Author Topic: Utterly Amazing Plot Hole  (Read 390 times)

Offline Tim Bruening

Utterly Amazing Plot Hole
« on: August 08, 2015, 11:58:49 PM »
Book 10 quote:

<How did you convince the Yeerks that you are one of them?> Ax asked him.
          Erek turned off his hologram and became a machine once again. And then the front of his head
        split open. Inside his steel and ivory head was a chamber, just a few inches in diameter.  And inside that chamber was a gray slug,
        helpless, unable to escape. Tiny wires, no thicker than hairs, wrapped around it.
          <Yeerk!> Ax hissed.
          "Yes," Erek said. "The Yeerks believe I am human. I accepted infestation. But of course the Yeerk cannot make a Controller of me. I made a
        place for him instead. He sees nothing. Knows nothing. I tapped his memory, not the other way around. And now I can pass among the Yeerks like one of them."
          I had two reactions. One, I was sick at the thought of that Yeerk, trapped inside a steel cage. As much as I hated Yeerks, it seemed harsh just the
        same. But another reaction was much stronger. We had an ally! A powerful ally. An android who could pass as a Controller, who could enter Yeerk society. And an android with many powers of his own.
          "How do you keep the Yeerk alive without Kandrona rays?" Cassie asked.
          See, every three days a Yeerk has to return to the Yeerk pool to absorb Kandrona rays. Without that, they die.
          "I am able to use my own internal power to generate Kandrona rays to keep this Yeerk alive," Erek explained. "When I go to the Yeerk
        pool I am able to trick the Yeerks into believing that my Yeerk is swimming in the pool. I generate a hologram of a Yeerk leaving my ear
        and dropping into the pool. Later, I create a hologram of it returning. The Yeerks never notice that they don't encounter this Yeerk actually
        in the pool. Yeerks communicate very little in their natural states.

Erek tells the Animorphs how he fools the Yeerks by allowing a Yeerk to crawl into his head and imprisoning it.  CASSIE asks Erek how he keeps the Yeerk alive.  He responds that he can generate Kandrona radiation to keep the Yeerk alive.

Book 29: Cassie, having rescue the Yeerk dissident Aftran from the Yeerk Pool, is thrashing around trying to figure out how to keep her alive.   Amazingly, she doesn't remember Erek telling her of his ability to keep Yeerks alive!  Nor does Erek (right there in the barn with her) remember that conversation!