Author Topic: Do we really want an adaptation/general adaptation discussion  (Read 13683 times)

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
Re: Do we really want an adaptation/general adaptation discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 01:19:00 AM »
Geki, Ender's Game did age up the kids pretty significantly, and it's one of the fan's major problems with the movie adaptation.  I actually liked it for the most part, they got the spirit more or less right, but it's admittedly seriously neutered from the book material.

Dpsb, I'd totally disagree with that.  You don't want some horror-movie slash-fest for this, no, but it all goes to the tone, the suspension of disbelief.  In a superhero movie, say Batman or Cap who're punching and kicking people around, you don't need to get graphic, that fits the tone.  And people with actual superpowers, you don't need to get into the hard-hitting crunchy violent immediacy.  They're fighting with laser bolts & freeze-vision and telekinesis and stuff.

With Animorphs though, the difference is that they're fighting as animals.  By nature, that means teeth & claws & actual physical trauma.  You could get away from that with a more breezy & upbeat tone, make it more of a superhero-y thing, but I'm sure none of us want that.

What I always loved about the books as an adolescent is that they didn't treat us with kids-gloves with the awful stuff.  The battles are mostly all small-scale skirmishes, not some big "epic" heroic trumpety-music-plays victoryyyyy thing, and that each little bite & scratch & bruise hits home and feels real.  There are consenquences to the stuff in Animorphs, it's not some invulnerability hero story. 

Again, it doesn't have to be a hard-R bloodbath, but you absolutely have to make it more visceral & intense than say a The Dark Knight or The Winter Soldier.  Not from a gratuitous point of view, but because it all seems ridiculous if that stuff isn't there, it actually effects the story and how seriously you can take it.  People get hurt, people get injured, and the kids have to deal with all of that.  For the story to even work, these kids have to go through absolute hell, and you're not likely to see that when there are big financial interests involved.

I'm not saying you actually show Erek walking into that building after reprogramming himself and starting to pull Hork-Bajir limb-from-limb and cave people's faces in.  It's still gotta be PG-13.  Just a harder PG-13 than the vast majority of the stuff we see with these adaptations, latter-movie Hunger Games or Harry Potter isn't going to cut it here.

The flick that always goes through my head as a reference point would be Terminator 2, for intensity.  Obviously just without all the cussing.  That thing would likely be PG-13 nowadays, if it weren't for the f-bombs, and it's both a step down from the brutality of the original but still feeling very immediate, visceral, impactful.  Hits have consequences, there's real peril.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:40:43 AM by NothingFromSomething »

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »
YES. Hard PG-13/Between medium and high TV-14.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:02:03 AM by YeerkSalad »
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 08:59:47 AM »
Geki, Ender's Game did age up the kids pretty significantly, and it's one of the fan's major problems with the movie adaptation.  I actually liked it for the most part, they got the spirit more or less right, but it's admittedly seriously neutered from the book material.
I wouldn't mind if they aged up the characters to around 15-17 in the first movie (I've always assumed they were 13 in the first book, and by the end of the series they were 16.) Using child actors is always a gamble, so it would be much easier to use 18 yr olds and say that they are 15. That's what most any movie ever has done. Also, I couldn't hope for hot animorphs if they were 12.
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
I'd go for more or less the ages they are in the books.  Why not?  It's not like it can't be done, the kids in Super 8 were wonderful, the early Harry Potter movies.  The Goonies.

You've just gotta do it right, and have enough faith in the material to not dumb it down because the characters are middle-schoolers.  It'd just feel so wrong having, you know, highschool juniors, at the start of the series.  All of these characters should be homeless, grizzled, living-in-the-forest guerrilla warriors by the time they're old enough to drive.  That's half the impact.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 09:58:35 AM »
*high fives laptop screen, has to buy new laptop*

By the way, according to KA and Grant a movie isn't happening.
yeah

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
Yep.  Did Michael make a separate post or something?

Katherine seemed pretty sure it was speculation though.  Especially given her response says she checked with Scholastic, if the company knew anything they have no motivation to keep it from her, pretty sure they own the property overall, not like the authors can sue for not being involved with a potential movie.  They were work-for-hire back then from what I understand, it might be different now with Gone and stuff, but technically Scholastic doesn't need to ask permission here.  No motive for not just being open with them about it if it were happening.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:33:44 AM by NothingFromSomething »

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »
Actually that may not be the case,
((checks Micheal Grant's twitter))
"ATTENTION: the story from @MyTrackingBoard regarding an ANIMORPHS movie is false.  Reliable sources at Scholastic deny that there is a deal."
Or not....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:37:57 AM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »
Might not be the case?  :huh:   He's basically confirming what his wife said.  Same thing.

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »
Might not be the case?  :huh:   He's basically confirming what his wife said.  Same thing.
Refer to the or not... and crying child I put at the end of the post
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »
This suit is-a-BLECK-not, says Borat.

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:17:17 PM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2015, 07:58:35 AM »
I've seen that before. That's why I said "according to KA and Michael Grant."

Why do you want a movie so much? I think it'd be cool, but I'm fine with Animorphs as it is.
yeah

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »
I've seen that before. That's why I said "according to KA and Michael Grant."

Why do you want a movie so much? I think it'd be cool, but I'm fine with Animorphs as it is.

A movie would provide new material for us to discuss, and raise the profile of Animorphs in our society.

What can we do to make a movie more likely?

Offline Dylan

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »
A movie would provide new material for us to discuss, and raise the profile of Animorphs in our society.
Exactly what he said. Nothing new has come from animorphs in along time.  It's something new and exciting, it's gonna be something that brings new discussion. Animorphs won't seem like some weird obscure thing only forum going hipsters know, it will get the attention it's been deserving for the last 10 years!!!!!!!
Waffles. Nuf' Said.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »
Hmm. I like the hipster thing, but it would be nice for Animorphs to bounce back to the mainstream.
yeah