Author Topic: How and when did you hear about and start reading and/or watching Animorphs?  (Read 4175 times)

Offline baldolera

Just curious. You see, some ppl learn though the tv show, or the books. I, for one, right now am only 13, so that would make me 3-4 when Animorphs was first known. My teacher, now, is about to retire, so you can imagine how many years had passed since she was teaching, so her whole book collection is about Animorphs. I just wondered if there was a tv show based on the books, so I googled it. My teacher doen't have all the books in teh sereies, and i googled some more and, well, here I am watching the whole tv series and I printed out the whole series of the e-books of this site. Waste of paper, but still worth the trouble. ;D

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
In 6th grade, it was Silent Sustained Reading in my English Class. I looked around my classrooms library. <Reference, biologies, autobios, preppy fiction, stupid, boring.> Then a book crosses my eye that intrigues me. <Is that a kid turning into a lizard?>

I pick up a cool-looking book titled "Animorphs". I open to the first page being an illustration of a lizard in a school locker. <Now this looks cool.>

I read the first couple paragraphs, and instantly fell in love with it. The Friday we went to Chico, CA to go to the movies, we finish our dinner with time to kill before going to the movie. So we go to a Barnes & Noble. I immediately go to the Sci fi section and look for Animorphs. Not there, okay, just fiction, not there. I ask an attendant, they tell me it's in the kids section. I don't care if I am eleven, I'm going into that kiddie secion, and finding this book.

I scan the shelves, and right next Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys, I see Animorphs. At the time there were only three published, I buy the first two, 'cause that's all I could afford.

From then on, I bought every single book that was released on the month they were released, save 5 books, when I either couldn't find it, they sold out, or we just didn't go to Chico that month.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline EscafilDevice

Printing out the e-books of Animorphs is definitely NOT a waste of paper.

My sister bought some when I was in the first grade and I eventually started reading them.

When I was younger I thought "OMG ANIMALS R COOL AND MARCO IZ FUNNI" but I got really into the series in middle school when I started re-reading it. I had bought all of the books by that point.

Offline Adrian Malacoda

• Break me off a piece of that
  • Gold Donor
5th grade. The teacher had some books on her bookshelf. Later I read all the books I could out of the school library. Elementary and middle school had a decent selection, high school did not (I suppose the high school library dedicated more time to "academic" books)
Free Software Foundation associate member #8136

Offline Chad32

• God
I was still big into reading, and we came across a small bookstore I had never been in before. I checked out a few books, and one of them was book 8. I read it, liked it, and the nexyt time I was in I started looking for more. It was some summer around the time book 15 came out.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline baldolera

Printing out the e-books of Animorphs is definitely NOT a waste of paper.

yeah, especially when my mom secretly printed it at her workplace for me, 5 books a month, INCLUDING the altermorphs, andalite chronicles, etc. and its free, and u cant find it in teh stores because its too old. but most of all, THESE BOOKS ROCK!!!

oh yeah, and if you stack these books all in one pile, then it will be as tall as my knees.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:31:13 PM by baldolera »

Offline Bladeh Mercury

• Xtreme Member
  • Beware of my love of cats!
all the books? I thought it would be bigger than that.

sometime in 7th grade (only a few years ago), my brother brought home a book from his school library. It was 8. I read it and absolutely loved it. And when he returned it, I begged him "can you get me that book back?" so many times, but he couldn't, and I was horrified. Then we went to public library and then started my journey of many library trips to read the entire series, all in a year. 

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
I first saw them in a scholastic magazine when I was in 4th grade and thought it looked cool.

Offline foxglade

• Wait. Hold the intergalactic phone!
    • In My Life
couple of months ago. I know, I know. but the bus was gonna be there in 15 minutes, so I had some time to kill. I went to the school library (my motto is: when in doubt go to the library) and I saw a book. The True Story of Lilli Stubeck. We'd read an extract in class, so I was like, hey cool. I was about to get it, when I saw the book in the shelf below it. Animorphs. I picked up the first book and read the inside cover. Huh, I thought. That sounds a bit like Shapeshifter series. So I borrowed it. And here I am :D
My String, My Rules. But the teacher made me throw my string away. :(
http://www.tobias-perigrine.blogspot.com
I see a little silhouette of a man SCARAMOUCH SCARAMOUCH will you do the fandango?
You can laugh or you can cry. Personally? I do both. At the same time.
Animorphs: The first 10 were light, funny, still innocent. But slowly, it got darker, more moral, passionate and mature. And then it was messy, bloody. It was chaos. It was the end.

Mira

I got 4 books for birthday #10, 12, 13 and 16
Then I began to read number 10... and Marco really annoyed me so I decided after only a few chapters that I didn't like the books.
Some years later I decided I would read all of those books anyway so I finished number 10 which didn't tell me anything (all the information I needed to understand anything were in the chapters that I had read some years before. When I had finished it I decided to start with the next one to have in done... and I immediately fell in love with Rachel, Tobias and Jake. I even fell in love with Marco so I reread number 10. The next book I bought after that was a Marco book... (I wanted a Cassie book since I didn't have anyone but there were no Cassie books in the store that day and I live about 100km away from the city and can't go there every day - next time I tried to find a Cassie book I found the only Ax book translated into Swedish, I didn't know Ax had narrated a book and in curiousity, I picked the Ax book instead - and then I read on Wikipedia that Jake had been a controller so the Cassie book had to wait again - and if that wasn't bad enough, they didn't had #6 that time so I picked #11 instead)
So that is what came out of a book that I didn't like and that it took me some years to read... How did that happen?

Offline baldolera

gd thing u tried.

Offline Sub Visser

• The SECOND Andalite Controller
I remember just browsing around in elementary school library just looking for anything that caught my eye.  The Animorphs covers looked cool so I think I just read the books with cool animals on the cover.  I also remember never reading the Cassie and Rachel books because at that age girls were gross.  It wasn't until just this year that I decided to read the series from 1-54.

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
I first saw the books back in 2001...for some odd reason the college bookstore had a few kids' books in one section. There were mostly textbooks and then this one section with some general reading and some kids' stuff. I almost bought The Message once because of the dolphin on the cover but ultimately didn't. At the time I had heard of the TV series somewhere and thought the books were tie-ins with the series the way Nickelodeon does with a lot of its current shows.

When I started working in the library, I occasionally put away some of the books and would see them when I shelved other books, and when I finally read the back of book one, I had to check out the first one. It was partly the fact I'm a huge animal lover and partly the fact that the invasion stuff was reminiscent to a point to some of the plot points of Tracker,a sci-fi show I still adore even though it only lasted a season in 2001--2 and had a teeny fan base. I could read up to the mid-20s between this library and the one closer to here where my card is actually from, and then I had to request via interlibrary loan because they apparently quit buying the books after that point. It's good that this area is networked with many other libraries in the area.

I got some of my own when they were weeded, and it eventually got to where the youth servicies girl put them aside for me automatically lol. Although by then I found a jackpot at a local used bookstore so I was able to send those copies to another fan.

I hate that the second half of the series is harder to find. And now the used bookstore closed, darnit. The lady at Bargain Books told me to keep calling to see if they had any every so often though. I'd order from ABE.com or Ebay but it's kinda hard to do so right now. I do watch the library donations and thrift shops and rummage sales though. Got a few that way.

I watched a few eps of the series on library VHS and more on YouTube, but I haven't finished yet.

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
Just curious. You see, some ppl learn though the tv show, or the books. I, for one, right now am only 13, so that would make me 3-4 when Animorphs was first known. My teacher, now, is about to retire, so you can imagine how many years had passed since she was teaching, so her whole book collection is about Animorphs. I just wondered if there was a tv show based on the books, so I googled it. My teacher doen't have all the books in teh sereies, and i googled some more and, well, here I am watching the whole tv series and I printed out the whole series of the e-books of this site. Waste of paper, but still worth the trouble. ;D

where in canada do you live and how did your teacher come across teh books? cuz if you live in the GTA, and she got the books from a garage sale, tell her i want them back :p

anyway when i was about 8 i was at camp and one of my friends was reading "the forgotten" and i asked him what it was. He explained what the book was about, and i thought it was cool, so i borrowed the book and loved it
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Alic

I was 12 or 13.. Saw the first two in the school library, thought it looked cool and here I am! I quit around book 30, you know, life. I was drawn back by some friends to come to this board(10 years after I got into them), and decided I had to finish the series. Spent 100 bucks on eBay for every book and reread every book (except alternamorphs because I don't like those) within 2 weeks. I'm a stronger fan than before.