Author Topic: Group Re-Read: Week 12, #11 The Forgotten  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: Week 12, #11 The Forgotten
« on: October 27, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
Summary
There's been an accident. Someone crash-landed a Yeerk Bug fighter. And the Yeerks have been trying to cover it up - quickly. But not before Tobias spots it. So the Animorphs and Ax decide to steal the ship to show the world that Earth has been invaded.
That's when things go terribly wrong. Before they know it, Jake, the other Aniorphs, and Ax find themselves in another place. Another time. And there's no way home...

Questions

1) The main theme of this book is Jake's leadership ability. How do you think he is handling the task of leader so far?

2) The Sario Rip that is created sucks everyone into the past, by one day. But, according to Ax, in reality only Jake is actually there and the other Animorphs are merely a memory, existing only in one timeline rather than two. How did this happen when all of the Animorphs went down with the Bug Fighter? Why does Jake alone feel the affects of the Rip?

3) Visser Three actually outsmarts the Animorphs! ZOMG! Why doesn't he ever succeed in doing this in the main storyline? Do time shifts make him smarter?

4) One of the most memorable scenes to me in this book is when Rachel is being covered by ants, wakes up, jumps in a river, only to almost be attacked by piranha's. She then denounces the rain forest angrily. What do you think of KA's interpretation of the rain forest?

Next week we will be reading #12: The Reaction

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Re: Group Re-Read: Week 12, #11 The Forgotten
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »
1) The main theme of this book is Jake's leadership ability. How do you think he is handling the task of leader so far?

As well as anyone in his position can be expected to do.

2) The Sario Rip that is created sucks everyone into the past, by one day. But, according to Ax, in reality only Jake is actually there and the other Animorphs are merely a memory, existing only in one timeline rather than two. How did this happen when all of the Animorphs went down with the Bug Fighter? Why does Jake alone feel the affects of the Rip?

Jake is the one who was snapped back to the "past" and erased the timeline, so he is the only one who remembered it. If I recall correctly, the other Animorphs didn't die, they were being kept alive by the Visser. However, Jake was killed so his consciousness snapped back to the other version of himself, where he was then able to prevent the whole thing from ever happening. If one of the others had died first, then they would have been the one who was affected by the flashback effects of the Sario Rip.

3) Visser Three actually outsmarts the Animorphs! ZOMG! Why doesn't he ever succeed in doing this in the main storyline? Do time shifts make him smarter?

Everybody knows that time shifts make all villains smarter!  :P

4) One of the most memorable scenes to me in this book is when Rachel is being covered by ants, wakes up, jumps in a river, only to almost be attacked by piranha's. She then denounces the rain forest angrily. What do you think of KA's interpretation of the rain forest?

I think it was a very realistic view of the rainforest, and nature in general. Nature can be harsh and cruel at times, but that doesn't stop it being amazing and it doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything we can to try and save it.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 05:36:49 PM »

Leadership of this variety is a burden that many are unsuited for.  Many leaders have made mistakes.  I understand that.  But Jake seemed to be maintaining until now.  We see him finally break from the pressure.

Perhaps a KASU or a time paradox thingy.

Every villian has their day.

According to Most Extreme, piranhas doing that is unlikely, unless they're starving.  I have never been to a rainforest, so my experiences on this are pretty much nonexistant and moot.  Besides, as was said in The Capture, Earth is a tough place.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:56:28 AM »

way better than i would've, that's for sure.

That's why you should never try and understand time traveling stuff.

He outsmarted them in book 5 (but visser one outsmarted him).
He outsmarted them in book 8 and escaped.

It's not completely good or completely bad (like everything else in the animorphs world).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:58:42 AM by aquwaigher »

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 01:37:39 AM »
The main theme of this book is Jake's leadership ability. How do you think he is handling the task of leader so far?

Up until this book, he was doing great, and then in this book it seemed to be one mistake after another, but I liked that, as it showed he's only human, and a child at that. Of course he's bound to make mistakes and I'm glad it was finally addressed.

The Sario Rip that is created sucks everyone into the past, by one day. But, according to Ax, in reality only Jake is actually there and the other Animorphs are merely a memory, existing only in one timeline rather than two. How did this happen when all of the Animorphs went down with the Bug Fighter? Why does Jake alone feel the affects of the Rip?

Not a clue. I didn't understand that part AT ALL and it only makes my head hurt when I try thinking about it.

Visser Three actually outsmarts the Animorphs! ZOMG! Why doesn't he ever succeed in doing this in the main storyline?

Cause then the series would have a very quick run if he succeeded in ever killing them like he did here.

One of the most memorable scenes to me in this book is when Rachel is being covered by ants, wakes up, jumps in a river, only to almost be attacked by piranha's. She then denounces the rain forest angrily. What do you think of KA's interpretation of the rain forest?

I loved it. I thought she portrayed it a lot more accurately then I expected her to.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 11:42:03 AM »
it only makes my head hurt when I try thinking about it.

Time travel will do that.  Perhaps KAA deliberately wrote it that way so it WOULD hurt the readers' heads if they thought about it too much . . .

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Mira

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »
I think there is another, better, question about this book.

Visser 3 killed a hork-bajir in the rain forrest. Why didn't everyone disappear back to the right reality that time?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 01:22:59 PM »
Obviously because that one guy didn't change plans. He did the same thing the second time that he did the first, on penatly of pain or death.

Ani-Master 2014!