Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #32 The Separation  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: #32 The Separation
« on: June 13, 2009, 10:31:01 PM »
Summary
Rachel is falling apart. Literally. Her newest morph has the ability to regenerate its limbs, but when Rachel demorphs there's a lot more Rachel than when she started out. One more Rachel, to be exact. Rachel is an okay person to have around. But two could be considered overkill. Especially two Rachels with completely opposite personalities: one is pathetically weak; one is super strong and super nasty. Now the Animorphs have to figure out a way to put Rachel back together again. Because if it's up to the "twins," Rachel the weak will surrender to Visser Three. Rachel the super bold will try to single-handedly take him down. And twice the trouble may be twice as much as the other Animorphs and Ax can handle....

Questions
1. How do you think KA handled the two halves of Rachel? You have a Nice Rachel with a sense of duty, no short-term memory and absolutely no courage, and you have a Mean Rachel who has no long-term planning ability and is basically bloodthirsty and insane. Do you think that it was a good representation of the true Rachel? What would you have changed?

2. Obviously the mechanics behind this book are a bit...off. But for any of you Ani-science geeks out there who like to figure out how stuff works the way it does: why do you think that the morphing technology allowed for the possibilities of two Rachel's? And why do you think that it split her into two separate personalities?

3. The Animorphs can't stand either Mean or Nice Rachel, but they obviously like/love normal Rachel. How much of Rachel's personality shows through as Mean Rachel, and how much as Nice Rachel?

4. Just for fun: if you were split into two halves,severing your personality into its two extremes, what would they be like?

5. Anything else? Questions? Comments? Favorite quotes?

Next week: #33 The Illusion

Note: Sorry about the suckiness of this weeks re-read. As I mentioned when we did #31, I'm going to be on the road a bit. I'll be getting married in about a month, and it requires a bit of time. I'll continue to try and get a new re-read up each week, but if I am a tad late that's why. I'll try to let you guys know if I'll be late in posting. Sorry once again!

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline filmstu2005

Re: Group Re-Read: #32 The Separation
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 02:00:57 AM »
Married? Congratulations! Interesting...we're grown folks here still reading and reminiscing about ANimorphs. I love it. I dont feel so alone anymore....

Anyway, I liked this book, b/c it gave us some insight into rachel's character. Make no mistake, Nice Rachel was just as much real Rachel as Mean Rachel was. Rachel wasnt entirely some bloodthirsty insane killer. The uber-nice part of her kept that dark nature of hers in check. Its interesting how the splitting of the starfish caused that situation to arise though...hmm...

While the book was very insightful into Rachel's personal storyline, it was a filler book in the overall story. It didnt move the plot along, which was the anti-morphing ray, I think?

If I could be split into 2, I'td be Take-everything SuperSeriously Andy, and Carefree-I don't give a flying F*** Andy. Literally. I'm a very serious person and its hard to break free from that and loosen up. I'm not a mean guy at all though..something Rachel n I have nothing in common. I can't be an **** even when I want to lol.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:01:56 AM »
i always thought this book was a bit of a gimmick.
however, it definitely was critical, further explaining rachel's personality.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:17:39 AM »
Married? Congratulations! Interesting...we're grown folks here still reading and reminiscing about ANimorphs. I love it. I dont feel so alone anymore....

Thanks. :)

I think if I was split in two it would be a little similar to Rachel's split, but not nearly as intense. On the one side you would have uber shy, hates confrontation, needs to make everybody happy Jessi. On the other side you would have aggressive, sarcastic, smart-a**, doesn't take any sh*t Jessi.

hehe. I think I'm glad that there's a balance...

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:01:14 AM »
Congratulations, definately.

1. How do you think KA handled the two halves of Rachel? You have a Nice Rachel with a sense of duty, no short-term memory and absolutely no courage, and you have a Mean Rachel who has no long-term planning ability and is basically bloodthirsty and insane. Do you think that it was a good representation of the true Rachel? What would you have changed?

I don't know what I would have changed and I wouldn't exactly say that K.A. handled this poorly, but this was not one of my favorite concepts at all, though the whole book was almost worth it just for Marco's line about how now there's a Rachel for Tobias and one for him too so I guess I wouldn't have changed anything . . . actually I might have made nice Racel less of a ditz, ditz is a very miniscule almost nonexistant part of Rachel's personality, not strong enough to manifest as strongly as it did in Nice Rachel.

2. Obviously the mechanics behind this book are a bit...off. But for any of you Ani-science geeks out there who like to figure out how stuff works the way it does: why do you think that the morphing technology allowed for the possibilities of two Rachel's? And why do you think that it split her into two separate personalities?
Rachel's brain was still in Zero Space, the first Rahcel to morph should have gotten everything, mean and nice sides, the second, assumi tere was enough of it left to morph, should have morphed a perfect rather than so terribly flawed clone of Rachel, or else just been a star fish without any concious mind because Rachel's would have gone with her body. However that's less fun than thinking of a nonsense way for this to work so . . .
Andalite scientists wanted to be able to clone warriors on the battlefield to make up for losses and help overwhelm the enemy so they put in a mechanic to allow a morph to spawn a second andalite if a portion of it was cut away but still capable of thinking and demorphing, but they never got it right and kept getting groups of warriors who made suicidal charges and a second group of warriors who just ran away screaming with the whole "step one, evade the cannons, step two ? ? ? ? step three, victory!" mentality.
The suicidal group might have known the second step but none of them were surviving to tell, so the Andalite scientists begrudgingly developed a proceedure to reverse the process.

3. The Animorphs can't stand either Mean or Nice Rachel, but they obviously like/love normal Rachel. How much of Rachel's personality shows through as Mean Rachel, and how much as Nice Rachel?
This is tricky since as I said Nice Rachel struck me as kind of a ditz and normal Rachel doesnt, but mean Rachel was little more than a charicachur, a kid pretending to be Rachel for halloween, I can totally see why the Animorphs wouldn't like either one of them.

4. Just for fun: if you were split into two halves,severing your personality into its two extremes, what would they be like?
I'd have one part of me who played Horde, and one part who played Alliance, also I'd keep working at my hateful job only now I'd make twice as much money  ;D

Like I said, Marco's line about him and Tobias both getting their own Rachel was priceless, as was Mean Rachel's reaction to it
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:02:50 AM by JFalcon »
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
I didn't really like this book much, since it just seemed so... wonky. Canon was bent (Really? Erek electrocuting her?), it was very gimmicky (though often suggested by readers, so I guess it was just KAA giving in), and overall just not that interesting. Lots of insight into Rachel's mind, but not enough to make me like the book.

The only part I did like was at the end, when Rachel's back to being one person, and looks up at Tobias. When she realizes that he has to struggle with the two parts of himself, too, and he says something like <Yeah, alright, let's go (flying?). The two of me, and the two of you.>
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 06:59:25 PM »
Yeah, electrocution should be one of those things Erek can't do. Or let someone else do when he's around.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 01:47:19 AM »
The plot wasn’t a bad one.
It’s not exactly original, yes, but it was a good device to give us a bit more depth to Rachel’s character. The split personality, along with the two identical bodies is illustrative to what’s been happening inside the character.
It may not be her best book, but I liked it because, here both the readers and the other Ani-characters get to psycho-analyze her. Thus far, the others have this sense that Rachel is this bold warrior, who even Cryak seems to be taking some sort of an interest in lately. As readers, we know better, because of the way she started. Rachel's early books portrayed a more easygoing carefree friendly young girl, who's fighting for her friends and family (think of scenes like her getting padded by Melissa Chapman, her nurturing her sisters with the Saddler incident, dragging Cassie around the mall, etc...). We don't get that anymore at this stage of the series.

But Rachel is not different from the others in her conflicts, in her struggling inner contradictions since this war. And I think this book succeeds in showing that.
This book also points to what is going to happen to her ahead.

I didn't really like this book much, since it just seemed so... wonky. Canon was bent (Really? Erek electrocuting her?), it was very gimmicky (though often suggested by readers, so I guess it was just KAA giving in), and overall just not that interesting. Lots of insight into Rachel's mind, but not enough to make me like the book....
But I would go with ‘wonky’ to describe the way it Rachel was written, too. But it’s not as bad as how she’ll be written in #37: The Weakness.

Yet again Rachel is the one who wades into some morphing issue. From her morphing allergy to crocs, to this one.

To me, it was predictable to be given these two good and bad halves of Rachel. The reason I say good and bad, is b/c 'nice-Rachel' seemed to get all the 'nice' aspects of Rachel. In the beginning you like her and feel sorry for her, then you just get annoyed with this ditsy portrayal of her. "Like, like, like…" Arrrrrgh!!!!
And THEN you learn of this business of Rachel to devotion to duty (?!?!?!).
Short-spanned-Aggressive Rachel got tagged Mean Rachel, who acted like a bold and ignorant human-bomb. Who as bad and confronting as she was, we learn that she was the one who kept protected and dealt with the changes they were faced in the war.

I liked the indepth predictability. But personally, I would have made 'nice-Rachel' more of a 'conventional-Rachel' than the ditsy blonde stereotype, b/c, indeed, as I think JFalcon stated, Rachel was NEVER portrayed that way. And 'mean-Rachel', I would have made her more of a 'bold-Rachel'; a Rachel that, yes, was still aggressive and battle-gungho, but not the ignorant-bloodthirsty way she was portrayed. Rachel NEVER came across as an ignorant bully throughout the series, really.

The electric-energy-acquiring-combining solution seemed a bit ‘slack’ way to end for me, too. But mostly because of the inconsistency with the Chee’s stepback-programming.
This book was Ghost-written, right?!

Rachel's brain was still in Zero Space, the first Rahcel to morph should have gotten everything, mean and nice sides, the second, assumi tere was enough of it left to morph, should have morphed a perfect rather than so terribly flawed clone of Rachel, or else just been a star fish without any concious mind because Rachel's would have gone with her body. However that's less fun than thinking of a nonsense way for this to work so . . .
Andalite scientists wanted to be able to clone warriors on the battlefield to make up for losses and help overwhelm the enemy so they put in a mechanic to allow a morph to spawn a second andalite if a portion of it was cut away but still capable of thinking and demorphing, but they never got it right and kept getting groups of warriors who made suicidal charges and a second group of warriors who just ran away screaming with the whole "step one, evade the cannons, step two ? ? ? ? step three, victory!" mentality.
The suicidal group might have known the second step but none of them were surviving to tell, so the Andalite scientists begrudgingly developed a proceedure to reverse the process...
Huahauhauahuahuahuahauhauh!!!! :D
JFalcon, you got the mind for this, mate!

I think human beings are too complex to be split into ‘clichéd’ (to call it that) personas. The parts of me that are struggling at the moment are indecisions-fear-of-future-uncertainties X safety-in-the-past-resist-change… But that doesn’t really sound like it embodies two parts of my person.
I rather ponder on what type of personas the other Anis would get under the same incident.

I really liked the scene with that big girl bullying ‘nice’ Rachel, and getting owned by the ‘mean’ Rachel. Two interesting things happening there. On one hand it says that Rachel is as susceptible to push a shove as much as any others her age, and that she's always counted on her ‘mean’ streak to be the resistant and tough person she is. But detrimentally, if I recall, mean-Rachel actually liked the bully girl in a way. Which says something about this particular aggressive nature of Rachel.

On a different note, this book can also be considered to be a prelude to the next one, due to the imminent threat of the Anti-Morphing ray prototype.
Visser Three’s people seemed to once again come up with an ingenious plan to take down the ‘bandits’. My question is, if Jake and the split-Rachels didn’t get the right truck/van, why didn’t the others who followed the other two vehicles?!

PS: And if I can join the 'congratulations' bandwagon: CONGRATS, TERENIA!!!

Offline rocklobster

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »
Summary
Rachel is falling apart. Literally. Her newest morph has the ability to regenerate its limbs, but when Rachel demorphs there's a lot more Rachel than when she started out. One more Rachel, to be exact. Rachel is an okay person to have around. But two could be considered overkill. Especially two Rachels with completely opposite personalities: one is pathetically weak; one is super strong and super nasty. Now the Animorphs have to figure out a way to put Rachel back together again. Because if it's up to the "twins," Rachel the weak will surrender to Visser Three. Rachel the super bold will try to single-handedly take him down. And twice the trouble may be twice as much as the other Animorphs and Ax can handle....

Questions

Next week: #33 The Illusion

Note: Sorry about the suckiness of this weeks re-read. As I mentioned when we did #31, I'm going to be on the road a bit. I'll be getting married in about a month, and it requires a bit of time. I'll continue to try and get a new re-read up each week, but if I am a tad late that's why. I'll try to let you guys know if I'll be late in posting. Sorry once again!
1. I have to ask.  When the lizard morph got its tail cut off, why weren't there two Jakes?  I mean starfish aren't the only ones with regenerative capabilities.  So are lizards.
2.  I think it was handled well.  I like how fearful Rachel's nice side was.  It made sense.
3.  I think it's interesting how Nice Rachel seemed to be the only thing holding Mean Rachel back.  I think this was the best Rachel book I've read so far.
4. I have a side similar to Marco and a side that tries to get people to like me.  That might be what you'd get
5.  The part where the Rachels realize how much they need each other was well done.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »
Show me a Lizard that grew out from its severed tail. The lizard can regrow its tail, but the tail does not regrow a body.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline rocklobster

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »
Oh, right Chad.  It's a completely different set of powers.  My bad.  Stupid moment. :cassie: :jake:

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
If a starfish is split in two, do they actually regenerate into two new starfish?

In theory, then....lets assume that both Rachel's remorph starfish and get split in half. Then they do it again...and again....

You'd have an entire army of Rachel's!!!!

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 06:33:28 PM »
If a starfish is split in two, do they actually regenerate into two new starfish?

In theory, then....lets assume that both Rachel's remorph starfish and get split in half. Then they do it again...and again....

Oh dear God, spare us the memory. Wait, we already read about that, the Helmacrons, remember? :) As Marco said "It's a whole crazy race of Rachels!"

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 11:47:13 PM »

Oh dear God, spare us the memory. Wait, we already read about that, the Helmacrons, remember? :) As Marco said "It's a whole crazy race of Rachels!"
well it wouldn't be completely the same since they would all have a different personality, and if rachel's personality was split into an army, well we'd have some rachels with weird personalities...