Author Topic: The Yeerk Brain  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
The Yeerk Brain
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
Something that has always fascinated me is the capacity for learning that Yeerks have. I mean, think about it. Within thirty years (earth years) they went from building basic tools to building space ships that could rival their Andalite enemies. True, they had a basis of Andalite and other ships to steal from, but the fact that they were able to comprehend it all and apply it to creating new technology is amazing to me.

It's kind of like taking a caveman, giving him an airplane and thirty years later they're building their own airport, with a full fleet.

We always talk about how adaptable humans are, but I think Yeerks are infinitely more adaptable than us.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: The Yeerk Brain
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:04:46 PM »
Well if that caveman could take the memories of its teachers instantly, then it would be quite easy. Don't forget that whatever those pilot hosts knew, they knew too. That's the reason why they were able to comprehend it and utilize it so well.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline EmberGryphon

• Dust from a Distant Sun
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »
But only one Andalite was ever a Controller. Alloran, way after the Yeerks had already built Bug Fighters and Blade ships- they never had access to their teacher's minds and memories. The only hosts the Yeerks had when the Andalites were first showing them spacecraft were Gedd, and it's implied through the series that they're pretty useless with technology...

I agree, the fact that the Yeerks could comprehend, engineer and build that fast is pretty impressive. =o

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »
I'm not sure how they handled the Andalite craft they first stole, but then they moved on to capture some Onganchics, and some other creatures before they came to the hork-Bajir Homeworld. They had some help.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline EmberGryphon

• Dust from a Distant Sun
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »
...Alright, I s'pose that's true enough. ^^() Touche~

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
Ax mentions, repeatedly that Yeerks have trouble with innovation.  Now that might just be his wounded Andalite pride talking.  But, judging from Visser 3's failed research fiascoes, it seems like he has a point.

But: the Yeerks never captured an Andalite before their rebellion.  They flew Andalite ships off their home world with Gedd hosts.  They use Taxxon hosts for most piloting duties, even though Taxxons had no experience with space flight before joining the Yeerk empire.  So at the very least, Yeerks are able to teach each other.
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline CDJV

• Sadist :)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:03:09 PM »
Taxxons were hardly ever sued as hosts, so I think their capacity for learning is another issue to be discussed.

Now then, who here has read War of the Worlds? Seeing the movie doesn't count, you have to have read the book. Anyways, the aliens in that book were basically giant brains with eyes and tentacles.

I think the yeerls are similar: They're small brains in the form of slugs, with little falanges to propel them around. They're alloud to not have a stomach or other similar organs, since everything they need is from the kandrona. So perhaps that's why they could learn so fast: Their brains had nothing to do but learn and learn and learn. it might also be why they could actually take over hosts brains: they were already mostly brain themselves.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 05:26:24 AM »
Now there's an interesting thought...

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »
Yeerks are highly intelligent as a race. That's what fascinated Prince Seerow to begin with. The only reason they hadn't advanced before the Andalites came was due to the fact that they were handicapped by the lack of a functional physical body. There only real option for infestation was the Gedds, who were stupid and physically unfit for performing complex tasks.

Once the Andalites arrived, all that changed. Seerow taught the Yeerks more then they could have learned by themselves in over a century, and that's before they rebelled and stole a decent amount of Andalite technology for themselves, along with the vast computer data bases on board the Andalite ships.

Despite this, the fact remains that almost everything the advanced technology the Yeerks have is stolen, or at the very least based on stolen knowledge or technology. Sure they've come up with their own ideas and inventions, but they only got that far because of all the knowledge they've taken from the races they have enslaved. And yet at the same time they have the nerve to claim they're better than humans!  ::)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:22:01 AM »
Yeah, the Yeerks are definitely fast at adapting. Regardless of their knack for reverse-engineering or copying to their own. But Nohensen does bring a good point. They don't just acquire technology and abilities, they uncover skills and memories of every host they molest.
Before the Andalites, all the Yeerks had was their own social government system, beyond their parasitic life. And their world provided them with a habitat for that.
I like CDJV input as well. I never thought about the fact of a being that never evolved spending energy in digestion and so on. Maybe this is precisely what Nature made them evolve into the sentient race.

As long as we are talking about Yeerk's brains, what about how the long-term ingestion of instant ginger and maple oatmeal releases them from the Kandrona dependency.
HOW does a substance REPLACE a brain cell?! They can get away with the fact that they are aliens and have an unknown physiology, but HOW would that work???

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 04:57:52 AM »
well it would help if we knew what was in instant ginger and maple oatmeal... does that even exist?

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 04:58:53 AM »
well it would help if we knew what was in instant ginger and maple oatmeal... does that even exist?

ya know, i really don't know morf...

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 05:50:49 AM »
Does a Yeerk???

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 07:15:19 AM »
Thanks for bringing this up, I just thought of an interesting idea that I might use in my fic later on...
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »

It doesnt. At least it didn't when I was a kid because I tried like crazy to find it, if it was ever a flavor of oatmeal it's gone the way of the Unicorn . . . killed by Homer Simpson--erm I mean extinct. Maybe I could mix two different flavor packages together? Then I'd have twice as much oatmeal to eat and that's just wasteful . . . still it's for science right? I dunno.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue