Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 224241 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #4545 on: August 14, 2013, 08:33:52 AM »
Oh please. If I had Claxter do something just because it made sense, Corliss/Mike and Terenia would be dead. You do not try to infest an unconscious Andalite in front of other Andalites with some vague statement like "they need each other". Also "because he's nice" is not much justification for letting someone live that enslaved one of Claxter's kind. This is what plot armor is all about. I don't know much about Tamora. Maybe it made loads of sense for Terenia to kill her. I don't really buy that you have to go through with it because it makes the most sense to. It didn't really make sense for claxter to not kill them, no matter how nice a guy he is, or the fact that he doesn't loathe all Yeerks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:36:56 AM by Chad30 »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #4546 on: August 14, 2013, 08:40:35 AM »
I disagree. You do have to go through with something like killing Tamora, if it makes sense and it's a situation the character has been put in. Now, I could have maybe set the situation itself up differently, but I had limited control over that because people who I didn't control were involved (like you, Luke, and Tara). Ossanlin literally dumped Tamora at Terenia's feet and said "deal with her." Terenia's personality at that point in her life didn't allow for any other option. Giving Tamora another chance would have been completely OOC.

Now, admittedly, that's changed since then. Being with the rebellion has stabilized her quite a bit, and she might, if put in the situation again, let Tamora live. But at that point in her life it was literally the only thing she thought she could do while maintaining her belief structure.

As for what Claxter did and didn't do, then perhaps Terenia and Corliss should be dead, or at least Claxter should have made an attempt on their life. But they aren't, because (I assume) Claxter was uncertain enough about his surroundings to restrain himself. You've already played him off as a somewhat cowardly person, at least initially. That's why he ran from the war to begin with. It would make sense then that he would be reluctant to kill someone in cold blood, even if they are doing something he finds morally reprehensible.

Just because Terenia is "human" and Claxter is "Andalite" and Keslin is "Yeerk", that does not mean they behave in certain ways. Those are factors that influence their personalities, but they do not define it. Not all Andalites will kill a Yeerk on sight. Not all Yeerks will infest someone involuntarily. Those are the same sweeping generalizations that get Efaen into trouble.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:42:40 AM by Terenia »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4547 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
It is true that he was completely out of his element, and at least for Corliss knew that Ossanlin considered him on friendly terms. Plus maybe PTSD would keep him from killing someone when they're defenseless. At the time I wasn't certain those were great reasons. I just thought I shouldn't kill off someone else's character. I'm surprised you'd say maybe they should be dead. How different would things have turned out then?

Not that Claxter wouldn't at least try to kill Terenia if she actually did try something on Efaen. Like when he gave her that warning, he didn't want to say <I'll have you put in a cell.>. <I'm going to slice you in half from the hip up> just seemed a bit harsh at that moment.

Still, we'll see.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #4548 on: August 14, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »
Thing is, Chad, it's not just Claxter's personality that defines his actions, his actions continue to define how his personality grows and changes. The fact that he did behave nicely, that he avoided attempting to kill Corliss and Terenia when maybe he feels he should have behaved differently, that's part of his past now, and I think Jessi's right-- it plays well into Claxter's established cowardice, and now it's a part of Claxter's past that he was there and did nothing, for better or for worse. I love seeing how Claxter's grown over the years (and, let's face it, I've been doing a lot of rereading of old Bar posts lately-- he has definitely grown). He's an awesome character ^_^

Darn it, Jessi, making me come up with a background for a character that was never actually intended to be 'onscreen,' and then making it so that I can only reveal a portion of that background through a drunken member of the team hunting that character... Haha :P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:35:34 AM by Arch Aluminator »

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4549 on: August 14, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »
Thanks. I like how Claxter's been developing too. I forget where Claxter came into the story, actually.

I wasn't sure if the guy Elriss is chasing was supposed to be at the bar, or if only she poofed into the woods outside. Hopefully Ike won't go on any wild goose chases, but it seems like his group isn't with him on looking for someone.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:11:19 AM by Chad30 »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4550 on: August 14, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »
Sorry for the delay in the Bar and Rogue Element lately, guys. I'm still kinda busy with work and relaxation. I'll get back on it tonight.

As for me....my problem is that I've never particularly cared for creating characters in the first place. We were always the world-building guys, the people in the Roleplay group who worked out the nitty-gritty of what the culture was and how magic worked and the specific hierarchy rules of the good guys and the bad guys. We were also, given that we were the DM of the bunch, the most admittedly "sadistic" towards the characters. My best friend, Meg, was the real character creator who we supplemented.

When we do play characters, we enjoy messing around with statistical anamolies and other people who are just plain fish-out-of-water. We enjoy working out how a person taken completely out of context reacts to the new context they're in. Who they befriend, who they attack, how their character develops in response to the reactions of other people. We prefer to place limits on what our characters are capable of because the characters most out of context, though the funnest for us to play with the motivations of, are also the easiest to abuse.

Except, well....poor Mr. Perfectly Human Gallant Regale. ;) He's just going to be out of context. XD

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #4551 on: August 14, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
Delays happen. No worries ^_^

And yeah, I'm with you-- I've always leaned towards the worldbuilding first and the characters second, which probably explains why what was supposed to be a simple character designed for one of the RP's in the general board that I started a few days ago wound up taking multiple days to design as I built the entire freaking world around them >.< I think I have an addiction to the characters who are ridiculous amounts of loner...

Jessi, Kelly, I think I have you two to thank for showing me just how much fun it is to be mean to my characters. Things get very interesting that way :P

Salem's Story

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #4552 on: August 14, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
You're welcome? Haha. Kelly has it a bit easier, I think, since she's a world builder. It gives her more freedom to be cruel to characters without suffering the emotional drain.

I become incredibly attached to my characters, and as such it is really painful when something bad happens to them. But I just cannot sacrifice realism and being true to the situation/personalities for my own selfish desires to keep a character alive and healthy. It's why Tamora died. It's why Dom is minus a leg these days. It's why Terenia's past is so bat-**** crazy.

And then you have to take into consideration that something bad happening to one character doesn't occur in isolation. Dan's supposed death impacted Terenia and Tamora both. Tamora's death impacted Terenia, but also those other people in the bar who witnessed it. Luke especially did an awesome job of portraying how Ossanlin reacted to the needless death of an innocent. Mar, too, reacted in a way that was appropriate to his character, feeding off of Terenia's utter despair.

It's a complex, convoluted web! And, unfortunately, if you get to talk to Dan, you'll find he's not much more emotionally stable than Terenia. For different reasons, though. :)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4553 on: August 14, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »
Maybe it's something for me to improve on. I don't really want to kill anyone's character, but I guess if the unthinkable happens, and Claxter finds Terenia trying to kill Efaen, I won't find a contrived reason to not kill her. Nor will I go to the other extreme and have him do something wildly out of character just so he kills her.

I guess I wouldn't be too bothered by him losing a limb, since he can fix it with morphing. As far as any other really traumatic events,  I guess one example might be if Sector Seven is about to catch him, I won't try to contrive a way for him to escape just because I don't want him to be tortured.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #4554 on: August 14, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
Well, yeah, and there's two players here. You could decide Claxter wants to kill Terenia, but he's still gotta be successful at it. :P Terenia isn't just gonna stand there and let him slice her in two, and Terenia has friends just like Claxter does. It's usually more complex than just "I decided you should die! Muahahaha!"

Claxter has had some great development over time, though. He's come into his own. :)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4555 on: August 14, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »
I should have worded it "try to kill". We'll see. I think I said earlier we might be surprised to see him develop a begrudging respect for her. As long as she doesn't  try to kill Efaen, and he has to spend time around her, it will either build friction or he'll start seeing her as a person instead of that Human trash that's responsible for everything bad that ever happened to the girl he has the hots for (in his eyes at least). It will be interesting to see.

I also can't wait until we get to the rendezvous point, and I can have Xevec be paranoid. He'll think you guys just led the Andalites to them, so they'll either be attacked any second, or they morphed some or all of you to lure everyone into the ship. It will be such fun.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4556 on: August 15, 2013, 01:32:06 AM »
Character webs are weird **** man. Sorry. Can't go at it tonight either. Will be back though. And yeah---- occasionally playing a character as they would really react rather than how you want them to means them acting in a way that makes you want to punch them hard in the face. -___-;; Either because they're being stupid, or being a right dick.

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4557 on: August 20, 2013, 01:20:21 AM »
Enter Gallant Regale. Never Roleplayed directly as him before....so this'll be interesting. I technically invented him, but he's absolutely Meg's character in terms of actual usage. At least I have some idea of how his horny, sharp little mind works though. x)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:22:32 AM by Shenmue654 »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4558 on: August 20, 2013, 08:26:17 AM »
I remember reading that bad things sometimes happen when someone plays the piano, and figured I might mess with my character a bit. I don't know what kind of weirdness, though.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #4559 on: August 20, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »
Hehe. "Walk back to Earth." Don't hear that every day.

Enter Gallant Regale. Never Roleplayed directly as him before....so this'll be interesting. I technically invented him, but he's absolutely Meg's character in terms of actual usage. At least I have some idea of how his horny, sharp little mind works though. x)
New character! I'm excited ^_^

I remember reading that bad things sometimes happen when someone plays the piano, and figured I might mess with my character a bit. I don't know what kind of weirdness, though.
Yeah, whatever's associated with the piano is before our time...

Salem's Story