Author Topic: How and when did you hear about and start reading and/or watching Animorphs?  (Read 4171 times)

Offline baldolera

Just curious. You see, some ppl learn though the tv show, or the books. I, for one, right now am only 13, so that would make me 3-4 when Animorphs was first known. My teacher, now, is about to retire, so you can imagine how many years had passed since she was teaching, so her whole book collection is about Animorphs. I just wondered if there was a tv show based on the books, so I googled it. My teacher doen't have all the books in teh sereies, and i googled some more and, well, here I am watching the whole tv series and I printed out the whole series of the e-books of this site. Waste of paper, but still worth the trouble. ;D

where in canada do you live and how did your teacher come across teh books? cuz if you live in the GTA, and she got the books from a garage sale, tell her i want them back :p

anyway when i was about 8 i was at camp and one of my friends was reading "the forgotten" and i asked him what it was. He explained what the book was about, and i thought it was cool, so i borrowed the book and loved it

I live in Scarborough and the books are in a very bad condition. overy the years of teaching, kids have distrespected the books. :(

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
Bastards! They should all be skinned.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Blake (xtrunkzx)

• Holy Frell...
    • My Tumblr
i was 10? The fifth grade...omg that's going on 12 yrs ago now...wow...
anyways, they had this thing where u have to read 4-5 books a month and each month had a specific genre attached to it. Sci-Fi/Fantasy month comes along, & I spot the Animorphs series. Thought the cover was cool & started reading. Did a complete 180, went from a Book hating-never want to touch one-TV Addict to TV hating Bookworm. (Well except a small handfull of tv shows).

As for the show, knew bout it, but never got around to actually watching it until back when I found original RAF
Formally possibly known as Ty[ler]
I am active on tumblr and always can use more people to follow that post KA stuff.

Not an active member but pops in whenever possible or whenever remembered which is almost never...

Offline parangacett

3rd or 4th grade - I remember getting book 2 at the second scholastic book sale when they sold animorphs, skipped over book 1 because the the morph on the cover just didn't look as awesome as the other two books (2 and 3).  After I read book two and liked it, then I got book 1.

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
all i remember is in grade 3 i read #2 and #19 and asking the teacher "why is there <> instead of " "?" and that's all i remeber about it back then. Then in grade 5 i saw those books again and i sorta remember reading them but i avoided those books until i saw one of my friends reading them so i started reading them again and stuff

and i really don't know when i found out about the show, most likely when i was searching up "animorphs" on google like, uh, 2 years ago...?
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
In the 7th grade, had been seeing them in the scholastic flyer for a few months, but couldn't afford both it and goosebumps. One day I found book 2 in my school library. I never went back to Goosebumps afterwards, lol.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

NateSean

My teacher doen't have all the books in the sereies,

If your school was near me, and your teacher could promise me the books would never be damaged or leave the classroom, I would gladly give the entire animorphs collection to her class.
To answer your question, I was about the same age as you. Thirteen or fourteen, when I was in the town's library and saw books 1 through 4 on display in the children's section.

It wasn't until someone had given me the gist of the series that I borrowed book four first. That's right, the Messenger was the first book I had ever read of Animorphs. From that moment on, I was hooked.

Offline Funky Poacher

• beach day Beach Day BEACH DAY
I was probably 13 (so 10 years ago) and rumaging around in my aunt's loft to look for something to read. Of all the books in all the lands, she had an Animorphs issue, 15 to be specific. After that, the rest is history. I can't really remember my initial reaction to it at all, but something must have stuck because I got most of the collection after that.
"Scientists get funky about having their research poached" - Byers

Offline OMGsoObsessed

I had just finished reading Plague by Michael Grant. I thought I would explode because I had to wait until April 2012 for the next one (Fear.) I decided to look up more of his books to read, and found out he had a wife who also wrote books. I saw that one of the characters was named Rachel, and got books 1 and 2 on my kindle. I'm sure you guys can guess what happened next  :)
My name is Rachel. I'm blonde. I like gymnastics. I love shopping/ the mall/ clothes. My best friend's favorite name is Cassie. My mom's a lawyer. I have two younger siblings. I have two close friends (who are first cousins) named Jordan and Sara. Sara's younger brother is named Jake.

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
Re: How and when did you hear about and start reading and/or watching Animorphs?
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 02:54:22 AM »
I was born in November 1990. In 8th grade, I was at a new school and I saw a few Animorphs books in the little library they had. I read the few that they did have, not caring that they were out of order. I also tried reading The Ellimist Chronicles then, but it didn't hold my attention then. I'd like to read it for real now that I'm older, but I haven't yet.

Okay, actually, my story is a bit more complicated than that, but I honestly can't remember the finite details of how I first heard about Animorphs. :(

Offline Snakie

Re: How and when did you hear about and start reading and/or watching Animorphs?
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 10:49:39 AM »
I thought Ellimist Chronicles was pretty disappointing tbh, and it doesn't really answer any questions important for understanding the series.

But if you're one of those types that needs to read everything, go for it.

Offline QIfry

• A 28 year old that won't grow up. Growing up sucks
    • M.O.R.P.H. - An Animorphs Fancomic Series
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 02:46:24 AM »
Oh geez... Back in the 6th grade, I think. I saw the first three books at a school's book fair and what really drew me in was #2 : The Visitor. Just seeing Rachel turning into a cat sold me. So I bought #1 and #2 and a few days later I bought #3. Been a fan since. So around '96 or '97. I'm 27 now and still collecting. :D

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 04:14:31 AM »
That's craziness. I had almost the same intro.

In 6th grade English we had Recreational Reading. I was going through the line of books in our little bookshelf and all of a sudden there was a book with a guy turning into a lizard! I immediately grabbed that book and was immediately hooked. I even kept that book (still have it too). I think at the time only the first 3 or 4 were even released, so I was at Barnes & Noble every single month clammering for the newest book.

I currently have every book save four or five titles. I should look into craigslist or eBay  to get the others I need.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Blaise Zebrataur

• Ranked 56th in Most Posts
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's MVP of Roleplaying
    • Oreius Nascar Leagues
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 04:13:41 AM »
I learned about it from what I remember was my last year in Middle School.I was looking around to find some other books to get,because I had checked out a wrestling one for three times in a row and they said I needed to wait about two weeks before I could check it out again,so I was bored trying to find something different and I looked all over for something new.

So I went to the back if the library and was looking and on the bottom shelf was a WHOLE row filled with Animorphs books.So I figured this would be a cool little series to try,so I got the first five checked out,read them in class,at home,on the bus anywhere I could and I got hooked and it made me into a big fan and a fan of role playing Tobias and such.

Oddly,that same day I found Animorphs,I was looking through another book and saw a picture of a Centaur for the first time and I was in awe at it.Who knew I'd travel down the weird road of growing up as a fan of Animorphs and Centaurs...?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:16:26 AM by Tobias »

Offline movingthestars

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:36 AM »
Mostly I just lurk but I really want to reply to this topic so.

I started reading the books in 5th grade. I saw the first one in an issue of the Scholastic Magazine (an advertisement right when it came out), thought it looked awesome, and bought it when the book fair came to town. After I went to middle school there was no more book fair, so I went to Walden Books (does that even exist any more??) every time a new book came out. I have a bunch of the freebies you used to get with the books at home somewhere. I never game up on the series, I bought every book as soon as it came out and I finished the series when it ended about 5 years after it came out. It was a huge part of my life growing up.

I never watched the TV series when it aired on Nickelodeon because we didn't have cable, but someone sent me copies of all the episodes about 6 years back, so I have seen it. It was okay. Not as bad as everyone says I don't think, but I prefer my versions of the characters.

Now for the first time I am re-reading the entire series (in celebration of the new release, I am buying those books as they come out too in hopes that it will help do something more for the fandom) for the first time since it ended over 10 years ago. I have 10 more books left to go!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:17:48 AM by movingthestars »
Follow me on Instagram: @theanimorphscollector

"We do not interfere. But sometimes we repair what has been shattered.”