Author Topic: Group Re-read: #35 The Proposal  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Re: Group Re-read: #35 The Proposal
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 01:27:33 PM »
Is it just me or does anyone else think Nora's a controller at this point too?

Nora is clean at this point. It mentions that hey watched her for three days. However, in a future book she is infested, if I remember correctly.

And I think that he best part of this book by far was the poobear joke.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 02:24:41 PM »
Yeah, she gets infested in book 45. Marco rescues his dad, but not Nora. Though if the Yeerks were going to take Nora in the middle of the night, I'm not sure why they felt like separating peter. They may have not thought about taking Nora until after they botched taking peter.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline rocklobster

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »
Yeah, she gets infested in book 45. Marco rescues his dad, but not Nora. Though if the Yeerks were going to take Nora in the middle of the night, I'm not sure why they felt like separating peter. They may have not thought about taking Nora until after they botched taking peter.
Oops, forgot that little detail.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »
6. Anything else?

I'm sure this seems like a stupid question, in fact I know it is but I have to ask.

KAA's use of pop cultures in the books was interesting, no doubt, but this was all before Arnold was a politician, Demi and Bruce were still together and Blue's Clues positively owned Nicked Jr.
But this book came out in I think 2000. So my question is; did anyone still give a flying *** about Hanson in 2000?
I remember them being talked about in 3rd grade, 98 or so, but honestly weren't they just another washed up pop thing by the time this book was out.
It just bothers me that they're in this book, it seems like the most random call out to real life in the series to me.
Yes, I know, stupid and too long, but still. Hanson???
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 05:09:45 PM »
wait... hanson is/was real? i thought it was a name KA made up...

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 07:22:50 PM »
Yeah, they were a real band. Three brothers with long hair that all the girls went crazy for. Hanson was their family name.

I don't think they were still popular by then... 'Cause I (sadly) used to listen to them, and they were pretty much forgotten by the time this book came out. And considering that I'm the type to continue to listen to a band/singer for quite some time after they're no longer popular (case in point, I still like the Spice Girls... shut up), the fact that even I didn't like them anymore by then says something.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 08:07:01 PM »
I think what the reference was to was that Marco told his dad in 45 that Nora was a Controller all along but says it was just to make him feel better, that he really doesn't think so. We know she was made one, we were just wondering when.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 09:49:03 AM »
I mentioned this in another thread on here, but since its relevant I'll mention it here as well.

There's a timing issue in this book. Theoretically several years have passed....at least one, if not two...since the beginning of the series. Here are the issues that arise:
1. Marco's dad still refers to Eva as being dead 2 years, meaning only a few months would have passed.

2. If the maximum amount of time had passed...lets say two years...and events started in 1996 that would make it roughly 1998, MAYBE early 1999.

3. Marco is said to be playing Playstation, which was not released until 2000.

4. The book itself was published in November of 1999.

So for anyone who is keeping track of the timeline of the series, there's a bit of a conundrum here....

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »

Actually, according to Wikipedia:
The PlayStation (abbreviated PS, PSone, PS1, or PSX due to its internal code name PlayStation eXperimental) is a 32-bit fifth generation video game console released by Sony Computer Entertainment in December 1994.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
I believe Terenia is thinking of the Playstation 2. That's what came out around 2000.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »

The PlayStation (abbreviated PS, PSone, PS1, or PSX due to its internal code name PlayStation eXperimental) is a 32-bit fifth generation video game console released by Sony Computer Entertainment in December 1994.

Huh. Nevermind then. The Wikipedia article I looked at said the PS1 was released in 2000, which I thought sounded odd, but who am I to judge the accuracy of the almighty wikipedia? We must have looked at different articles. I would bet the accuracy on yours, though.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 06:55:47 AM »
Wikipedia is an excellent source of information. Though it's not always accurate.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »
1. The main premise of this book is Marco's morphing mishaps. What do you think about his mixed morphs? Is it a plausible excuse for stress? Why do you think that none of the other Animorphs have been 'afflicted' yet? They're all under quite a bit of stress, after all...
Well, if we think about it, stress can hinder any thought process.
Much like with Rachel in #The Reaction, this story addresses the affects of emotion in the morphing process.
I'd like to ponder, whether Cassie, perhaps because she's so empathic, and always deals with the deep sentiments, whether this is the factor that makes her an estreen?!
And isn't it interesting how this story also has a plot involving discrediting a celebrity who is endorsing The Sharing (and it also ends in a the filming set), just like in The Reaction, as AniDragon also pointed out.

2. Do you think that the Animorphs approached discrediting William Roger Tennant in an effective way?
I think there was an attempt to make it as simple as possible on the Animorphs' part. A demorilization tactic was sound, to passively fight the enemy. But, all the attempts failed, until the third one, eventually.

3. What do you think about the added dilemma of Marco's father getting remarried.
I say it was about the right time for Marco's dad to move on. Pity, it had to be a Controller.
And surely enough, through Marco's book, the character gets a sense of emotional progress throughout the series. Don't forget, he's about to scrap the surface of breakthrough Z-Space tech.

4. What do you think about Cassie's attempts at helping Marco cope? What about Jake's very different tactic?
Marco was getting too bogged down. He's full of psychological defensive barriers, and Cassie was kind of unintentionally feeding this. Jake, however, was blended the fact that he was a leader and at the same time the one who knew Marco best, and was best suited to drag Marco out of it.

5. This book ends with Visser One/Eva calling Marco. Was this a good place in the series to have this happen, or should it have taken place in a more critical book??
See, this is where it gets somewhat ambiguious to me. It feels like this scene should have been added at the very end of #The Reunion. I kind of treat this book and #The Reunion as one. Almost as if the writer split the plot into two, to make fillers for Marco's narrations.
Nevertheless, the choice to end like this was a brilliant way to slip in the events of Visser. We can actually deduce what went through Marco and the other Anis right after he hangs up. Still... To have that call come in right after a wedding... KA really likes to push it, huh?!  ;D

6. Anything else?
Why the heck was this book subtitled The Proposal?! I can't make the link...

Out of all the Anis, why is that that Marco seemed to have it worst in terms of Controllers in this relations?! A mother who is a host to none other than the mighty V1; he almost dated a controller his age; and now he gets a 'step-mum' who is also the enemy-- Jeez!  ^-^

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 07:10:45 AM »
Proposing is what a man does when he asks a woman to marry him.

Nora didn't start out as a controller, and the Bethovan girl wasn't a controller either. If that's who you were thinking about.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 11:35:49 PM »
I'm surprised PS1 was around in '94. I know it was out before 2000 but I didn't think it was that many years.

I smile at Jake mentioning Sega in the earlier books...although I wonder if he just never moved onto the newer console or what. Genesis was out and then there was Sega CD and 32x that attached to the Genesis console.  And Dreamcast but maybe that's more recent.

Huh. Nevermind then. The Wikipedia article I looked at said the PS1 was released in 2000, which I thought sounded odd, but who am I to judge the accuracy of the almighty wikipedia? We must have looked at different articles. I would bet the accuracy on yours, though.