Author Topic: What do you think of these creature effects?  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Yorick Brown

What do you think of these creature effects?
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:51:31 AM »
For a live action TV show or film adaptation.

The Hork-Bajir are puppets/CGI, the animals are trained/CGI, the Taxxons are CGI, the Leerans are CGI, the Andalites are puppets/people in make-up and costume, the Chee are CGI/puppets, the Helmacrons are people in make-up and costume, the Nartecs are people in make-up and costume, the dinosaurs are puppets/CGI, the Veleek is CGI, the Venber are puppets/CGI, the Iskoort are puppets, the Yeerks are leeches and slugs.

Well?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 12:03:09 PM by Yorick »
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
Re: What do you think of these creature effects?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 03:56:48 AM »
If by puppets you mean animatronics(wtf sp?), then all is good. ^_^.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 05:00:08 AM »

The Hork-Bajir are puppets/CGI, the animals are trained/CGI, the Taxxons are CGI, the Andalites are puppets.people in make-up and costume, the Chee are CGI/puppets, the Helmacrons are people in make-up and costume, the Nartecs are people in make-up and costume, the dinosaurs are puppets/CGI, the Veleek is CGI, the Venber are puppets/CGI, the Iskoort are puppets, the Yeerks are leeches and slugs.

Well?

CGI i don't really worry about, but puppets?

If by puppets you mean animatronics(wtf sp?), then all is good. ^_^.

ok, animatronics may work, if the makers HAVE A BIG ENOUGH BUDGET!

thats the only thing stopping a better animorphs show... in my opinion.

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:57:43 AM »

The Hork-Bajir are puppets/CGI, the animals are trained/CGI, the Taxxons are CGI, the Andalites are puppets.people in make-up and costume, the Chee are CGI/puppets, the Helmacrons are people in make-up and costume, the Nartecs are people in make-up and costume, the dinosaurs are puppets/CGI, the Veleek is CGI, the Venber are puppets/CGI, the Iskoort are puppets, the Yeerks are leeches and slugs.

Well?

All good except the Andalites, they should not be ppl in costumes they should either be comepletely CG! or anamatronic
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »
If it had to be puppet/animatronic the two things that spring to mind who could do it best would be: The Jim Henson Company and Guillermo del Toro. That's just my opinion.

I shudder whenever I hear "andalite" and "people in costume" put together. Angora sweaters! GAH!

Today's CGI would make things look absolutely kick butt. Though they would need a decent sized budget behind them cuz that sort of CGI ain't cheap.

Taxxons...totally CGI, there's no other way in my mind.

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »
If it had to be puppet/animatronic the two things that spring to mind who could do it best would be: The Jim Henson Company and Guillermo del Toro. That's just my opinion.

It's my opinion too.

I mentioned puppets because of the great work that the Jim Henson Company did on Farscape and Labyrinth.

(I also liked the puppetry used by the late Stan Winston and ILM on Jurassic Park and many other creature features.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 12:06:30 PM by Yorick »
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline wolfev

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
Andalites would have to be CGI and make up. Like the body would be done with make up and the rest would be added in later. You can't use a horse body either, that was always a a mistake I think. They should be more deer to get away from the centaur thing.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
Actually, I was surprised that Applegate via her human characters always described Andalites as blue furred half-men, half-deer rather than blue furred centaurs which is so much clearer.

Only once in The Other did I hear an Andalite described as a centaur.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:37:08 PM by Yorick »
Who's doing this?

Offline wolfev

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »
It would be interesting to see how thought speak works, or who would do the voices.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »
I always wondered why they didn't just say centaur instead of half dear half Human. I assume most people know that a centaur looks like.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 04:34:38 PM »
I'd prefer a motion-capture CGI - I just think that's the best with moements and such.  It'd probably work on all of them, but you still have that human interaction there behind it. 

Like Any Serkis playing Golum, only they'd be much better effects by now.  But at least then the movements would seem natural, as opposed to artificial, like a muppet.
Not all who wander are lost

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:35:56 PM »
Thought-speak is easy.

The actors who play Andalites in human morph do the voices for thought-speak which is just a regular voice that the audience can hear but the characters 'hear' as telepathy.
Who's doing this?

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
Hmmn. Interesting concepts. I'd suggest, perhaps, that some of the close-up Hork-Bajir be tall actors in suits that are green/blue and fitted out with reflective sensors in the way that you'd make Gollum and Yoda (new Yoda, not puppet Yoda). Have martial artists and coreographers play them, to get the fighting scenes truly perfect.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
The Golden Compass got things right with the way they handled animals on there (It seemed to be a mix of real trained animals and cgi ones). If they get some of the special f/x people from there on Animorphs, then I'll be happy. Either that, or Peter Jackson.

The aliens shouldn't be anything other than CGI. Animatronics and puppets for close up shots, maybe, but they'd have to use that sparingly if they're doing large battle scenes.

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »
WETA did the f/x for The Golden Compass and Peter Jackson' s The LOrd of the Rings Trilogy.
Who's doing this?