Author Topic: Morpher's Offspring  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Damien

• Natural law is overrated
Morpher's Offspring
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:14:52 PM »
Ok this thought has also been begging me for a while. From what we know that the animals a morpher acquires is stored somewhere in their DNA (That is how the yeerks found the animorphs) Now that would pose a problem wouldn't it? Since their DNA is altered now what if the said morpher had kids? Because half the DNA form two different people equals one offspring. Here are some troublesome scenarios...

Morpher x Non-morpher - the morpher would have technical more DNA than the non-morpher, wouldn't some problems occur here, like a twisted form of down syndrome?
Morpher x Morpher - Now they can both morph and both have more DNA in there systems than they should have naturally, wouldn't this cause problems, one person could have morphs than the others and even if they had the same amount of morphs they could be from different species. That and if they even had the same number of morphs, and they are the same species wouldn't that still cause genetic defects in their children?

Could people inherit morphing from their parents same as hair and eye color, or could they be born with never seen before deformities?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:16:44 PM by Damien »
That'sssss a very nice possssst you have there... It'd be a sssshame if something happened to it...

If you get the reference above you will get a cookie, an imaginary cookie, but a cookie none-the-less!

Offline anijen21

Re: Morpher's Offspring
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:28:20 PM »
you're assuming that the DNA acquired in morphs is automatically stored in the gametes, which certainly could not be the case for females (at least humans)--girls are born with all the eggs that they'll ever need. They're produced in the womb. Males, on the other hand, do continually produce sperm, but I think it's kind of a leap to assume that the acquired DNA would somehow find its way into the sperm during the process of meiosis.

Additionally, I remember from a really long time ago in an FAQ with KA Applegate, she answered the question of whether offspring would inherit the morphing ability, and she said no. I only remember because for some reason I just assumed all Andalites could morph, which isn't right. That's like saying your kids will know how to type or drive a car just because you learned at some point during your life. LAMARCK WAS WRONG.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »
definitely not.

Offline Brad the Brit

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Cuz Im British.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:41:45 PM »
errr probably not. otherwize why would they have the cube. and they have had it for a while. if there where genetic defaluts hey would have shown up by the time of the series. or at least mentiond.

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »
I don't think that is possible . i mean if that was true and they r DNA was changed  they would become deformed as well i think teh DNA is encapsulated withing their own DNA causing it not to affect the original DNA.
So it wont be passed down to their offspring.
Its posible the same reason Nothlits exist when they use a particular morph they release the DNA from teh capsule but if they use it to long it takes over completely that is what must take 2 hours to happen they have to force it back into the capsule.
so with that in mind i think it has no possibility of spreading to the child of a morpher

===============================================

Offline Starsword

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »
Well, since a human can't breed with non humans, wouldn't the DNA just kind of die and a normal child be produced.
Until then we fight.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:28:56 AM »
The Andalites wouldn't use the technology if it caused genetic defects in their children, and it's highly unlikely that morphing would be passed on to a morpher's offspring. Of course, we can't know for sure unless we knew exactly how morphing worked.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »
you're assuming that the DNA acquired in morphs is automatically stored in the gametes, which certainly could not be the case for females (at least humans)--girls are born with all the eggs that they'll ever need. They're produced in the womb. Males, on the other hand, do continually produce sperm, but I think it's kind of a leap to assume that the acquired DNA would somehow find its way into the sperm during the process of meiosis.

Additionally, I remember from a really long time ago in an FAQ with KA Applegate, she answered the question of whether offspring would inherit the morphing ability, and she said no. I only remember because for some reason I just assumed all Andalites could morph, which isn't right. That's like saying your kids will know how to type or drive a car just because you learned at some point during your life. LAMARCK WAS WRONG.

Listen to the girl. She knows what she's talking about.

+1

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 05:25:21 PM »
Ok this thought has also been begging me for a while. From what we know that the animals a morpher acquires is stored somewhere in their DNA (That is how the yeerks found the animorphs) Now that would pose a problem wouldn't it? Since their DNA is altered now what if the said morpher had kids? Because half the DNA form two different people equals one offspring. Here are some troublesome scenarios...

Morpher x Non-morpher - the morpher would have technical more DNA than the non-morpher, wouldn't some problems occur here, like a twisted form of down syndrome?
Morpher x Morpher - Now they can both morph and both have more DNA in there systems than they should have naturally, wouldn't this cause problems, one person could have morphs than the others and even if they had the same amount of morphs they could be from different species. That and if they even had the same number of morphs, and they are the same species wouldn't that still cause genetic defects in their children?

Could people inherit morphing from their parents same as hair and eye color, or could they be born with never seen before deformities?

I think it's sort of like..."active" and "inactive" DNA.  I mean you have the code in your body for traits that your parents had, but that might not present in you, but it'll show up in YOUR children.  And when you're not in morph, the animal DNA is sort of in storage, and it's in a completely different set and completely different coding language than yours.  So if you can't mate with it and produce offspring, even if you have it in your system, it wouldn't match up with your human dna I would think, and if you had a child, the human DNA would probably overrule the other stuff, and the body would reject any animal/morph dna there is from your side.  Like if you have a heart transplant, you have to be on medication so that your body doesn't attack the heart - even with other human parts, our bodies reject nearly everything, naturally. 

But, basically, since the animal dna can't go through the meiosis that human stuff goes through when a successful reproduction occurs, there's nothing in the other person's body that can activate the animal dna to replicate like our human dna does.

Since Andalites don't inherit the morphing ability, I wouldn't think that any other creatures would that were capable of it.  It's a technology, and not inherant in our genetic code, even though it can affect what we look like.  But the evolutionary basis for it isn't there.  I figure it's sort of an add-on to the cells, but it's not in our coding.

If any of that makes sense, I'll be surprised, because I have a massive head-cold and I'm not making sense right now.
Not all who wander are lost

Offline musicman88

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
If I had to ponder a guess I'd say that the Andalites designed the morphing technology not to interfere with their reproductive cells for obvious reasons.  And since everything else seems to work fine with humans I see no reason this wouldn't as well.
YOU'RE WINNER !