Author Topic: Do we really want an adaptation/general adaptation discussion  (Read 13689 times)

Offline Tim Bruening

Re: Do we really want an adaptation/general adaptation discussion
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »
A movie would sure be a good way to celebrate Animorphs' 20th anniversary!

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
I s'pose so!
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »
Damn.... RAF needs a holiday on June 6th 2016 for the Animorph's 20th
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:38:20 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2015, 11:46:14 PM »

Wow!  K.A. Applegate marked the anniversary of the D-Day invasion of Normandy by publishing a novel about an alien invasion of Earth!  Did she request D Day as the publication date of "The Invasion"?

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 02:39:58 AM »
To Dsbp re-posting the article, it doesn't really matter if MyTrackingBoard is standing by their story.  They have faith in their source, and that's fine, but this is all third-party information.

We've heard directly from both Katherine and Scholastic (though Katherine, but still, she's checked with her people there) that there aren't any plans.

News outlets stand by their reporters and sources all the time, doesn't mean their source is right.  Just that their bosses don't doubt them.  Happens with movie stuff all the time.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2015, 06:35:59 AM »

Wow!  K.A. Applegate marked the anniversary of the D-Day invasion of Normandy by publishing a novel about an alien invasion of Earth!  Did she request D Day as the publication date of "The Invasion"?
I didn't realize that anyone had recorded the exact date Animorphs went on sale!
To Dsbp re-posting the article, it doesn't really matter if MyTrackingBoard is standing by their story.  They have faith in their source, and that's fine, but this is all third-party information.

We've heard directly from both Katherine and Scholastic (though Katherine, but still, she's checked with her people there) that there aren't any plans.

News outlets stand by their reporters and sources all the time, doesn't mean their source is right.  Just that their bosses don't doubt them.  Happens with movie stuff all the time.
^
|
This.
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »
I'd like to trust that my favorite author is right on this whole movie biz, but at the same time, AniTV happened without Applegate/Grant knowing. Multiple articles (I'll find the article and post them later) about AniTV, have said that Applegate/Grant weren't even told until halfway production of the first episode....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:10:29 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 06:16:50 PM »
Hmm. Food for thought.
yeah

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2015, 02:19:47 AM »
I'd like to trust that my favorite author is right on this whole movie biz, but at the same time, AniTV happened without Applegate/Grant knowing. Multiple articles (I'll find the article and post them later) about AniTV, have said that Applegate/Grant weren't even told until halfway production of the first episode....

That'd be an interesting article to see if you've got it.  :)

They definitely didn't have any say in the show, seems odd they wouldn't have been aware in a broad sense that it was happening though.

And yeah, we're not trusting Katherine alone on the movie denial, we're trusting Scholastic.  Both the creative voice and the business element are saying it's not in the pipeline.  My issue is, why would Scholastic deny it?  Not even just to the public, but when Katherine approached them about it?  There's no motivation in doing so.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2015, 09:15:37 PM »
I've been thinking about the way I'd do the TV series. Here's a little bit of what I'd want. Ideally it'd be a 2D-animated series with 12-episode seasons.

[spoiler]
Season 1: The first episode would be very similar to The Invasion. In the battle at the end, a Hork-Bajir would scream the name of a fellow warrior as its friend dies, giving a slight implication that the Yeerks could be deeper than Elfangor said. These little things would continue throughout season 1. In the penultimate episode, that would come to a climax with The Departure. Cassie's butterfly-ness is permanent, however. The finale would be AC... without that weird Time Matrix alternate universe and wheel monsters.

Season 2: The last third or so of the season would start with The Decision, but the characters would get into space differently. The characters would stay in space for more than just that episode, though. They'd be stuck out there, and be taken to the Andalite homeworld. Why weren't the Andalites on Earth? Well, it's because their last troops were at the Battle of Leera.

Most of the homeworld is controlled by Yeerks.

The Animorphs and Andalites put up a good fight, but not good enough. The Andalite homeworld is destroyed. Few Andalites survive. The only survivors (save for Ax) are turned into Controllers.

Too different? Maybe so.

Season 3: Episode 1 is a double-length episode. The first half would be similar to 45, minus the contact with the homeworld, of course. The second half is basically 49. We have the final arc, and everything's the same except that the losses for humanity are bigger and we have the V3 VS Ax thing I've mentioned before. Also...

Ax leads a group of humans on an mission to the Andalite homeworld using the ships they stole in the S2 finale. No one returns; the Animorphs investigate. They cross paths with the Blade Ship. It is holding the crew of Ax's ship. They have Ax hostage, still (relatively) free. They tell the Animorphs to retreat - we'll mind our own business, thank you very much. They're outgunned and all that, but the Animorphs stand their ground. The controllers threaten to kill Ax if they don't leave. No one moves. Ax is killed.

See, at this point, the Animorphs can't let the Yeerks skate by. With all that stuff left on the Andalite homeworld, they're free to take anything that works. They could rise to power again.

"Ram the Blade Ship!"

Both parties are killed.

The Yeerks are dead, but so are the Animorphs. Who won?[/spoiler]

Does this suck? Probably. Is it full of plot holes? Probably. Do I think about changes I would make way too often? Yes.

I'd love you to throw your opinions/suggestions/bricks at me!
yeah

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2015, 12:32:47 AM »
I've been thinking about the way I'd do the TV series. Here's a little bit of what I'd want. Ideally it'd be a 2D-animated series with 12-episode seasons.

[spoiler]
Season 1: The first episode would be very similar to The Invasion. In the battle at the end, a Hork-Bajir would scream the name of a fellow warrior as its friend dies, giving a slight implication that the Yeerks could be deeper than Elfangor said. These little things would continue throughout season 1. In the penultimate episode, that would come to a climax with The Departure. Cassie's butterfly-ness is permanent, however. The finale would be AC... without that weird Time Matrix alternate universe and wheel monsters.

Season 2: The last third or so of the season would start with The Decision, but the characters would get into space differently. The characters would stay in space for more than just that episode, though. They'd be stuck out there, and be taken to the Andalite homeworld. Why weren't the Andalites on Earth? Well, it's because their last troops were at the Battle of Leera.

Most of the homeworld is controlled by Yeerks.

The Animorphs and Andalites put up a good fight, but not good enough. The Andalite homeworld is destroyed. Few Andalites survive. The only survivors (save for Ax) are turned into Controllers.

Too different? Maybe so.

Season 3: Episode 1 is a double-length episode. The first half would be similar to 45, minus the contact with the homeworld, of course. The second half is basically 49. We have the final arc, and everything's the same except that the losses for humanity are bigger and we have the V3 VS Ax thing I've mentioned before. Also...

Ax leads a group of humans on an mission to the Andalite homeworld using the ships they stole in the S2 finale. No one returns; the Animorphs investigate. They cross paths with the Blade Ship. It is holding the crew of Ax's ship. They have Ax hostage, still (relatively) free. They tell the Animorphs to retreat - we'll mind our own business, thank you very much. They're outgunned and all that, but the Animorphs stand their ground. The controllers threaten to kill Ax if they don't leave. No one moves. Ax is killed.

See, at this point, the Animorphs can't let the Yeerks skate by. With all that stuff left on the Andalite homeworld, they're free to take anything that works. They could rise to power again.

"Ram the Blade Ship!"

Both parties are killed.

The Yeerks are dead, but so are the Animorphs. Who won?[/spoiler]

Does this suck? Probably. Is it full of plot holes? Probably. Do I think about changes I would make way too often? Yes.

I'd love you to throw your opinions/suggestions/bricks at me!

Holy Blake's 7!

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2015, 01:28:45 AM »
Some cool ideas in there, YS, it's plotted out nicely over a couple of seasons.  Just strays way too far from the source for my liking, would really want to see something more of a direct adaptation.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2015, 05:22:05 PM »
The destruction of the homeworld was a way to avoid the whole 'The One' deal. I needed a motive that was as intense as the introduction of a new enemy, and I figured that the [spoiler]Andalites'[/spoiler] extinction fit. I also figured that it fit the series's theme involving the price of war and the negative impact it has. But yeah, my changes were too extreme. How would you remove 'The One?' Or would you keep it in?
yeah

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2015, 06:05:28 PM »
The destruction of the homeworld was a way to avoid the whole 'The One' deal. I needed a motive that was as intense as the introduction of a new enemy, and I figured that the [spoiler]Andalites'[/spoiler] extinction fit. I also figured that it fit the series's theme involving the price of war and the negative impact it has. But yeah, my changes were too extreme. How would you remove 'The One?' Or would you keep it in?

After the TV series ends with [spoiler]"Ram The Blade Ship"[/spoiler], then film a movie featuring the efforts by our fearless heroes to [spoiler]rescue Ax from "The One".  I am confident that Animorph fans would jam the theaters to find out who The One is![/spoiler]

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
[spoiler]Why do you want to keep The One in the series?
Also, I would want to go a few minutes after "Ram the Blade Ship" and have the actual destruction or lack thereof.[/spoiler]
yeah