Author Topic: G.E.A.R. - Book 1: The Beginning  (Read 1197 times)

Offline DarkKaizer

• Even the gates of heaven hold a path to hell...
G.E.A.R. - Book 1: The Beginning
« on: November 26, 2009, 03:35:37 AM »
Not really a fan fiction, but... Meh, it's writing, right?

This a series that I've been planning out, and I have the prologue down right now. Hope you guys enjoy it ^^

Prologue

This is Gauntlet Crosswire, leader of the Guardians of Earth and Alternate Realms, or G.E.A.R. for short. Obviously, Gauntlet isn’t my real name, but why would I want to give it to anyone? If I gave out anything other than a pseudonym, my enemies could find information that was never supposed to be let out…

G.E.A.R. was founded by myself, and my former ally Everith Hart. We created this organization to protect Earth from dark, ghastly creatures from a parallel world, known simply as Shades. The parallel dimension is almost exactly like ours, except for the fact that everything within it is warped and twisted.

Over the seven years that G.E.A.R. has been around, we have picked up several members. Everith’s son, Jonathon Hart, a 17 year old who has control over air currents. Elliot and Edward Hunt, 22 year old twins who have telepathic abilities and control over electromagnetism respectively. Cody Achliss, a 26 year old man who is able to “augment” one of his natural skills by taking away from another. Alex Haynes, a boy the same age as the twins with pyrokinetic abilities. His 19 year old sister, Morgan Haynes, who is able to heal even mortal wounds by taking energy away from herself. And finally, the 18 year old, Dylan Carlisle, our weapons expert with the ability to use echolocation and emit high powered sound waves vocally.

Then, of course, there is Everith and myself. I have the ability to create pocket dimensions, in which I control the environment for a rather short period of time. I am also able to teleport myself and others back to the G.E.A.R. base.

Everith has reality and dimension jumping powers. This allows him to send the Shades back to their world of origin, or even travel there himself. He is the only member who has ever entered the Shade realm. 

I have created this memory log so that my… our story will not be forgotten. We don’t want anyone to make our same mistakes, ever again, and that is why the rest of G.E.A.R. has been asked to record these as well.

I believe the best place to start out is the beginning, or at least what I witnessed of the events. So, here we go…

((I'll have Chapter 1 up later... It won't be too long :P))
|YouTube|dA|My City!|TwitTwat|
Genesis 1:15 - It happen, lights everwear, like christmass, srsly.  (CCV)
Currently Re-Reading: The Encounter (Book 3)

Offline DarkKaizer

G.E.A.R. - Book 1: The Beginning (Chapter 1)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:01:13 AM »
Chapter 1

As I remember, it was a cold November night. It was my shift to watch over things around the base (S.I.E.P.S.U. was not yet invented), and I was patrolling the jet hangar. Marvelous things, our planes are. Fastest in the world, and I knew of no machine that could surpass them.

On this particular night though, my admiring of the crafts was cut short as I heard a scream coming from somewhere inside the base. I didn’t know where at the time, so I simply proceeded to throw the alarm, waking everyone in the process.

As I made my way through one of the hallways, Cody Achliss exited his room, sword in tow. He wasn’t fully dressed, just wearing sweatpants, but he appeared ready for anything as he stood there, his black hair and green eyes shining in the red lighting of the alarms.

“Sounded like one of the twins,” he started before taking off in a run. Cody was referring to Elliot and Edward Hunt. They had just recently joined G.E.A.R., but they were two of our most useful members.

As Cody and I made our way towards the lab, we heard one of them state weakly, “Why…?” at this we rushed in, only to see Everith sending a violent blow to the back of Elliot’s neck.

“Cody! Offensive action!” I exclaimed, running over to Elliot’s body. Quickly I formed a protective field around the two of us.

“But… He’s a commanding officer…” Cody said as he hesitantly pulled at his blade.

“It doesn’t matter, go!” I replied.

At these words, the boy unsheathed his weapon, but it was too late. Everith was already forming a portal into the Shade Realm. In a matter of seconds, the man’s body began to breakdown into what seemed like blocks as he teleported away from the base.

Not thinking twice, I grabbed Elliot from the ground and began to bolt towards the tech lab. G.E.A.R. had been working on experimental technology in case such a situation immerged. As I laid him upon his own lab table, Elliot seemed lifeless; he was loosing blood rather quickly.

“Cody… Grab one of the arms from the wall…” I then proceeded by wrapping the wound tightly. If he lost any more blood, the young man would be dead in a matter of minutes. Afterwards, I proceeded to grab the communication device which controlled every speaker box within the facility.

“Morgan, you are needed in the tech lab, ASAP!” My voice rang over the intercom system. Almost as quickly as I had given the order, our medic entered the room. At first she appeared as if she was rather calm, as if she had just awoken, but as soon as her eyes met Elliot’s… Her expression was one of those things that haunts a person for a lifetime.

“I’ll… I’ll get to work right away, Gauntlet.” She shakily replied as she grabbed a pair of surgical gloves from her apron. She then pulled out a scalpel and medical scissors as well. “Unwrap the wound, Mr. Achliss…”

~

It was painful to just watch Morgan begin working on attaching Elliot’s nerve endings to the mechanical arm that Cody had picked out. Each of the nerves were forced into the circuitry within the arm during surgery, and even though he knew the pain would be great, the boy refused to take any numbing medication of any sort.

Screams were heard throughout the base all that day. The screams of a broken man. I couldn’t even watch the procedure. I simply decided to check on Jonathon, as it was his father who had committed the crime. As I entered his room, however, he was nowhere to be found.

Frantically, I began running throughout the building, taking hallway after hallway, checking room after room, hearing scream after scream. Soon though, I had made my way back to the scene of the crime.

Quietly, I entered the room, glancing quickly to the right, and then the left. I then proceeded to search the study. All seemed normal here, aside from the pool of blood upon the floor. Still, something wasn’t quite right.

That’s when it hit me like a ton of bricks. The bookshelf at the back wall of the study was moved slightly,  and behind it was a… door? I wasn’t sure at the time, but it did look suspicious.

Using my instincts, I shoved the shelf away, causing books to topple to the floor. As I had thought, it was a door. A wooden door with what appeared to be runes engraved upon the edges. I opened it, cautious of what may lay in wait, but what I found was far more disturbing than anyone could possibly imagine.

There, in the center of this new room, was Jonathan Hart. Wings surgically attached to his back, and large wounds all over his bare chest…

(( Criticism/comments/opinions would be accepted kindly on this. I'd really like to have some sort of feedback if anyone is reading this. ^^; ))

Offline DarkKaizer

Re: G.E.A.R. - Book 1: The Beginning
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:19:23 AM »
Chapter 2

Jonathon and I sat down, in my office, trying to make discussion regarding his father’s actions. No luck on his part of course. All he could remember was waking up, and finding himself in the middle of one of Everith’s twisted experiments.

“Well, we’ll have to worry about this later, Jonathon. Just rest a bit, and I’ll call for you if you’re needed.” The boy simply nodded.

That lively young man that I once knew seemed to be gone now. All that was left was a shell of his former self. Even his golden eyes seemed to have faded.

Soon I began to head back towards the tech lab. I hadn’t heard any screams in quite a while, so I assumed that Elliot’s surgery was over. As I entered, however, the only person I found within the lab was Cody.

“He’s been moved to the medical quarters…” The young man replied, as if to answer my thoughts.

Cody was probably more shaken up than anyone about this. It was him, after all, that had hesitated to strike at Everith when he had the chance.

“Listen, Cody… It’s not your fault. He would have gotten away, even if you had…”

“No!” he interrupted, “It’s my fault that he’s out there right now, doing only God knows what!”

There it was the word God. If there was such a being, he had only given us hell, even now. Where was this God when Elliot needed him? Where was he when innocents had been slaughtered by Shades?

“Well… We have to get back to work. I’ll give you the day off if you wish, but I have to go check for any messages we may have over disturbances.”

Quickly I left the lab, and made my way over to the mission briefing hall. It was there that our computer network’s main console was located.

As I entered the area, I immediately called out, “Computer, have there been any disturbances? Any messages regarding Shade attacks?”

“Yes, Gauntlet, several creatures have been spotted in sector 1-3” The computer replied, in its almost human voice.

Elliot had programmed it to sound like a male teenager. It was a meshed vocal system using the speech patterns of Cody, Alex, and Morgan.

“Which part?” I asked. Sector 1-3 was mostly island, but part of it was attached to the mainland as well.

“The island, sir.” It replied, almost as soon as the question was asked.

“Recommended team, if any?”

“Edward, Alex, and yourself.”

I simply nodded, and left. It was obvious that the Shades which had appeared must have been either quick on their feet, or large, or possibly both. Quickly, I pulled out my communicator and switched on Edward and Alex’s.

“You are needed in the hangar. We have a mission, boys.” I then flipped the communicator off, and made my way towards the first jet in holding, The BH-1. It was our quickest, and stealthiest of airborne vehicles, and we would need the speed if we wished to arrive on time.

As I opened the jet’s loading platform, the two men made their way into the garage. The two seemed to be bothered by something, obviously what had happened the previous night, but I knew them. They wouldn’t let it get in the way of work.

“Permission to board, sir?” Edward asked in his official tone of voice. He was blinded as a child, and thus had put forth an effort not to be in the way.

“Granted.” I calmly replied as I placed my visor over my face. Pretty soon the screen of my visor separated my vision into a four part command device.

With this, I was able to see not only what was ahead of me to a greater degree, but I was also able to communicate with our computer, calculate strategies by scanning an opponent, and utilize the jet’s controls without doing so by hand.

As we boarded the BH-1, as if by instinct the three of us walked to our respective seats within. I, as their leader, sat opposite of them around the table in the center.

Soon the plane was taking off, and we began discussing the mission. I must have gone through the briefing at least twice before we were all sure of the plan.

“Do you have any information on the Shades we’ll be facing at all?” Alex asked, obviously needing to know if all of our powers would work on the beasts.

“We’ll just have to be prepared for anything. The island is uninhabited for the most part, so there were no local sightings to draw information upon.” I replied. The boy simply nodded at this, and we both looked to Edward.

Edward, of course, noticed this due to the electric pulse he constantly sent out like radar of sorts. This was the only way he was able to ‘see’ anything.

“I have nothing to add…” He stated calmly, and then laid his head back. Slowly he closed his eyes and pulled out an MP3 player.

The soft sounds of what appeared to be rock music could be heard coming from his headphones. He was most likely trying to calm himself down and drown his surroundings out. It was obvious that he was trying not to think about his brother who was back at the base.

“We’ll be arriving soon…” I stated as I switched my visor to a full view of the outlook of the plane. I could see the island making its way into the horizon.

(( Well, there's Chapter 2. Enjoy! ))

Offline DarkKaizer

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 08:48:59 PM »
Chapter 3

We slowly exited the jet, walking down the path it had made as it landed. Alex had strapped on his single glove which he had named the “Igniter”. He called it this because of the cloth it was made from, and it’s ability to help him control his pyrokinesis. Edward had simply grabbed one of his many bo staves which he kept in the armory portion of the BH-1.

“Stay on your toes, people. The feel of darkness that lingers around  here is rather strong.” I commanded as I slowly waved my hand, creating a nearly invisible barrier around us. It was a weak one, but it was enough for the moment.

“Hopefully we can just get this over with and check on my brother when we make our return.” Edward calmly replied as he removed his headphones from his ears and placed them in his pocket. He then spun his staff around, obviously trying to create a stronger electromagnetic current so that he could see farther out.

We then stopped as we reached where the beach ended and the jungle began. It was strange looking out into the distance as I magnified my visor’s vision. It was as if the area was completely normal, but I could still feel the presence of multiple shades.

Slowly we began our trek through the trees and foliage, and kept on the lookout for anything strange or out of place. Soon we had reached a cleared out area close to the center of the island. It was as if the trees had been ripped apart by something, but this was more orderly. It was like they were trying to clear this space to create a nest of some sort.

“This must be the place…” Alex quietly stated as he broke away from my barrier.

“Alex, no!” I shouted, but it was too late. As if on instinct, several shades had swarmed around the young man. They looked like giant insects, closely resembling wasps of some sort, except for the fact that they were rather large with strange markings covering their entire exoskeleton.

Quickly they made their first move, flying in to try and go directly for the kill, but Alex was faster. As he snapped, small eruptions of flame broke through the air, charring the first shades they met. The boy then rolled back into my barrier, barely escaping a second attack.

“This is why we stay close…” I whispered as the creatures began to fly around my barrier, surrounding us. Several of them attempted to sting through the field, but they were too weak. They were simply forced back by their own blows.

Slowly we progressed, making sure to keep within my defenses. Soon we had come upon the amazing nest they had built. The wasps had used the bark from the trees and some form of adhesive to build the hive. Further inspection proved that several ‘builders’ were taking the bark, placing it upon the structure, and using their own saliva to hold the thing together.

“This is so gross!” Alex exclaimed as we made our way inside. A purple slime was oozing from the walls within, and what appeared to be eggs were nestled within globs of it. The eggs were rather large, about the size of a person’s ribcage, and looked as if they could begin hatching.

“Just continue to stay close. There could be a…”

I had started, but then Edward interrupted with, “Queen. Straight ahead of us.”

The beast within was barely visible and seemed to be sleeping. It looked almost exactly like the wasps from outside, except for a few differences.

Firstly, the thing was about the size of a small home, and had several spikes running along it’s back. The thorax of the creature was rather bulbous, and lacked a stinger; in which what appeared to be a orifice was located. Lastly, the queen had no eyes, meaning that it used it’s antennae to sense it’s surroundings.

“Keep your guard up, comrades. As stated earlier, we will have to expect whatever will come our way.” I then headed toward the Shade’s thorax to get a better look. As my visor scanned it, I noticed that it was almost translucent aside from the black, tribal-like markings upon it. Eggs were clearly visible within.

Quickly I placed my hand upon the slimy exoskeleton, and the queen awoke with an ear busting screech as I sent a wave throughout it’s body. The thorax then busted and the goliath took flight. Soon it had grotesquely regenerated it’s lost part and grown a new stinger in it’s place.

“What did you do?!” Edward screamed as he began to back away.

“The next batch of eggs is now taken care of. Now all we have to worry about is the queen and what’s left of her drones.” I replied as I lowered the field around us. “Now, take formation!”

At amazing precision, the two brought themselves to either sides of me, taking their battle stances. Drones flooded the entire inhabitance as they detected our presence once more, and the queen let out another squeal.

“Hate to burst your bubble, Gauntlet…” Alex then proceeded to set several of the drones aflame, snap after snap. “…but this isn’t one of your best ideas!”

“Would you rather have it lay more of these creatures?” I calmly asked as I aimed my left arm at the queen. The Shade was quick, but not quick enough. I sent blast after blast at its wings, bringing it to the ground. It was now writhing in pain.

Soon the drone and worker wasps had seemingly forgotten about us and flew to the assistance of their leader. This is when we took our chance at exiting the hive. Soon we had made it back outside, and Alex snapped repeatedly, trying to catch their nest on fire.

We then found ourselves watching the catastrophe which had ensued. As the beasts burned, we could hear their screams, and the screams of what sounded like babies. Obviously the cries of the newly hatched young.

“Can we go now?” Edward asked impatiently. As I nodded, he made leave, going back the way we had come. Alex then looked at me with a sigh as he took leave as well.

I just stood there though, looking on at the burning mass of bark and wasp saliva. For some reason I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. It reminded me of something, some memory of my youth. A moment in time when I was oblivious to the dangers of these creatures.

These events had reminded me of when I had first met the man known as Everith Hart. All those years ago when Shades had attacked the village that I lived in. I was but a teenager when this had happened, but I had fought back.

He had helped me back then; helped me to destroy the shadowy beings that had destroyed my hometown. Afterwards, it was another 19 years before I saw him again, this time with a son. We had founded G.E.A.R. on that exact day of meeting, and we had made vows to keep the people out of danger to the best of our ability.

Now though, it was as if I couldn’t believe anything anymore. Had his words meant nothing? Had Jonathon and I been the only ones that had meant what we stated on that day? Why had this man betrayed us, and what were his goals now?

Offline DarkKaizer

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »
Chapter 4

The BH-1 docked itself back within the hangar at the G.E.A.R. base. Slowly it descended into its grounds, and the boys and I exited the jet.

“Mission accomplished.” I stated, and then removed my visor. “You may now go about your daily business.”

As I finished, Alex and Edward began walking away, and then exited into the main corridor. I then sighed and made my way back to the discussion hall, to report our mission’s success to the computer.

Making my way into the room, I noticed that Alex was already at the computer, talking to the A.I. Keeping quiet, I took my seat and listened to his words.

“Computer, sector 1-3 has been cleared of Shades.”

“Everything went well?” the computer asked in its human vocals. There was still a hint of robotics in its voice though.

“Everyone has returned unscathed. The mission went as planned.” Alex then turned, and looked at me almost emotionlessly. There was still a hint of pain in his expression, but I let that slide.

“Well, now that you have done what I was planning, should we go check on Elliot’s condition?” I asked, rising from the seat I had taken, and the young man nodded. We then exited the chamber, walking to the ER.

As we approached the room, we could hear Edward and his brother making a discussion on something, but as we entered the two grew silent. Their gazes then met Alex and me, and the two of us stood there, speechless.

Elliot’s arm had now been replaced with the robotic one, and he seemed fine. The only thing that proved otherwise was the blood upon the bed he was sitting upon. Not just a few small stains of blood, but a stain large enough to where it almost engulfed the entire bed.

The arm consisted of a unit for the upper arm, which had two wires running downward to the forearm. The joint units were simple rotating gears, which had stoppers at the points where an arm would no longer move. All in all, it was completely humanoid, except for the grey color, and a hand that would more appropriately be described as a claw.

“Is everything alright?” I asked, walking over to Elliot’s bedside, admiring the marvelous technology that had been attached to his body. “Any discomfort of any sort?”

Elliot shook his head as he replied with, “Everything is fine here, but Gauntlet…” The young man then looked down at the floor, letting his hair fall over his face. “What of Everith? Have you heard anything?”

I was taken back by these questions. After everything the man had done to Elliot, the boy still wanted to know of his whereabouts! This was absurd; there was obviously something psychologically wrong with this boy. Or, At least, that was what I was thinking until he spoke again.

“We need to find him, Gauntlet… He has to be put away, and not just for what he did to me!” He then grew silent once more as Jonathon entered the room.

Everith’s son seemed almost angelic with the wings that now folded down his back. They suited him, in a morbid sense, considering the fact that he had the ability to control air currents and shift the wind to his own use.

“And what of you, Jonathon?” I asked, and when I did he just smirked. That was a rather unusual action for the teen. He was usually rather quiet and took orders on the spot, but I guess his father must have changed him in more than one way.

“Elliot is right, Gauntlet. My father… Everith needs to be brought to justice.” I’ll never forget these words, and the manner at which they fell from Jonathon’s lips. He spoke his father’s name with such disgust. In a way though, I could understand how he must have felt right then. Betrayed, scarred, tormented, cursed…

“We will discuss these matters later, but right now we must continue on as normally as possible. If Everith is planning anything, we don’t need to rush in and look for him. We may stumble into a trap of some sort.” Rising, I glanced at the clock. It was already four o’clock in the afternoon, and there was still much work to be done.

“Elliot, I will give you work leave for as long as you request, but I expect you to work as hard as usual upon your return, if not harder.” I then began to leave the room, but then I felt something upon my shoulder. It was cold and sent chills up my spine. Elliot’s hand.

“I don’t need any time off, Gauntlet. You of all people should know I’m better than that.” I just smiled at these words and continued making my way out the door. As it closed behind me, all I could think of was the future, and what more it could possibly place upon these boys’ shoulders.