Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #27 The Exposed  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: #27 The Exposed
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »
Summary
The Animorphs and Ax have one true ally in their battle against the Yeerks: the Chee. So, when they discover that the Chee - including their friend, Erek - are in trouble, they have no choice but to help.
But the Chee's problem is much deeper than anything the kids could have imagined. It's hidden in the ocean. So far down that no human has ever traveled there - and survived. And the Animorphs realize what will happen if Visser Three discovers the valuable secrets of the Chee. One of which is the Animorphs...

Questions
1) Why do you think that Drode used the Chee as a way to get to the Animorphs? Wouldn't it have been just as simple for Drode to appear at any old battle where they were in too deep?

2) What do you think about Drode/Crayak's interest in Rachel?

3) How do you feel about Rachel's development as a character at this part in the series?

4) What do you think about the character of Drode?

5) Anything else? :)

Next week: #28 The Experiment

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Gafrash

Re: Group Re-Read: #27 The Exposed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:26:56 PM »
1) Why do you think that Drode used the Chee as a way to get to the Animorphs? Wouldn't it have been just as simple for Drode to appear at any old battle where they were in too deep?
It felt like the Chee needed more participation. The Drode was smart to bring in the fact that somewhere on Earth lied a hidden Pemalite ship, which none of us readers accounted for.
It was a good sneaky way to introduce a powerful new character and re-address the stakes of The game the Ellimist and The Cryak play.

2) What do you think about Drode/Crayak's interest in Rachel?
It is a nice plot to emphasize Rachel's 'dark side' growing significantly enough for the big bad guys wanting to exploit. It was interesting that even after the Drode realizes his defeat, he places a back up plan to kill Jake on Rachel. Tantalizing her 'dark side' with delusions of freedom and leadership once Jake is gone.
In a way, it's a good thing that she goes through the experience of leadership weight once Jake is gone later on in The Weakness. I believe that story helps her not to give in to this even further down the track in The Return.

3) How do you feel about Rachel's development as a character at this part in the series?
This was actually one of the good books in which I didn't mind how KA or the Ghostwriters or whatever approached this depth of the character. It is here we get a significant meaning to what the others say about 'Rachel scaring them' and all.
But I find this book also shows Rachel's determination and instinct for protection at a new level.
I am talking about the crackdown mission to rescue Lourdes. There was a point where Cassie was seemingly shot-dead, Marco was injured, and Jake was out of the picture outside. Even with Tobias/hawk and Ax/skunk helping Jake outside, SHE did what she had to do to get the others out of there. Completely oblivious to the fact that she was passing out, until eventually, she did...
And also, how bad she felt for the beached whale, realizing that the whale had been a pawn in the game, just like her.
All these things show a more than just the dark bloodthirsty nature to Rachel.
Personally, from this point on in the series, it gets a bit slack in terms of Rachel for me.

4) What do you think about the character of Drode?
The Drode really came off as a comical maniac, which I think was the intention.
Nicely done, with lines like "Ooohhh Jaaaaake?!?! Are you dead yet?!" during the middle of the battle.
Supposedly, he seems to be able to do whatever Cryak can, he may be his field leader or something. Whenever Cryak wants to make his move, and doesn't want to do it himself, it would be the Drode who seems to do it in his place.

5) Anything else? :)
The Sperm whale Vs Giant squid sequence felt a bit forced and somewhat dull.

And I think Rachel could have very easily gone for the T.J. or C.J. dude earlier in the book. Why the heck not?! Tobias himself called the kid cute. The dude simply wasn't manning up to Rachel.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 07:31:04 AM »
The Drode creeped me out when I first read this book. Actually, he still kinda creeps me out. He's one creepy mo-fo.

I loved the Pemalite ship in this book. It was so rediculous but awesome at the same time, and really showed how the Pemalites and Chee were back when everything was still peacefull on their home world. And of course, their single-digit password. XD And then when the computer politely told then to GTFO.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »
For the most part I classify this book as cute.
Stuck robots, bill clinton (or was it nixon?), Snoopy boats that throw you out for being a jerk.

But the Rachel-Drode thing kept it interesting.
Drode was awesome; like the devils chef minon; always wish the Ellimist had on of those too.
But he comes up and says he can pick something out of Rachel, that at this point she is aware of as well.
She still has rationale, even if she does have a short temper, and she knows that she has a wick side; but it's not all consuming (which I feel it never is in her books, more so in the others books).
It's developmental, so I guess it's important, but hasn't made a result yet

Still, the Drode is someone I wish we had a back story on. WTF is he anyway?!
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:46:41 AM »
The single-digit password is a cracker!!!
Even the Pemalite ship's computer-voice sounded naively pacifist.

And, yeah, a background on the Drode and his 'species' would have been good. The Drode is an interesting character. He kinda reminds me of the way Anthony Hopkins played Hanibal Cannibal; everytime he would taunt the Animorphs individually, based on their agenda, he would nail it.

On the flip-side of the same coin, RYTX, I reckon, lies the Pemalites and their service to spread life throughout the universe in the Ellimist's game. Don't you think the Ellimist did the same thing with the Pemalites themselves?!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
Yeah, but at the same time (to our knowledge) he never had a single representative; Pemalites are to Ellimist what Howlers are to Crayak.
The Drode seems to be more or less on individual Crayak picked out like an evil prophet, as opposed to his Howler army.
The Ellimist had his "army" too, but no standard bearer; no one figure contrasted the Drode, in a relation that was other wise as ying-yang as it gets
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 09:57:41 AM »
oooh re read still going on! Yay. I'm handling the LJ one now, and we're on The Diversion there.

But I can never come up with decent questions in my own opinion.

I liked the Pemalite ship stuff at the end of this one. Some of it's funny. Umm, I'll come back later with more thoughts.