Author Topic: Is Tobias autistic?  (Read 8299 times)

Mira

Re: Is Tobias autistic?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
(I also wanted to add, I hope this wasn't in reference to my comment. My comment was mean to be an attempt to inform, and hopefully stop people from assuming that anyone who's social awkward has autism. This isn't true, and makes people less likely to accept and understand those who truly do have it - Kind of like what Chad28 was explaining.)

It wasn't, and you are right, people really need to know more about this.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »
Wouldn't his knowledge of dinosaurs count as a very specified interest commonly seen in children with aspergers or autistic spectrum disorder?

I don't think it would really qualify as a restricted interest, seeing as he only mentioned it in MM#2.  If he was doing it all the time, then yeah.
I mean, I know lots of useless facts about various topics other than dinosaurs...

It might be akin to people saying so many children have ADD or ADHD, when a generation or two ago people would just say they're just being children.

This!  I hate how everything has to be a ~*disease*~ now.
No, your kid isn't sick, he's just a brat.
:/

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 12:14:32 AM »
who voted tobias being slightly autistic?

who voted tobias being slightly autistic?

I did.

I voted for that because... I am slightly autistic. I got the diagnose autism only some years ago (Unfortunately I was too normal and too intelligent so it took many years before anyone even noticed that something was wrong) Anyway, I think its quite possible that Tobias have something in that way, he seems normal and intelligent too. What convinced me about this is that Jake said he use to look at the sky and dream, actually everything Tobias did in the first book proves this, I don't think I had done one thing different...

I just want to say one more thing. Autism is NOT bad, your brain just works in another direction but still you get the same answer (at least for those people who you can't tell have it if you don't know). I have even heard a hearsay that Einstein had something. Then it can't be something to be ashamed of?

Very well said. And wow, I'm exactly the same as what you've said. Only diagnosed a few years ago, smart and too normal to set off any alarms earlier. Although I do have the social awkwardness problem. It's wierd, I find online interaction easier than face to face. Eye contact feels uncomfortable.

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2009, 12:26:04 AM »
This!  I hate how everything has to be a ~*disease*~ now.
No, your kid isn't sick, he's just a brat.
:/

Amen to this as well. You wouldn't BELEIVE some of the kids I've had referred at school for special education services.

Seriously people, if you'd just spend a little time with your kids, and make them do their fricken' homework we wouldn't be having these problems. Your kids are sucking services and funding away from the students who really do need help. Stop wasting my time, and messing with your child's head.

Autism is not a designer label. ADD/ADHD are not designer labels. Childhood Bi-Polar/Depression are not designer labels. They're all serious disorders that do affect people, and by taking them so lightly, you're totally screwing with the ability of professionals to accurately diagnose and treat these problems.

Blah.

*steps off of soapbox again*

Mira

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 07:58:43 AM »
I have thought about this for a while... I know I will not be very popular after this but...

If anyone of the animorphs were autistic, its not Tobias. Its Rachel.
I have allready admitted that I am slightly autistic myself. There is more, I can't be afraid if its not a very prolonged danger or a phobia. And the prolonged danger have to be very long. I wouldn't get time think I should escape if a tiger entered the room for example. And shopping would count as her special interest (in that case).

And about lack of social skills... I have two autistic friends who are exactly the opposite... (Which more exactely means... have too much social skills... they can be quite annoying)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 08:45:49 AM »
I must have a really low understanding of what autism is, if anyone starts talking about Rachel being autistic. I thought autism was a disorder where a person has little to no ability to socialize at all, though they can be creative if their mind is focused on one thing. Which is why a 1 year old with autism can make a tower of blocks with excellent symmetry and color coordination. But he or she won't show any facial expression or respond to speech.

Ani-Master 2014!

Mira

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 09:32:47 AM »
Every on in the world... have a very low understanding of what autism is.

By the way. Cassie seems a little autistic too. Animals are the most common special interest... if you don't count timetables...

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »
That's three now. The Autisticmorphs...

I really don't understand autism, but reading these posts saying Tobias, Rachel and Cassie could be autistic doesn't help me understand it. Or make any sense.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »
The way I interpret it, the core issue is often hypersensitivity to external stimulation. Those of us with only mild forms only have trouble with things like social skills but more severe forms are are so problematic because the person can't process and make sense of the sights, sounds, smells, ect, their brain is recieving from the world around them. My brain only overloads when there are too many facts at once, like math, or I'm trying to remember a bunch of things at once. It often seems like I can't remember common sense things.

I hope I at least came close to being right there. That's how I've heard it described even though I don't feel that way, probably because I'm only mild.

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 12:32:37 PM »
Asuburger's= someone who has been diagnosed by A quantified Doctor to have the disorder.

Aspie= a person who self-diagnosed him/her self and uses it as an excuse to act like a a-hole on the internet.

now, seeing as that we lack a doctor in the house who can actually study the characters, i don't think that this issue will get resolved anytime soon..
Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 11:36:08 PM »
now, seeing as that we lack a doctor in the house who can actually study the characters, i don't think that this issue will get resolved anytime soon..

Agreed.

But I did want to add onto the thoughts about Rachel and Cassie...both of them have good social skills. They aren't hyper/hyposensitive to external stimulation. They both communicate effectively and efficiently. I wouldn't think either of them would fall anywhere on the spectrum. I think that everyone is grasping at straws here, but it makes for good conversation.

Autism is something that is hard to understand. It's nice to know adults who are able to explain more about it.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 11:43:44 PM »
Autism is a spectrum. Some people have it bad and can't function, other people appear normal and you might not notice anything.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 12:27:15 AM »
Asuburger's= someone who has been diagnosed by A quantified Doctor to have the disorder.

Aspie= a person who self-diagnosed him/her self and uses it as an excuse to act like a a-hole on the internet.
Not necessarily true. I know plenty of people who are diagnosed with Asperger's and refer to themselves as Aspie's.

As for the question at hand, I don't think that any of the Animorphs displayed signs of autism. Tobias certainly comes closest, but I'm fairly certain that his societal disconnect was more of a result of his environment than anything else. He comes from an emotionally abusive household, and he is bullied by kids his age. Obviously that would limit social skills.

When I was 13 I was very much like Tobias. I was shy and had difficulty connecting with people. I always seemed to say the wrong thing and, more often than not, was a target for bullies. That doesn't mean that I have autism, it's just a matter of circumstance.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »
I think Tobias seems slightly autistic at times.  Even before he became an animorph, he was quite withdrawn and he's not very good at fitting in.  Plus in #23, he admits he's no good at facial expressions, a typical autistic trait.

I would say he isn't.  He was the "loner" type, and even I'm quiet and withdrawn most of the time (or I was at his age XD Bit more outspoken now, admittedly, but I still see myself as totally antisocial).  As far as the facial expressions go, I believe he said that was a product of being a nothlit - and it fits.  If you're not used to using those muscles, you won't always remember how to.  Like Ax has a problem speaking with a human mouth.  If you're not in human form for a while, you...sort of forget how to be human.
Not all who wander are lost

Offline AlothAssassin

• Banned
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
I think Tobias seems slightly autistic at times.  Even before he became an animorph, he was quite withdrawn and he's not very good at fitting in.  Plus in #23, he admits he's no good at facial expressions, a typical autistic trait.

Straws.
"Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue, Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn børk! børk! børk!" - The Swedish Chef.

“He is very wise man and very strong - although perhaps not so strong as his father Barbara.  Tough guy!" - Borat, on President Bush.