Author Topic: Is Tobias autistic?  (Read 8319 times)

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
Re: Is Tobias autistic?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »
Autism is a neurobiological disorder that is first manifested in children under the age of three. It is a life-long disability that is often characterized by repetitive movements, perseveration, communication impairments and lack of social skills. I'm going to assume that you're referring to either high functioning autism or Asperger's disorder when you ask this question in regards to Tobias. That being assumed, the primary deficits or characteristic of Aspergers are a lack of appropriate social communication due to to an inability to understand social language, thinking and various other aspects of social communication. At times, EVERYONE exhibits one or more of these characteristics. However, that does not make us autistic. Tobias is socially awkward and is lacking friends, but if you look at the environment in which he was raised i think that these problems are self-explanatory.

That being said, as a professional qualified to give an educational diagnoses of autism, I would definitely agree that "no, Tobias does not have autism." *steps off of soapbox*
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:21:36 PM by Faerie is SO awesome! »

Offline ANItiger13

• ....Yay....
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to the basics
    • Ken/UMP's YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »
Autism is a neurobiological disorder that is first manifested in children under the age of three. It is a life-long disability that is often characterized by repetitive movements, perseveration, communication impairments and lack of social skills. I'm going to assume that you're refering to either high functioning autism or Asperger's disorder when you ask this question in regards to Tobias. That being assumed, the primar deficits or characteristic of Aspergers are a lack of appropriate social comminicatiom due to to an inability to understand social language, thinking and various other aspects of social communication. At times, EVERYONE exhibits one or more of these characterstics. However, that does not make us autistic. Tobias is socialy awkard and is lacking friends, but if you look at the environment in which he was raised i think that these problems are self explanitory.
That being said, as a professional qualifiesd to give an wducational diagnoses of autism, I would definitely agree that "no, Tobias does not have autism." *steps off of soapbox*

Show off. :P
There's a method to my madness, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 01:12:15 PM »
Thanks Kenny. >:) That'swhat happens when you dedicate 50+ hours a week to teachin and soing behavioral therapy with kids with autism. I typed that from my phone so I'll have to fix all of the typos when I get home.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 01:19:05 PM »
It's good to have a professional opinion on things from time to time. I think a better question would be whether his angst/wangst is justified or not. Sometimes characters really do have good reason to angst, but since no one likes to hear too much complaining at one time, they'll start disliking a character for it anyway.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »
problem is, what's "complaining" to one person, goes practically unnoticed by another person...

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »
Jess you totally did that to show off LOL i bet you were waiting for a thread like this to show up
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 03:05:40 PM »
who voted tobias being slightly autistic?

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 03:31:10 PM »
Autism is a neurobiological disorder that is first manifested in children under the age of three. It is a life-long disability that is often characterized by repetitive movements, perseveration, communication impairments and lack of social skills. I'm going to assume that you're refering to either high functioning autism or Asperger's disorder when you ask this question in regards to Tobias. That being assumed, the primar deficits or characteristic of Aspergers are a lack of appropriate social comminicatiom due to to an inability to understand social language, thinking and various other aspects of social communication. At times, EVERYONE exhibits one or more of these characterstics. However, that does not make us autistic. Tobias is socialy awkard and is lacking friends, but if you look at the environment in which he was raised i think that these problems are self explanitory.
That being said, as a professional qualifiesd to give an wducational diagnoses of autism, I would definitely agree that "no, Tobias does not have autism." *steps off of soapbox*

Ugh, thank you.

How much of an idiot do you have to be to assume that someone is autistic just because they're socially awkward and how is that not offensive to people who unfortunately do have that disabilitiy?

Wow.

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »
Jess you totally did that to show off LOL i bet you were waiting for a thread like this to show up

No. I did that to hopefully de-rail a stereotype that someone has about autism.

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 05:04:33 PM »

No. I did that to hopefully de-rail a stereotype that someone has about autism.

Hear, hear.

Sorry, I'm not sure if anyone meant to offend anyone else, but being socially awkward or lacking facial expressions (*cough* hawk morph)  doesn't equal autism.  Jess nailed it, because she's awesome and does this sort of thing for a living.  My sister is special needs and a lot of her friends are autistic.  Not to mention some of my own friends.  Honestly, sometimes I feel more socially awkward than most of them!

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline wolfev

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 06:14:51 PM »
Wouldn't his knowledge of dinosaurs count as a very specified interest commonly seen in children with aspergers or autistic spectrum disorder? Yes his home life is a factor. Really we don't see enough of him as a human to say he is autistic or not. Once he is trapped it makes things hard to figure out. I forget if he is described as withdrawn from school or not.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Mira

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »

I did.

I voted for that because... I am slightly autistic. I got the diagnose autism only some years ago (Unfortunately I was too normal and too intelligent so it took many years before anyone even noticed that something was wrong) Anyway, I think its quite possible that Tobias have something in that way, he seems normal and intelligent too. What convinced me about this is that Jake said he use to look at the sky and dream, actually everything Tobias did in the first book proves this, I don't think I had done one thing different...

I just want to say one more thing. Autism is NOT bad, your brain just works in another direction but still you get the same answer (at least for those people who you can't tell have it if you don't know). I have even heard a hearsay that Einstein had something. Then it can't be something to be ashamed of?

Offline Galladerotom

• Analysist, Paranoid, Trekie, and Psychic
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »
Tobias is not autistic just introverted and depressed to the crapy conditions he was raised in.
Trust me I actually have friends who are autistic and am slightly autistic myself.
We must extract the truth from this unbeliever on pain of torture! Get...THE COMFY CHAIR!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »

Ugh, thank you.

How much of an idiot do you have to be to assume that someone is autistic just because they're socially awkward and how is that not offensive to people who unfortunately do have that disabilitiy?

Wow.

It might be akin to people saying so many children have ADD or ADHD, when a generation or two ago people would just say they're just being children.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 07:15:52 AM »
I just want to say one more thing. Autism is NOT bad, your brain just works in another direction but still you get the same answer (at least for those people who you can't tell have it if you don't know). I have even heard a hearsay that Einstein had something. Then it can't be something to be ashamed of?

I absolutely agree with this comment.

(I also wanted to add, I hope this wasn't in reference to my comment. My comment was mean to be an attempt to inform, and hopefully stop people from assuming that anyone who's social awkward has autism. This isn't true, and makes people less likely to accept and understand those who truly do have it - Kind of like what Chad28 was explaining.)