Author Topic: More stealth? Less action?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
More stealth? Less action?
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:49:15 AM »
The Animorphs got into a lot of battles. They also did a some of sneaking around, but there was at least one fight per book if I'm not mistaken. Does anyone else think it would have been better if there were much fewer fights, and it was more about stealth?

It would have been more realistic in the sense that in real life, fighting against enemies that have you outnumbered and outgunned is suicidal. Kind of like a game I used to play on the PC called Commandos. You have a small group of people with various skills that need to rely havily on stealth because they can easily be killed otherwise.

On the other hand, kids would probably be bored without a certain quota of action packed fights. So I'm not sure if going totally Commando or Splinter Cell would sell very well for a kid's series.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
Re: More stealth? Less action?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:36:01 AM »
Well, they did usually TRY to keep things stealthy... But they got caught a lot, so... *shrugs* They rarely planned to go into battle.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline agentAK

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »
I think it's actually more realistic with more fights. I mean, if they could walk around the Yeerk pool virtually undetected that would be stupid. They'd have to be caught a decent number of times or else it'd be like an idiot godmodding on an RP.
RAF marrying Estrid so we can wear pretty dresses!

Offline ChimichangaChupacabra

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:03:04 PM »
I didn't mind the fights, just when it got all out of hand with 30 Hork-Bajir or and 10 infested SWAT with machine guns or whatever.   :P

When it was a handful of Yeerk-controlled everyday citizens, maybe a cop or two, a stray Hork or Taxxon, that was all cool.  I just hated the whole "5 predatory animals fighting a phalanx of guys with assault rifles" BS.  Good thing that was pretty rare.

The little skirmishes were great though, like when an infiltration mission went bad and they were dealing with security and all.
"WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!" - Bale.

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:23:49 AM »
All sneaking and little or no fighting sounds a lot like the TV show to me, actually. While I admit no less than 1 (major/minor) battle per book was a little odd the battles were actually what a lot of people read the books for. I'm going to agree that the major battles were a little ridiculous (some were fun though) but the skirmishes and stuff felt right.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue