Animorphs Section > Animorphs Forum Classic

Do you guys enjoy the "David" books?

<< < (3/9) > >>

Shenmue654:
I feel like the books tried a little too hard to make David basically Sid from Toy Story. And Sid himself turns out, in a later film, to be just a normal below-average person. I never really believed in David's privileged-white-male kind of evilness to any extent...And that might be because I actually met him. Many times. That's what happens when you're surrounded by kids with bad parents and learning disabilities.

The most extensive relations I ever had with a "David-esque" kid were with two people: One of which could have become David and instead became a very close friend (Roleplaying heals all wounds! :P) and the other of which went rather bad. I can tell you that most kids who act like David feel powerless, and they've bought into a kind of exaggerated masculinity that they see perfected on TV. They want to be heroes, but they don't want to be generic paladin white bread heroes because this kind aren't "cool." When their skills and talents are acknowledged, they can become some of the most intelligent and practical people you'll ever meet, and great contributors of ideas. That's what happened with my close friend. : ]

The kid who did "go wrong" was annoying as all get-out and I basically invited him over because he was in my elementary school class. One time, he showed up at my house with a girlfriend out of nowhere and told me he'd run away from a psychiatric RTC. He also told me that those times at my house were fun. He seemed very frightened, and like a lot of really terrible stuff had happened that he wasn't willing to share. We talked up old childhood memories, and then he left. I never found out what happened.

And if David's merely "a sociopath," he still doesn't come across as quite believable. I've met three of those, too. :P With that said, if you throw out the idea of David himself the Animorphs got a lot of juicy character development in those books. I honestly like the fact that they were dicks to David--- That actually was believable. If you've ever had a group of friends large enough, you will start to think of it as an exclusive club, and you will treat newly entering members a bit dickishly.

TheWolfEmperor:

--- Quote from: XenoFrobe on December 28, 2016, 08:21:40 PM --- David should've been the one instigating stuff and causing the rift, not the Animorphs.  That's my main issue.

--- End quote ---

As a group character development exercise, it works in the long run because when they recruit the Auxiliary Animorphs, they remember the mistakes they made with David and tried not to make them with the new group. Before David came along, they didn't even know the morphing cube was still in existence, much less had they ever considered the possibility of having to recruit and train a new Animorph.

Dylan:
22 is one of my all time favorites in the series imo

Dogman15:
A proper TV or film adaptation of David's story would allow for more character development of David. What would you add to a screen adaptation of the David Trilogy to improve it?

NothingFromSomething:
Just switch the "bad" to Spawn comics and the "good" to Megadeth music.   :P

I mean, come on, Marco knows better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version