Author Topic: Group Re-Read: Week 14, The Andalite Chronicles  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: Week 14, The Andalite Chronicles
« on: November 09, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »
Summary:
His name is Elfangor-Sirinial Shamtul. An Andalite war-rince. The one who gave five young humans the ability to morph into any animal they touch. They are still out there, fighting an evil so powerful there isn't a moment that goes by when they can actually feel safe. There story continues. But this is how it all began.

Fic Prompts:
1) Write a story/one-shot about Arbron on the Taxxon Homeworld after the Andalites leave.
2) Write a story from the Ellimists pov while the events of the AC are unfolding
3) Write a story about the moment of Alloran's infestation from either Alloran or Esplin's pov.
4) Anything else related to the AC!!!

Questions

1) Comment on Elfangor's character. Do you think that the war changed him much? How? Do you think he still retained his 'idyllic fantasies' about being one of the key factors in winning the war (since he is.  :P)?

2) Arbron. Our favorite person to pity. What do you think happened to him in the time between AC and when he appears at the end of the series? What do you think about his situation in general?

3) Knowing about Alloran and Esplin's past, do you think it's fitting that they end up together? Ironic?

4) Is it actually Elfangor's fault that Alloran becomes Esplin's host?

5) Why does that darned Ellimist keep getting involved!?

6) Is Tobias Elfangor's biological son? As in, do you think the Ellimist kept the DNA from Elfangor's human morph in tact or do you think he changed it to the other man who took 'Al Fangor's' place?

7) Do you think Chapman changed? Why/why not?

8) What do you think about Elfangor and Loren's relationship?

Feel free, as always, to add your own questions or ignore my stupid ones

Next Week: Animorphs #13: The Change

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-Read: Week 14, The Andalite Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
1) This book was definetly cool because for about 13 books you only hear about Elfangor as the hero, the great warrior matyred for his cause. Then this book comes along and says "no wait, he was a screw up too, thrown into something bigger then himself," kinda like 6 other kids we know so well. Which is all well and good (though it got annoy to see oh yeah, Dak, aldrea, toomin etc etc all in similar situations)
2) I'm amazed he didn't die. Who knew Taxxons could live 30+ years. I figure he must have been hidden away part of the resistance, somehow must have been smuggled down to Earth when they realized that it was the new focus, but honestly, it blew my mind to find out he survived.
3) Fitting? No. Back like they say, karma's a b*tch. I can't say he deserved it, but that was a hell of retribution
4) Yes. It's not to say the slug didn't put any work into it, but if it wasn't for Elfangor, that wouldn't have happened
5) I don't know. It bugs me. It wasn't so bad in this book, but how he goes about it, finding out he lets the guy write a last statement, it's agitating.
But what kills me is that with all its mention here, how do they never manage to explain his role with the time matrix?! It irks me.
6) Yes.
7) Yes and I don't like it. From seeing him as a father who sacrificed everything to save his kid in one book, basic just being a puppet for the rest of the series, here we see that no only is he as evil as any yeerk, they're whole invasion is HIS DAMN FAULT! Okay, maybe having a kid softened him up, but I'm amazed a guy like that would have settled for a live in the 'burbs. The kid in this book was like a precurser to David. blech, they could have don so much more with him
8) Meh, mushy, but tastfully done. Alright by me.

Phew, nice set a q's this week teach ;)
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
1. I think one of the ways war changed Elfangor the most was how he viewed the whole hero thing.  One of my favorite parts of TAC was when the capt. asked Elfangor to be a hero for the people, and he realizes how much it's going to suck.  As for his perspective of thinking that he was a key factor to the war, I think he knew he had to fight, but he still had doubts if he was going to really accomplish anything.
2.  I always knew Arbron had to make some sort of appearence in Animorphs.  I was so disappointed when it didn't happen in #43.  Come on, Tobias morphing a Taxxon practically screamed the possibility.  As for what happened to him, I think he did the best he could with the situation dealt to him and handled it better than most.  Between TAC and Animorphs, he obviously remained part of the resistance, and I like to think that he smuggled himself to Earth instead of it happening via Yeerk capture, but I think that is up for debate.
3 & 4.  I agree with RYTX
5.  Here's my theory:  The Yeerks were targeting Earth.  Since Earth had no resistance at the moment, humanity would be lost.  The biggest consequence of this would be that the Yeerks would finally have the numbers they needed and most likely defeat the Andalites and the rest of the universe.  (It has been mentioned a few times during the series that sheer numbers can be a compensation for lack of sophisticated technology.)  The Ellimist couldn't let that happen, so he interferred.
6. Yes. 
7.  Chapman changed, and I like to think that it was because he grew up and had a kid, but maybe it was because there were side effects to the memory wipe.  After TAC I felt less sorry for him, so I didn't mind it so much when things like buffa-human happened.  I think what frustrates me the most about the Chapman situation and much of the events of TAC is that the Animorphs never find out. 
I liked Loren and Elfangor's relationship.
Out of curiousity, do you think the Pemalites and the Chee had anything to do with the Time Matrix?  It would explain why the Time Matrix was on Earth in the first place.  Also, didn't the Skirt Na find it underneath a pyramid, and the Animorphs always reference Erek helping to build the pyramids.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:55:56 PM »
I love how everyone is so 110% sure about #6. So if Loren and New Husband had a divorce and subsequent custody battle and somehow paternity got dragged into it and they're on Jerry Springer the paternity test would reveal that New Husband is not the biological father of Tobias? Hmm...

It does bother me that the Ani's never 'officially' learn about TAC. I mean, its assumed that they know it at some point, b/c they mention Tobias and Ax's relationship, but I would have liked to find out how they found out and what their relationships were.

Out of curiousity, do you think the Pemalites and the Chee had anything to do with the Time Matrix?  It would explain why the Time Matrix was on Earth in the first place.  Also, didn't the Skirt Na find it underneath a pyramid, and the Animorphs always reference Erek helping to build the pyramids.

Very interesting observation, and entirely possible. The question then would be why would a pacifistic race who is the product of the Ellimist want to create a time-machine?

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »
Well, you could as way the ellimist needed to make one too
He seemed to get along fine without it
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »
Well, you could as way the ellimist needed to make one too
He seemed to get along fine without it

Well, we know that the Time Matrix belonged to the Ellimist, so to speak, but why would he have a hand in its creation? Like you said, he doesn't really need it. He's perfectly at ease time jumping without it.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:20:35 PM »
Why would a pacifistic race want to build a time machine? You ask that like there's nothing good that could come from time travel?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline demos666

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Satan is dad, hell is my home.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:36:59 PM »
the could go back and take the Pemalites to there earth lair
My Theme song is The Number Of The Beast-Iron Maiden
Save a fire, Burn a tree
I put the laughter in manslaughter
“I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” - Winston Churchill
"Vidi, Vici, Veni." - Julius Caesar
"Hope is the first step to disappointment" - Librarian, Blood Ravens

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:26:17 PM »

I think that's a major possibility. Actually, I'll be playing with this idea in my Pemalite Chronicles fic.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »
Teach: The Jerry Springer scenario is fun to imagine.  However, I think Tobias is Elfangor's biological son because when Elfangor was looking at the timelines, his and Loren's still intersected.  Also this is what I think the Animorphs know of TAC: Elfangor had adventure involving the Skirt Na (but obviously no details); he grew tired of war, and the time he spent missing was on Earth...; the Ellimist intefered, and the Animorphs find out about Arbron, but I don't think they know Arbron's whole story either.

As for why the Pemalites & Chee might have created the Time Matrix:
1. Maybe it was originally meant as a way to save themselves from the Howlers --like they would go back and warn themselves.
2. Maybe it was tool they were going to use to help achieve their mission of spreading life.
Or
3. Maybe they were like Doc Brown, Sam Beckett, etc. and thought time travel would just be the coolest thing ever.  (I like this explanation.)

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 04:33:04 AM »
I always thought they found out from tobias after #23 when tobias finds out.

Offline V2113

• Recently Returned Raffian, RRR
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 07:19:02 PM »
They do.

I don't fell like expressing my opinions on any of these questions except for the Tobias/Elfangor one.

Tobias is most definitly Elfangor's son. When Elfangor is looking at the light waves thingies that are like lives he sees his and Loren's and he sees another line coming from that one. Tobias.

Tobias felt connected to Elfangor from the start. I doubt that the father who died when he was a baby even really existed, it was probably a story that the Ellimist implanted into the policemen's brains or whatever. And I bet Loren remembered everything between her and Elfangor until the crash seeing as she still remembered that vision of Andalites.
I used to be V, before that I was Tobiasfan21. Then I disappeared for several months after being kidnapped by the Twilight series. Don't make me talk about it, it was horrible. Now, I'm V2113.

I am currently a Heroes fan who enjoys writing more than anything in the world.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 10:45:52 PM »
They do.

I don't fell like expressing my opinions on any of these questions except for the Tobias/Elfangor one.

Tobias is most definitly Elfangor's son. When Elfangor is looking at the light waves thingies that are like lives he sees his and Loren's and he sees another line coming from that one. Tobias.

Tobias felt connected to Elfangor from the start. I doubt that the father who died when he was a baby even really existed, it was probably a story that the Ellimist implanted into the policemen's brains or whatever. And I bet Loren remembered everything between her and Elfangor until the crash seeing as she still remembered that vision of Andalites.

I disagree with the end of that. I think that the Ellimist erased Loren's memory, as he promised, and the car crash was unrelated. I do think that maybe the accident or maybe some intentional cracks in her memory left by the Ellimist existed. That was why the most Loren could remember of Elfangor was a flash of blue and a feeling.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 11:02:22 PM »
hmm...I have two theories:

1. I think the Ellimist erased Loren's memory, and caused the car accident so that humans would have a reason for the sudden disappearance of her memory.

2. The ellimist completely erased her memory, but the car crash caused some of the memory to resurface (like the flash of blue).

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »
I agree with your second theory morf. I think that if the Ellimist wanted to he could have erased his memory and made it so no one else noticed the sudden loss of part of Loren's memory. He probably replaced her memories with memories of something else (like meeting and falling in love with the guy who replaces Al Fangor).