Author Topic: can they just aquire a morph from a morph? and can one morph a nothlit?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Acalio-Laron-Jaham

dunno if this has been discussed before, but here goes.

I was wondering, howcome they don't make things easier for themselves and acquire morphs from eachother? like say for example, acquiring giant squid is dangerous as it needs to be done in deep water, and it needs good timing. so they get cassie - an estreen who has those skills in morphing etc. to go acquire the squid, and then she simply morphs into it, have the morph under control and then swim over to let her friends acquire her squid morph. if they did this, it would have saved them alot of time and hassle, as opposed to having to acquire each morph individually one by one.

and to my second question, can someone morph a nothlit??? say for example, jake morphs into human tobias, and then gets stuck in tobias's human form. could the real hawk tobias (assuming he got given back his morphing powers, but didn't get given his own DNA back) simpy acquire the 'jake-who-is-stuck-in-tobias's-human-morph' so he can morph into his human body again? i mean, jake in tobias human morph literally is physically tobias in every physical way right? since morphing is an exact physical replica of an organism.    
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:26:15 AM by Acalio-Laron-Jaham »

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
It said in the books that they couldn't acquire a morph from each other. Specifically, I know it says so in #11.

As for the second question... I'm not sure.

Offline comet266

I would assume that they wouldn't be able to acquire DNA from a nothlit, because it would still be acquiring DNA from someone while they're in morph (albeit stuck in morph).  As Genies pointed out, we've been told in the books that they have to actually acquire DNA from an original source and can't acquire it from someone in morph.

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
they cannot aquire from a morph, it says so in number 11

they can aquire from a nothlit (lauren does it in number 49)
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline MoppingBear

i dont know, tobias is a special case because he was given back his morphing power.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
Yeah, but considering Ax never said anything about how it shouldn't have worked or whatever, it might be a safe assumption that nothlits become aquireable again.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
I disagree. in book eight, I think,  Ax laments about not being able to have tobias's form. I don't remember if it was said out right or not, but I'm pretty sure it's because it was because he was a nothlit, and pre-Ellimist meddling
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
I would think that you wouldn't be able to morph a nothlit for the same reason you can't morph someone else's morph.  I think the technology just prevents the altered or unnatural dna from being replicated...I think it doesn't let you copy a copy.  Even if you're a nothlit, you're still a copy of something.

I always imagined morphing technology - and I don't recall ever reading this in the books, correct me if I'm wrong though - sort of like...grabbing and wrapping up the dna someone acquires and putting it in proverbial plastic wrap, saving it and storing it for later when it's going to be used, but when it's not used, it can't replicate, it can't bind to anything else.  I would imagine it would have to be that way, otherwise you wouldn't be able to control the morphing, and every animal you acquired would alter your appearance permanently.  Sort of like sterilizing the cells, like...making it so that they can't reproduce or split on their own,... neutering them. :)  So a neutered animal can't have kids, neither can a sterilized cell, so there's no ability to copy a morph from a morph...

...dunno if that makes any sense, but I tried...
Not all who wander are lost

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
I disagree. in book eight, I think,  Ax laments about not being able to have tobias's form. I don't remember if it was said out right or not, but I'm pretty sure it's because it was because he was a nothlit, and pre-Ellimist meddling

Yeah, but that was because he wanted to add Tobias' human DNA to his own human morph.  I don't think there would have been a problem if he had wanted Tobias' hawk DNA instead.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
Oh, yeah! Thanks Liz ^_^ I was trying to remember that scene... I couldn't until you said something. He was indeed expressing that he wished he could have had Tobias' DNA to mix into his human morph.

Salem's Story

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
Re: can they just aquire a morph from a morph? and can one morph a nothlit?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 06:37:35 PM »

i dont know, tobias is a special case because he was given back his morphing power.

yup. ellimist breaks the rules.
otherwise, there's no acquiring nothlits.

and i figured that animorphs would have tried to acquire animals while in morph; it would have made so many things easier.

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Something slow an bittersweet
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
I always figured it like this: During that two hour time limit that someone is in morph their genetic structure is in flux and can't be acquired. However after this time the genetic structure stabilizes making that person a nothlit and allowing someone to acquire them.

Offline roguebluejay

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »
I always figured it like this: During that two hour time limit that someone is in morph their genetic structure is in flux and can't be acquired. However after this time the genetic structure stabilizes making that person a nothlit and allowing someone to acquire them.

That sounds about right.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »
but if they were stable, then it would make sense for them to be able to get the morphing power again.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »
That depends entirely on how the morphing technology measures whether a person has the power. Stable DNA isn't necessarily all there is to it.

Salem's Story