Author Topic: Wait a minute...  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Fwahm

Wait a minute...
« on: December 05, 2009, 05:22:07 PM »
Why the hell didn't Visser One give himself (as in his yeerk body) the morphing power, as soon as he got the cube?  He's a megalomaniacal, power-hungry sociopath, so you'd think he would use it to strengthen himself right away. 

However, for some reason, he didn't seem to do so, even though Tom's yeerk was morph capable.

That would have caused a few problems in confining him, I think.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Wait a minute...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »
Maybe he never saw reason to do so
The Andalite host was his ultimate trophy, and he'd only be able to morph what the Yeerk touched; and Andalite, and a small sample of aliens; humans, Hork-Bajir, Taxxons. He had in Alloran a collection of monsters from decades of hunting and the joy he got for being the only Controller of an Andalite.  I imagine a few yeerks would be able to morph themselves, but he remained the only one to have an Andalite do it for him
But if he did get it, just like toms yeerk, would he ever have motive to use it (Though maybe he would have when in the cookie case. Maybe)
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
Visser Three had no reason to give himself the morphing power. His host could morph, and the only time he was out of his host was when he was in his own personal Yeerk Pool. He could have potentially become a nothlit, but that would have eradicated his ability to morph and rendered him powerless. Besides that, I think he just got a bit of a thrill out of controlling Alloran and being a general evil a-hole.

In general I think it was hosts that acquired the morphing ability, not the Yeerks themselves. If the Yeerks got the ability it would cause a serious problem when it came time to demorph. Also, what to do with the hosts in the meantime? It was only when the idea of nothlitism as a "solution" was introduced that Yeerks began to get the power and use it (yay, genocide!).

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Fwahm

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
Except that some Yeerks did indeed have the morphing power directly, as Tom stated, and it would be OOC for Visser Three to let them have that power over himself, IMHO. 

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:53:42 PM »
It's not really OOC. Visser Three was obsessed with Andalites. This obsession started long before they had the morphing technology. He didn't infest Alloran because he wanted to be able to morph--he infested him because he wanted an Andalite host.

Also, being the only Andalite-controller made him unique and special. He was the only one to do it. When other yeerks got the morphing power (either themselves or jus their hosts) that still didn't detract from the fact that his particular situation was unique.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:17 PM »
I think part of the reason Tom's Yeerk acquired him is to show how much bad he is. He stole Tom's body, and his DNA, and he taunts Jake with it.

All the other Yeerks that did that I assume did it so they could become nothlits and free their hosts. Something Visser Three/One would never care to do.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:59:17 PM by Chad28 »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Serraph105

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 03:57:15 AM »
I like to think it's because Visser 1 was very much into the fact that Yeerks were obviously genetically designed to take over and control other species (which I think is mentioned in Visser) and just because some piece of technology comes along that can allow them to disregard that genetic trait doesnt mean anything should change.
Kinda like how humans don't suddenly all switch from being omnivores to being vegetarians just because we can. Sure a few do, but most of us stick with meat and vegetables (myself included) despite the fact we know that it isn't actually necessary and in fact would save lives in other countries if we did.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 04:20:44 AM »
In general I think it was hosts that acquired the morphing ability, not the Yeerks themselves

not if the yeerk touches the cube.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:02:03 AM »
maybe he did acquire it, but kept on using the andalite form.  wasnt he kept in a small box the whole time after getting out?

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »
I think it makes sense that he would acquire the morphing tech but also continue using Alloran, because possessing the only infested Andalite was much more of a status symbol than just having the morphing power.

Offline Green armadillo ette

• If at first you don't  succeed, redefine success.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »
Well how could a slug get ahold of a deadly animal? It was difficult enough for the Animorphs. It is more likely that the hosts got the power not the slug. Maybe the yeerks got the morphing abilities and absorbed their hosts DNA, but that's about as much as their gonna get.
Last night, I laid back in my bed staring up at the stars, and I thought to myself ... I probably should fix that hole in my roof.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »
Well how could a slug get ahold of a deadly animal? It was difficult enough for the Animorphs. It is more likely that the hosts got the power not the slug. Maybe the yeerks got the morphing abilities and absorbed their hosts DNA, but that's about as much as their gonna get.

Who said the animal had to be conscious to be acquired?  The Yeerks could have used dracon beams or something at low power to stun the to-be-acquired animals, exit their host (a la Yeerk Pool system of caging involuntary hosts), acquire it, return to the host.

Or I could be completely mistaken.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline powertrash

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 02:36:16 AM »
Also, considering how powerless Yeerks are in their natural state, I doubt the Visser would have trusted anyone enough to help him to the morphing cube & back in while his trophy (Alloran's body) was available for them and he was powerless. How easy would it be for a power-hungry Yeerk to simply crush the Visser in that state and take the Andalite host? Even if that was only a faint possibility, touching the morphing cube in his natural body would make the Visser extremely vulnerable & I'm sure he would have hated to have to trust someone to help him with the process.
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
[G.K. Chesterton]

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
What's to keep them from doing it anyway? What makes him more vulnerable touching the cube than being in a pool?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline powertrash

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 02:37:13 PM »
What's to keep them from doing it anyway? What makes him more vulnerable touching the cube than being in a pool?

In the pool, he just slips out of the ear and into the pool. After he gets his fix, he slips back into Alloran's body. So he, himself, isn't really at risk--though Alloran's body is, the whole time. Touching the cube means he's out of his host body and not in the pool but literally in the hands of another Yeerk while he finds the cube and touches it--and then gets help getting back in.

Basically, he's more vulnerable as a yeerk on a table than a yeerk in the pool.

The real question is, then, why didn't some other yeerk-cakes try to steal his host body when he was in the pool and pretend to be the Visser? ESPECIALLY in #8, where Visser Three leaves Alloran's body.
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
[G.K. Chesterton]