Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 224254 times)

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #4440 on: July 01, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
Oh what the hell. Mar and I can come back too----our previous engagement ended kinda recently. Well, other than law school and Mom----those two are never going to end. If we're going to bring the band back together, we might as well insert all of the instruments.

The whole concept of the GESB is kinda weird. Almost half the characters are powerful self-inserts, but they're written by master Roleplayers with a decade of experience. Anything goes so long as the battles are kept even, so Master Chief's "brother" can coexist with an Ellimist-powered Andalite, a drifter with impossibly valuable artifacts, and a mortal shard of the Devil. All while the alliances and shifting opinions of outcasts in the Yeerk-Andalite war drive the plot.

It's somewhere between being shameless, amazing, emotional, and a twisted reflection of the opinions and friendships of the writers. Fun stuff. <3

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #4441 on: July 01, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
Haha. Well-put. Yeah, the Bar's kind of ridiculous and awesome.

By the by, if you wanted to bring back Mar from the old Bar continuity, I was thinking the Allstone that Salem gave him might have some interesting effects. It could potentially make Mar into... almost a junkie. It refills with energy, quickly at first, then slower as time goes on (exponential regression). When Mar first used it, he was getting several decades' worth of power. Each subsequent 'hit' would be more potent the longer he'd waited- but I imagine each one would wind up being disappointing after that first time, and leave him wanting more, waiting for a shorter amount of time between each 'hit' and thus making them less potent and more disappointing.

*shrug* Just a thought, though ;)

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4442 on: July 01, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »
Ehehehe, that sounds like a ton of fun. ;)

Yeah, we were planning on bringing that version of him back. Along with probably Joanne and Keshin, depending on chosen continuity. Because what the hell---if Myitt can inhabit Tara's own body, then the connections between the writers and the characters can be more...explicit without too many problems. <3

Well that and we miss all the crazy stuff that happened as a result of the eclectic character mix.

Offline General Squall Leonhart

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I am The Lionheart
    • Facebook
« Reply #4443 on: July 01, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
Im all for the reboot too although Im not sure if I want to use my old charies Lucan and Larry. I was working on creating a charie similar to John Crichton ((+ 1 to anyone who actually knows who that is)) for the old GESB, but since it died I didnt get a chance to so this would be perfect.

You should see my other Gunblade. ;)

Bazing Angel is my Flaming brother.......No, no, no he's NOT gay, just Flaming. :P

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4444 on: July 01, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
Hehe, so who starts? Me, maybe? Squall?

I have some free time on my hands. Work is slow. :p

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #4445 on: July 01, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »
Well, question first. Did we just want to reboot the Bar as-is, or are there any tweaks to the setting we wanted to make?

Salem's Story

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4446 on: July 01, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
Maybe make it clear if we want to make sure it's just animorphs universe stuff, and no one powerful enough to make a dracon beam useless.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4447 on: July 01, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »
Hmm. That's...an interesting question, there.

The version of Mar used in the GESB was carefully tailored for balancing reasons for a place where his role was very different. (I.E. In the original universe he was used in, Mar was a GM character----a villain for the other players to overcome. It also allowed the real Mar to show up to play "himself" twice a year and indicate that **** was getting real. XD ) What this meant was that he became mortal in the Bar, vulnerable to attack in all the ways mortals are, and unable to form matter to his liking. This limited his powers to things like flight and occasional telekinesis, and none of it was all that impressive. When he did do something crazy, he was fueled by another character for the sake of preventing character death.

Joanne and Keshin had similar limitations placed by exasperating the spread of their disease. However...

Basically, myself and others bent the rules all the damn time but did it with class and attention to character development. Mar is clearly not from the Animorphs universe, and Joanne has abilities that stretch the limit of the universe believability significantly. So....what happens there? Part of the fun of the place for me was seeing how weird nutjobs like Salem and Rathien interacted with normal rebels.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:31:59 PM by Shenmue654 »

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #4448 on: July 01, 2013, 02:38:22 PM »
So is GESB oficially dead or is someone gonna reboot it?
Seeing this makes me sad. :(

Also, I miss you people. :( And roleplaying. :(

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4449 on: July 01, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »
I guess I don't have a definite answer for that. I just know we've tried not to have crazy stuff like super saiyans and all that crap. Though Parker was pretty borderline too. Any argument he had in favor of Terenia against my characters pretty much would automatically go to him because he had powered armor and a laser sword, as well as a shotgun, while Temrash and Claxter had little more than bone blades and low power laser guns.

Of course I'm still just a newb. You guys do whatever you want with the bar. I'm just along for the ride.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4450 on: July 01, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »
~You're not a newb, dear boy. You've been at this place as long as anyone. Perhaps not the length that we have been playing such games altogether, but certainly half to two-thirds the time we walked the grounds. Your opinions have a great deal of merit here. 

We are at our heart selfish creatures, and prefer to play among that which caters to our interest. Although we enjoyed the politics and concerns of the rebels, we were far more intrigued by the questions of identity that erupted when groups from differing worlds clashed. Perhaps my favorite storyline of all that we were in involved insider trading between one alternate Animorphs universe and the Prime universe.

It is crucial that we prevent the absurd abuses of the place's past, yet we find that the Bar's peculiarities were a crucial element to our enjoyment.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:56:07 PM by Shenmue654 »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4451 on: July 01, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »
I appreciate that. It's true I did start posting in the original thread pretty early, but I still considered myself new compared to you guys.

It is interesting to see different universes collide. Lots of people like crossovers. Probably the rule against powerful individuals is more important than the rule about keeping it in the animorphs universe. It has been said that GESB is about character development more than anything, and it's hard to argue with someone who can flick his wrist and kill everyone. I'd like to say that's the most important rule. Also no bring a character in just so they can pick a fight with the whole bar.

And of course the bartender never speaks.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4452 on: July 01, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
So...what counts as powerful? *Awkward look of awkwardness*

Neither of my characters could flick their wrist and kill everyone, but they did have some pretty unique tricks. It didn't prevent them from getting the crap kicked out of them, though. ;) Salem was just as weak as everyone else but had a ship filled with goodies. He got cornered and screwed over too, repeatedly. 

Basically....having power for its own sake doesn't make for a fun experience for anybody. It just gets the whole Bar pissed off at you and you can't play with the inherent equal ground everyone stands on. But I did want to bring Mar back, and Mar does have if not power the memory and the arrogance of having had it.

I suppose I could destroy his abilities altogether, but then I can't pway with Salem. ;) That's probably fine, if we end up doing that. Hell, it opens up amusing possible sequences. XD
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:21:36 PM by Shenmue654 »

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #4453 on: July 01, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to limit the GESB to only Animorphs characters. And I think you guys have sort of convinced me- the Bar's always been amazingly fun just the way it is. I don't think it needs any fundamental changes. It died just because everyone got busy or turned their attention elsewhere. OP characters are always going to be an issue in an RP like this, but if nothing else, maybe it'll help the writers of those characters learn more about RP writing and character development. Not to mention, it sort of gives the more normal-powered characters a broader situation to deal with, which is also fun, provided it doesn't go too far (at which point we mod it as we've always done).

I'd be okay with just re-opening the place for business as-is. Haha. Let's face it, unique tricks and supernatural craziness and whatnot were half the fun :P The Bar is it's own special kind of crazy.

And Chad, you are definitely not a newb. You've been in the GESB quite a bit longer than I have, and I'm starting to feel like an old fart :P

Also, I miss you people. :( And roleplaying. :(
The feeling is mutual. Roleplaying misses you. Come back!

If you guys like, I can throw together a quick post setting the scene for the reboot, and then we could jump right in.

Salem's Story

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4454 on: July 01, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »
I'm not sure if we should start a new thread, or continue with the old one and just ignore what happened before. We only have an archive thread because there are only so many posts a thread can have.

Ani-Master 2014!