Author Topic: The Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide!  (Read 113050 times)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
Re: The Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide!
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »
Hmmm. . . . That Death Battle bit. Did you plan on releasing this on the same day that a new Death Battle was released? ;)

Anyway, another excellent and entertaining review, per usual.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #406 on: September 30, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »
It's weird, I've always really liked this book, but allot of people rag on this book because it's weirdddd. I'm glad that someone agrees with me, I loved all the bizarre dream in a dream in a dream stuff. I actually feel like this kinda fits in the final arc, mostly because it seems like the most trippy experimental stuff (41, 46, 42, TEC, and  even 44 to a lesser extent) came in the final arc and last batch of forty. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:24:42 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #407 on: September 30, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »
I have to admit, I was never a fan of this book. It's a great idea in theory (David returning and Crayak tempting Rachel both needed to happen) but I never liked how it was put into practice. The confusing dream/reality distortion isn't really my kind of thing, much like how I didn't enjoy #41.

Having said that, the final scene is amazing and I quite like that they didn't reveal David's fate. I like to think that Rachel did actually kill David, but as an act of mercy not revenge. He was pleading for his life and she wanted to be the "good guy." As twisted as it sounds, killing him was probably the kindest thing to do at that point.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #408 on: September 30, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »
I do really love the end. I tend to agree with Mike on what happened, too. Iiii otherwise don't remember what I thought about this book at all.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #409 on: September 30, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
I have to admit, I was never a fan of this book. It's a great idea in theory (David returning and Crayak tempting Rachel both needed to happen) but I never liked how it was put into practice. The confusing dream/reality distortion isn't really my kind of thing, much like how I didn't enjoy #41.

Having said that, the final scene is amazing and I quite like that they didn't reveal David's fate. I like to think that Rachel did actually kill David, but as an act of mercy not revenge. He was pleading for his life and she wanted to be the "good guy." As twisted as it sounds, killing him was probably the kindest thing to do at that point.
My thoughts exactly.
yeah

Offline poparena

« Reply #410 on: October 13, 2015, 07:26:02 PM »
Winner, Best RAFproject 2011

THE OPINIONATED ANIMORPHS BOOK GUIDE

guitarhero01234

« Reply #411 on: October 13, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »
I've always really liked this book for a few reasons. First off, it has two of the funniest moments in the whole series; Rachel's mom threatening a bear with a spice rack and Ax the juvenile delinquent. It's also a huge, fist-pump moment for Tobias, and despite the bittersweet-ness of the whole thing with Loren, it's probably the best thing that's happened for Tobias, really. I have to argue that the issues you pointed out didn't really hurt the book at all because they didn't really affect the plot or pacing; they were mostly minor oversights (then again, judging by your 9/10 rating, I'd guess you felt the same way).

Also, the mp3s are coming along sometime. I've been kind of busy/injured lately, and I either haven't had time to convert them or just didn't feel like it. Sorry.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #412 on: October 13, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »
I don't know why -- but I found that Ax-unable-to-unlearn-Flash joke so hilarious that I had to give you a +1, poparena, just for that alone.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

guitarhero01234

« Reply #413 on: October 13, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »
****, I forgot to mention how much I loved that joke. :P Yeah, this is one of the funniest reviews from you that I can think of. Awesome work :D

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #414 on: October 14, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »
I love this book a lot for a lot of reasons, but one of those is kind of random: it's literally the only time I've ever seen full-blown amnesia described in fiction? Loren didn't just forget who she was, she had to relearn how to function, period. Considering how often that trope shows up, that's not really explored much. At all. because it's not sexy, let's be real, that's why

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #415 on: October 14, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »
Brilliant and very entertaining review of one of my favourite books in the series. Serious drama and major changes to the status quo, but also the best comedy scene ever with Ax the Delinquent :XD:

I love this book a lot for a lot of reasons, but one of those is kind of random: it's literally the only time I've ever seen full-blown amnesia described in fiction? Loren didn't just forget who she was, she had to relearn how to function, period. Considering how often that trope shows up, that's not really explored much. At all. because it's not sexy, let's be real, that's why

I agree. I don't think I've ever seen amnesia that in-depth described in any fiction before. Sure they forget their name, favourite film and who they're married to, but Loren forgets what teeth are and how to brush them. Can't get much more serious memory loss than that.

As mentioned in the review, I was also very annoyed that Loren never really shows up again or has any role whatsoever after this book. She's a great character, one of the reasons I love Andalite Chronicles and I'm glad she came back, but they should have either found a use for her in the final arc or killed her off. I'm not a fan of loose ends.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #416 on: October 24, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
I laughed when you were reading the part when Tobias was eating the burger. Me thinks a little McDonald's fetish came out in that. I also definitely the best/funniest of the final arch books :) (I also really liked 48)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:22:46 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #417 on: October 24, 2015, 02:53:28 PM »
What happened to your font size?
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #418 on: October 24, 2015, 03:15:04 PM »
 I typed that on Reddit and I reposted it here :P
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #419 on: October 24, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
yeah