Author Topic: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts  (Read 237700 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts
« Reply #2235 on: November 05, 2015, 07:12:33 AM »
This is like Dumbledore gay to me: if the author wants that, fine, but put  it explicitly in the series. Claiming it by word of god after the fact is stupid, annoying, cowardly and done only to be edgy.

As for Marco/Ax, don't get me wrong, I think they had a special relationship, but I doubt it was sexual, or romantic.
There where times though I thought they were better friends then with Jake/Tobias, respectively

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #2236 on: November 05, 2015, 07:50:57 AM »
I definitely ship Marco and Ax. I don't ship Marco and Tobias. Rachel can get the feathery glob of meat, not him!

Edit: oh wait. That sounded very sexual.
yeah

Offline NickDaGriff

• RAF's resident geeky gryphon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #2237 on: November 05, 2015, 07:55:43 AM »
I feel like sometimes people are overeager to slap a romantic/sexual label on relationships.  Personally, I enjoy a strong, uncomplicated lifelong platonic relationship between two people that just get each other.  Just because two people like spending time around each other and really click together doesn't make it romantic.

Yeah, that's something that would have to be in the series itself for me to consider it canon.  I mean, it's not like the characters weren't already doing things that were a million times more edgy and controversial.  The way it was said in that tweet, in context, felt kinda like pandering without even fully dedicating to it (what with the specific way he qualified the statement with a debatable opinion).
[spoiler=A writer at heart:]
My sequel fic, Animorphs #55: The Following
My first Memoirs fic, A Geeky Gryphon's Origins

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #2238 on: November 05, 2015, 08:15:39 AM »
+1. Thank you. This basically sums up what I feel about what I like to refer to as "the Tumblr generation". Quite a few fandoms I'm in have this problem to a way worse extent, or maybe I only perceive it that way because I'm aware of the vast amount of fanfiction. Either way, it does feel a bit like how JK Rowling keeps adding new Potter material every other Wednesday - yes, the younger fans who recently got into it will lap it up, but to readers like me who were around when the books were still in the process of release, and grew up with the anticipation and planning of stuff around a release date, it sort of feels too much like milking, money-wise or otherwise. And I'm not the only one, lots of other HP fans I've talked to shared this sentiment.

TL;DR - the tweet did feel like a last-minute reply to shut the commenter up, lol. I've followed MG for a long time now and a lot of his tweets are in the same blunt, sarcastic way I usually use, so I'm extrapolating. :P

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #2239 on: November 05, 2015, 09:07:05 AM »
I am going to go write a tobias/marco fanfiction now :inlove:
Obvious Sarcasm isn't Obvious :P
I could think of a whole lot more cringe-yer ships.

MarcoMcKitty 4life OHMAIGADJEEBUS
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:11:18 AM by Dpsb5 »
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

guitarhero01234

« Reply #2240 on: November 05, 2015, 09:25:51 AM »
You mean like OwlSalad? :P

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #2241 on: November 05, 2015, 01:13:32 PM »
Thanks for that reminder. I just died laughing again. Best RAFparty ever.

Offline menderash

« Reply #2242 on: November 05, 2015, 04:29:20 PM »
TL;DR - the tweet did feel like a last-minute reply to shut the commenter up, lol. I've followed MG for a long time now and a lot of his tweets are in the same blunt, sarcastic way I usually use, so I'm extrapolating. :P

Hi! I'm the person MG was tweeting to, lol. To defend myself, MG is a really cool dude and all that we did was have a pretty interesting discussion about reading Animorphs as a young LGBT fan (myself!) and how I interpreted and identified with the characters (read: Marco, who I identified with the most) growing up. It wasn't me harassing or rambling on at him. He asked me how I felt about diversity then as a kid versus how much diversity there is in media now that I'm an adult, and I was a little surprised at his receptiveness and apparent interest in what I had to say! So I answered his question and then thanked him for being so open and willing to listen to an LGBT fan, since he's such a big champion of diversity in his newer books and all. And I figured that was the end of the conversation, hence my "thank you for listening" tweet sounding so final, but then he came back with the tweet linked in this thread and surprised me.
If you don't feel like scrolling through twitter though, someone posted the meat of the conversation here -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Animorphs/comments/3rkiqz/michael_grant_just_nonchalantly_tweeted_that/

So pandering? Maybe. Maybe he just wanted to make some poor gay girl's day. (More like he made my life, though, lol!) Pulling a Dumbledore? In the barest definition of the trope, I guess so. But for someone, an LGBT person, who's been identifying with these characters and hoping for a sliver of diversity or representation for roughly fifteen years, if even outside canon and just Word of God, it feels like so much more. Thx for listening RAF. \m/

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #2243 on: November 05, 2015, 05:41:31 PM »
I loved the little conversation between you guys. And your "ramble" was very eloquently put. Welcome to RAF :)
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!

Offline vivaria

« Reply #2244 on: November 05, 2015, 09:11:02 PM »
I'm sorry but I have to say that it's pretty frustrating, as someone who is gay, how people suddenly lament over how undervalued platonic ships are almost exclusively whenever the mere possibility of gay ships are mentioned. It's just a huge downer to come on here after Marco's confirmed to be bi only to see people complain about it.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #2245 on: November 05, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
I'm totally fine with him being bi. I think it's just the fact that Grant seemed to be doing it as sort of a "yeah sure whatever you guys want" thing rather than something he really thought about and believed.
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #2246 on: November 05, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »
But for someone, an LGBT person, who's been identifying with these characters and hoping for a sliver of diversity or representation for roughly fifteen years, if even outside canon and just Word of God, it feels like so much more. Thx for listening RAF. \m/
SAMEEEEEEE! It's almost kinda fitting Marco narrated the gay andalites are okay andalites book
Also, I saw this tweet because of reddit. What I said in the post here is basically the same thing I said on Reddit.

Also, Someone beat me to my the my cringefiction.

*Note: I reposted this because my original post had bad I-was-typing-quickly-on-my-phone grammar.
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #2247 on: November 06, 2015, 12:32:59 AM »
I did read the entire conversation, which is why that tweet felt like that. I still stick to what I said, though I see where you're coming from: getting a reply from your favorites just makes your day. :D

And vivaria, you misunderstood what I was getting at. I have no problem at all with gay pairings. I've doubted my own sexuality for years. It's only when fans tend to take every second character and make them gay in a headcanon for the sake of coupling up everyone, that it gets bloody annoying. And this even applies to straight characters.  Random coupling. Being in the Marvel fandom, I've seen that **** happen a lot. Because there's different things that come out of platonic and romantic relationships, and random and/or mass coupling just sort of muddles the group dynamic the characters are supposed to be having.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #2248 on: November 06, 2015, 01:14:10 AM »
The October 31 Doctor Who episode featured Zygons, a reptilian alien race whose members can change form, similar to the Animorphs!

[spoiler]The Zygon Invasion: As part of a peace treaty, 20 million Zygons have settled on Earth and taken human form.  However, some of the Zygons are dissatisfied and have decided to take over Earth, using their shape shifting abilities to eliminate their opposition, which includes the Doctor!  As the episode ends, a Zygon disguised as the Doctor's dear friend and Companion Clara fires a missile at his plane.[/spoiler]

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #2249 on: November 06, 2015, 07:48:50 AM »
I think you meant to put this in TRT.
yeah