referring to something normally'black' as 'white' because of its role in achieving a 'white' goal).

Anyways, the way many people will express being for viewing things in 'shades of gray' rather than 'black and white' but only express that 'allowing yourself to do something wrong in pursuit of something right is dangerous' is concerning to me because a lot of times readers will  say that they agree with an author's thoughts (like that you have to view things in shades of gray) without stopping to evaluate whether they have an intellectual reason for agreeing or they are just being agreeable. I guess what I wanted to bring out of this discussion is why it is worth it to view things in shades of gray if it allows justifying 'wrong' things in the pursuit of something right.

If your only thoughts on the subject was 'viewing things in shades of gray can be more dangerous than viewing things in black and white' then you would be very foolish, what you've clarified in your last post is that you are not foolish, but that you have further thoughts on why 'viewing in shades of gray' is worth the risk. For one thing, you've included that you can mitigate the risk of allowing yourself to become as bad as what you are against by constantly weighing your methods, means, and consequences and ideals (6). Along with mitigating the risk, you assert that you can achieve more 'whiteness' ultimately by allowing methods that are 'not so white' (7). Therefore you've justified that in fact there is plenty of good reason for deciding personally that it is worth it to view things in terms of 'shades of gray'.

Now so far, I have not actually taken a position, only pointed out where your ideas fit in terms of one side or the other, but for the sake of discussion I can. (If you are enjoying this conversation as much as I am then we really should move it to its own topic at this point rather than continue to be off topic here indefinitely. I don't know exactly how the moderation is implemented here, is it too much trouble for a mod to move our series of posts to their own thread while leaving our comments here that are on topic?).

So far, we have in general terms defined 3 basic approaches to decision making in deciding what methods (or means) to take to reach ends(or ideals as we've mostly put it) (Let me know if you want to clarify/reword some of my way of expressing these 3 approaches:

1. Simple Black and White: This is a stricter view of 'black and white' as I've interpreted it from the beginning. It involves not being willing to do any action that you would consider wrong in order to achieve something right. From this approach, end never justify the means, the means must be justifiable actions in and of themselves.
2. Ends Justify the Means: I considered this a type of 'shades of gray' but you considered it a type of 'black and white'. It involves saying that if you pick an ideal to be a 'greater good' it is worth committing any action to achieve it. From my perspective this was type of 'shades of gray' viewpoint, since it involves saying that a 'lesser black' is OK in pursuit of a 'greater white', though you considered this type of 'black and white since someone using this approach could say "if a 'white' ideal is worthy enough of pursuing, then methods that might in and of themselves be considered 'lesser black' methods are now 'white' methods because the the ideal they reach." As the name implies, as long as the End is a 'greater' good by the person taking the actions, then reaching those ends always justifies lesser means that would otherwise be unjustified.
3. Weighed Shades of Gray: This is a stricter view of 'shades of gray' as you've interpreted it from the beginning. It involves not only acknowledging that some things are 'less good' or 'more good' and 'less bad' or 'more bad', but constantly weighing those when making decisions. It allows doing things that would by themselves be 'a little black' in pursuit of a 'greater white' goal, but the constant weighing ensures that you are always coming out 'more good than bad' and never end up becoming as bad as what you are trying to avoid. In this case the ends justify the means only if the means are kept as 'little bad' as possible in pursuit of the ends and the means are never allowed to become as bad as the end that is trying to be avoided.

Now, provided that those 3 approaches are adequately clear, I can, for the sake of discussion, take a position to provide a counterpoint to your point. I think we both agree that position 2, Ends Justify the Means, is a poor method of decision making, in that it too easily allows abuse of justifying your actions; but I will argue that Simple Black and White (option 1) has plenty plenty of merit that justifies it as a better option than your position of Weighed Shades of Gray (3). From now on, I'll only refer to them by the names I have given them rather than their number to avoid confusion when I refer to your numbered points, feel free to suggest alternate names for these three approaches if you think another name is more appropriate to express the approach.

Taking your statement 1 further, we can assume that rather than just having ideal 'appear' black and white, a person can have sorted out their entire beliefs on what is good and right vs. what is bad and wrong and furthermore is capable of deciding how bad and how good each thing is relative to the others. Lets assume that this person has already rejected Ends Justify the Means as too risky because it is can too easily allow him to unintentionally become in his actions than what he is trying to prevent; but this person is still up in the air as to whether he should view things in terms of Simple Black and White or Weighed Shades of Gray. It is important to this person to decide which approach to take with the decisions in his life because he recognizes that he as an individual is capable of much good (and he wants to do so) and there is a lot of bad in the world to oppose and outdo.

Though it is a philosophical difference, I will say I don't except your statement #3, I would say that a 'white' ideal/goal/end is still white (and a black one still black) in and of it self; that you must not say "a white ideal reached with methods both black and white is not truly white" but just that "that white ideal was reached through white and black means." You'll notice that I said 'white and black' rather than 'gray' because I would like to expand your your #2 statement by adding a definition: 'Gray' can refer to a series of methods, some white and some black. From the Weighed Shades of Gray perspective these individual methods can be 'less or more white' or 'less or more black' so that a series of methods of varying 'shades' can have an 'overall' shade to compare to an ideal to say 'is this series of methods, with some things that are 'less bad' worthwhile to accomplish this goal?" For a White or Black perspective however 'less' and 'more' mean nothing, a method is either white or black, there is no gray; and if a series of actions to reach a goal needs to have even one 'black' method in it, then it is not worth pursuing to reach the 'white' goal.

Here is where I'll disagree with you: I disagree with the assumption in #2 that in practice white ideals can be reached only with methods that are 'gray'. There are plenty of things that can be accomplished through only doing good things, there are plenty of ideals that can be reached and even if you limit your immediate effects with small good things they can have lasting impacts causing greater good things later. I will concede that there are certainly some goals, perhaps even a majority of goals, that can only be accomplished by involving some bad actions along the way and therefore become impossible to a person following the Simple Black and White approach, but I argue that if our theoretical person decides to follow the Simple Black and White approach, even though he has to decide that this makes several goals impossible, he still has plenty of goals he can continue to approach and reach through white methods.

On the other hand, if our theoretical person follows the Weighed Shades of Gray path, he risks doing more harm than good. Even though we have assumed that he knows what he believes to be right and wrong and that he knows how they compare to each other as 'less or more right/wrong' he still may be incapable of weighing the complexities of a large situation with so many different aspects and therefore endless options that all must be weighed against each other (as you have conceded, the endless prospects become mind-blowing); and because he may not be capable of fully weighing all of his actions and their consequences against his ideals he may end up doing more harm than good.

Furthermore,  there is always the possibility of failing to achieve your goals. Following Simple Black and White our theoretical person may say "I have to do these five actions in order to reach my goal; though some of them may not actually do any good on their own, none of them are bad." If, three actions into it the person fails, then their actions may or may not have a lasting good, but at least they have done no bad (no harm, no foul). If our person, on the other hand, takes the Weighed Shades of Gray approach he can say"Instead, I can pursue this other goal, it requires five actions as well, an #2 and #4 are slightly bad but necessary, and reaching my goal would be a lot more good!" But if he fails to achieve this goal along the way, he is stuck living with the consequences of the harm done through #2 with nothing good to show for it.

Therefore, even knowing right and wrong and trying ones best; human fallibility makes Weighed Shades of Gray a cause of too many problems in this world when Simple Black and White can only serve a just cause.

It's ok though, I don't think I've had a discussion that's made me think this much since my friend and I tried to solve the dichotomy paradox.
OK, so I know that at this point I'm even going off-topic of our off-topic conversation, but I think this part is actually pretty easy to handle. The dichotomy paradox is easy enough to solve by recognizing that Zeno's problem here is that he assumes two contradictory things: He assumes that a space is infinitely divisible and that an infinite number of actions is not possible. That these two assumptions allow you to reach a conclusion that is impossible is a strong suggestion that at least one of these assumptions is false. The assumption that is more obvious as a falsity from a modern perspective is that one cannot accomplish an infinite number of tasks in his sense of the word: After Zeno's time but before Calculus was developed mathematicians were able to demonstrate that an infinite series can converge to a finite limit and Calculus has shown us it much more simply and with very elegant proof thereof. Even in his time, without these proofs, the dichotomy paradox is one of his least confounding; there reaching a particular position in space fits within his definition a 'task' and he says that a given length can be infinitely divided into sub-lengths and I move from Point A to Point B along that length then there is no reason to suppose that I did not just pass through an infinite number of sub-points along the way so his maintaining that you cannot accomplish an infinite number of tasks is not only baseless but absurd.

Furthermore, his other assumption, that a given length can be infinitely divided, may in fact be false itself. It feels uncomfortable to us to view this 'digital' possibility of reality, but we certainly do not know enough about how reality (life, the universe and everything) works to definitely conclude that it does not function in this way; the more we study the incredibly small the more we see the matter and energy that makes up our universe behaving in this way: Energy is given off not just as analog waves of infinitely divisible amounts but also as specific quanta of energy; even light, which has no discernible mass spends far to much time behaving as a particle, in specific quanta that are not divisible. Quantum mechanics may ultimately lead us to the conclusion that though we think of lengths as being infinitely divisible (Sure, if I can have something that measures a meter, I can have something that measures in half a meter, or a quarter of a meter, or 1/8 of a meter and so on) it may be at some level no longer divisible, that all things that exist exist in specific quanta of dimensions and move about in space in specific quanta of distance, from a tiny position to a tiny adjacent position without being 'in between'. Heck, discovering the Planck length as it relates to other quantum aspects of matter already suggests that spacial dimensions are just as subject to quantization as other aspects of matter and energy.

Now that this so called 'paradox' is solvable by both philosophical reason, deduction and modern mathematics; as well as the other paradoxes of Zeno (many of which are really just different thought experiments that describe the same idea, and are all subject to mathematical solutions) is not to say that Zeno was flat out wrong. That is to say, many of his ideas were not only very influential to subsequent philosophers (along with his teachings from Parmenides) but are still very relevant to philosophical discussion. That is to say, though his so called paradoxes fail to support Parmenides' philosophy of unity and that all distinctions, dimensionality and motion are merely illusion; the fact that the paradoxes can be debunked does not disprove the philosophy either. When Parmenides discussed his doctrine of truth one "What is, is. What is always has been. What isn't, isn't. What isn't never will be." he not only reached a conclusion of the Law of Conservation of Energy in a philosophical context, but he brought up questions of metaphysical change that are still grappled with by philosophers today; so my saying that Zeno fails to support these ideas with his paradox is in no way meant to suggest that both he and Parmenides were anything less than great thinkers for what they have studied and brought about.

Offline AnyaSciarra

• "Computers don't care if they're yelled at."
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2010, 08:13:35 AM »
Quote from: Kotetsu1442 link=topic=4192.msg442686#msg442686 date=1279671621

[quote author=donut link=topic=4192.msg442445#msg442445 date=1279614284
It's ok though, I don't think I've had a discussion that's made me think this much since my friend and I tried to solve the dichotomy paradox.
OK, so I know that at this point I'm even going off-topic of our off-topic conversation, but I think this part is actually pretty easy to handle. The dichotomy paradox is easy enough to solve by recognizing that Zeno's problem here is that he assumes two contradictory things: He assumes that a space is infinitely divisible and that an infinite number of actions is not possible. That these two assumptions allow you to reach a conclusion that is impossible is a strong suggestion that at least one of these assumptions is false. The assumption that is more obvious as a falsity from a modern perspective is that one cannot accomplish an infinite number of tasks in his sense of the word: After Zeno's time but before Calculus was developed mathematicians were able to demonstrate that an infinite series can converge to a finite limit and Calculus has shown us it much more simply and with very elegant proof thereof. Even in his time, without these proofs, the dichotomy paradox is one of his least confounding; there reaching a particular position in space fits within his definition a 'task' and he says that a given length can be infinitely divided into sub-lengths and I move from Point A to Point B along that length then there is no reason to suppose that I did not just pass through an infinite number of sub-points along the way so his maintaining that you cannot accomplish an infinite number of tasks is not only baseless but absurd.

Furthermore, his other assumption, that a given length can be infinitely divided, may in fact be false itself. It feels uncomfortable to us to view this 'digital' possibility of reality, but we certainly do not know enough about how reality (life, the universe and everything) works to definitely conclude that it does not function in this way; the more we study the incredibly small the more we see the matter and energy that makes up our universe behaving in this way: Energy is given off not just as analog waves of infinitely divisible amounts but also as specific quanta of energy; even light, which has no discernible mass spends far to much time behaving as a particle, in specific quanta that are not divisible. Quantum mechanics may ultimately lead us to the conclusion that though we think of lengths as being infinitely divisible (Sure, if I can have something that measures a meter, I can have something that measures in half a meter, or a quarter of a meter, or 1/8 of a meter and so on) it may be at some level no longer divisible, that all things that exist exist in specific quanta of dimensions and move about in space in specific quanta of distance, from a tiny position to a tiny adjacent position without being 'in between'. Heck, discovering the Planck length as it relates to other quantum aspects of matter already suggests that spacial dimensions are just as subject to quantization as other aspects of matter and energy.

Now that this so called 'paradox' is solvable by both philosophical reason, deduction and modern mathematics; as well as the other paradoxes of Zeno (many of which are really just different thought experiments that describe the same idea, and are all subject to mathematical solutions) is not to say that Zeno was flat out wrong. That is to say, many of his ideas were not only very influential to subsequent philosophers (along with his teachings from Parmenides) but are still very relevant to philosophical discussion. That is to say, though his so called paradoxes fail to support Parmenides' philosophy of unity and that all distinctions, dimensionality and motion are merely illusion; the fact that the paradoxes can be debunked does not disprove the philosophy either. When Parmenides discussed his doctrine of truth one "What is, is. What is always has been. What isn't, isn't. What isn't never will be." he not only reached a conclusion of the Law of Conservation of Energy in a philosophical context, but he brought up questions of metaphysical change that are still grappled with by philosophers today; so my saying that Zeno fails to support these ideas with his paradox is in no way meant to suggest that both he and Parmenides were anything less than great thinkers for what they have studied and brought about.
[/quote]

Zeno! Not only a great question asker, but the founder of Stoicism.
"The saddest day of my life was that day when I learned that Sherlock Holmes was not real. Boy was I wrong."--- Norah Yasgur

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »
"Do you hate trash cans? Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!"

YES THIS is the best quote ever. I will never forget it.

well that and Aximili in book 5 going crazy over coffee.

What do I do with the cup?
Throw it away

bad choice of words XD and the Radio Shack guy is all D:

and lets just say BUNZZ cause i will never see a Cinabun the same way again EVER. Aximili pops into my head as soon as I see it. wonder how many people that happened to.

===============================================