Author Topic: The Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide!  (Read 113066 times)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Re: The Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide!
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »
The intent doesn't matter, the fact is that it caused them physical harm and therefore Erek should have been incapable of doing it.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

NateSean

« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2013, 01:49:51 PM »
The intent doesn't matter, the fact is that it caused them physical harm and therefore Erek should have been incapable of doing it.

On the otherhand, he had the ability to willingly choose to rewrite his programming once he knew of the Pemalite crystal's location.  That in and of itself was an action resulting in the harm of several beings. Then there's the way he can manipulate the Animorphs into doing his fighting for them on the planet of the Iskoort.

So we know there's gray area around what the Chee can and can't do in regards to causing physical harm.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #287 on: March 17, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »
Well the act of altering his programming itself doesn't cause any harm, neither does manipulating people, so it's more like a loophole in his software or something. On the other hand,  right at the end of the series they blackmail Erek by threatening to have Chapman killed if he doesn't help them, and that worked.

Offline Cookie

« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »
Well the act of altering his programming itself doesn't cause any harm, neither does manipulating people, so it's more like a loophole in his software or something. On the other hand,  right at the end of the series they blackmail Erek by threatening to have Chapman killed if he doesn't help them, and that worked.

Hmmmm you know how Erek's choices in the end resulted in the death of Rachel, didn't he know that she was on the blade ship and that draining the dracon beams could result in her injury/death (sort of the same as he know if he didn't do what the Animorphs said they would kill chapman)  HOW DOES HIS PROGRAMMING WORK.

It's like Chee-ception.

I feel like KA owes us a manual.

Offline poparena

Winner, Best RAFproject 2011

THE OPINIONATED ANIMORPHS BOOK GUIDE

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #290 on: June 14, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »

"Ever since David shoved a body down an elevator shaft..." For some reason, I really loved that line :P

Great review of what may just be my favourite book--though, I haven't officially decided, since I haven't gone through an appropriate reread of the series. At the most, I can definitely say it's in my top five.

Kudos, Pop. And, for what it's worth, I do watch some of your other videos. I enjoyed the few episodes you did of Alex Mac, and look forward to more.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

NateSean

« Reply #291 on: June 14, 2013, 05:50:36 AM »
It's this book and Megamorphs 4 that I become phsyically ill over when I even consider trying to read them again. That's not hyperbole and it's not because I felt they were bad books. It's all because of what Tobias goes through in each book.

At the end of the day, the reason Tobias was always my favorite character was because I identified with him; bullied, poor family life, and maybe only one or two people who actually gave a crap about me. Then I think of all of these kids in the news who comitted suicide because of bullying and I think that at least I had a way to escape from it that those kids didn't have, and seeing someone else in that kind of pain makes me feel sick and dirty that I'm powerless to stop it.

For that reason, I can't bring myself to read any of the books where Tobias is savagely bullied or mistreated. The fact that I was able to get through it once was bad enough and even when you glossed over some of those parts, I still felt the pang of nausea.

None of this is your fault of course, or the fault of the writers. I'm not placing blame or saying it shouldn't have been written like that. In my mind, if a story gives a reader that kind of reaction, it's only because it was well written enough to hit the emotional tones just right. I'm just emotionally scarred like that to where I can't even see a fictional character going through those things and not feel that way.

Great review as always.

Offline poparena

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »
Can't believe I only just noticed this! I'm sure you get sick of people asking for more Animorphs reviews, but they really are very interesting and entertaining. Great review as always, and I can't wait to see you make fun of Cassie being possessed by an Andalite ghost! ;D

Offline poparena

« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »

Offline poparena

Offline poparena

« Reply #296 on: November 17, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
Let's see if you guys actually notice this time.  :XD:

My review of #35 The Proposal

Part One:
Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide - #35 The Proposal (1/2)

Part Two:
Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide - #35 The Proposal (2/2)

or you can watch it all in one piece on Blip:
http://blip.tv/pop-arena/opinionated-animorphs-book-guide-35-the-proposal-6691921

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #297 on: November 17, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »
I noticed! I just didn't have anything to add! :P

...I felt the need to post this before actually pressing play. XD

NateSean

« Reply #298 on: November 22, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
Marco's "little problem" was another one of those, "KA pleases the fans" moments. So for those keeping track:

Female Andalite: Aldrea
New Animorph David
Big Red Eye: Crayak
Animorphs mixing morphs

All things that fan after fan kept requesting in the letters until KA must been happy with the amount of allowance and baby-sitting money rolling in and said, "Sure, here you go guys"

It might have worked a little better if they had tried to make it more grounded, like with Rachel's allergic reaction. Because we all have animals we're allergic too and there's a kind of body horror associated with the idea of what animals we could have that reaction with. As crappy as book 12 was, it introduced a new eggshell to walk on.

Can't wait to see your review on Visser.

Offline Cloudbreaker

• My activity may be at/near 0% but I'm still here.
    • Animorphs: The Revival
« Reply #299 on: November 22, 2013, 02:15:35 PM »
I've been checking back regularly since July to see if a new episode had been posted, so I am glad to see you are still cranking them out.  Keep up the great work!