Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 224251 times)

Offline pyrebird

• Please, pet the Anthony!
    • DeviantART
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #2535 on: June 17, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »
I might speak to you, or you can just approach Van. He's pretty much headed to the Bar, and while Ewa is his main reason for showing up there, the poor guy needs a good distraction, anyways. Either from a drink, a good conversation, or just some flirting... I'm pretty much up for anything from here.

He's a little preoccupied by Mar's appearance, though, and has basically forgotten about the status of his ship and its, uh, rather illegal cargo. Heheh.

EDIT: *casts spell* EXPECTO WALLTEXTUM! I edited it a bit to clarify what Van would mean in saying that Mar sounded "drunk". Beryllian is a curious language with multiple accents and dialects, much like how British English doesn't quite equal Australian English, or American English, or even British Canadian English. Also, it's very similar to how even within one little collection of islands, the United Kingdom itself has a rather diverse array of dialects. It's weird. That is all.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:13:51 AM by pyrebird »
I am a little Meglet, I came here to roleplay. And armed with walls of text here, I'm ready to go play!
Meglet, Meglet, Meglet! She came here to roleplay! And with these walls of text here, she'll go and post away!

[Congratulations to weathel for correctly guessing that it was the Dreidel Song!]

Offline General Squall Leonhart

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I am The Lionheart
    • Facebook
« Reply #2536 on: June 17, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
that would be fine pyre but, I'm gonna need a description of his appearence and how he talks and sounds etc. etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:55:56 PM by ShawnN1987 »

You should see my other Gunblade. ;)

Bazing Angel is my Flaming brother.......No, no, no he's NOT gay, just Flaming. :P

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #2537 on: June 17, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Hm...hey Pyre, do you think I should make the Clangst language? I'm not entirely sure Ogreon is innocent of expletives, but I dont think he'd be using english. :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 08:32:30 AM by RAFRukh(Caleb) »
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2538 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:32 PM »
;) That might be fun, Rukh. Character details are the spice of life! XD

Oh, and Amber...that description of the Bar wins the Internet forever. :D

Offline AmberKatira

• Disciple of Protein Purification and Pillar of Condescension
  • Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #2539 on: June 18, 2011, 02:22:10 AM »
Haha

Thank you ^_^
Work is for the weak

Offline pyrebird

• Please, pet the Anthony!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2540 on: June 18, 2011, 08:31:11 AM »
that would be fine pyre but, I'm gonna need a description of his appearence and how he talks and sounds etc. etc.

As of now, he looks like this (DeviantArt link): http://fav.me/d3imzxy
As a more detailed description, he's a humanoid being with a somewhat androgynous appearance. Wide hips, small waist, flat-chested. He's male, but can be easily mistaken for female. Van knows this fact well, and will use his androgyny to his advantage.

Van is probably nearly 6 feet tall, though amazingly, I actually haven't worked that out his height in detail. Heh. He has long hair that transitions from blonde to purple, and odd ears that would appear human, were it not for the fact that they were too long and thus fold over (a little like a dog's, perhaps).

Van's speech moves rhythmically, since he tries to meld Beryllian speech mechanics with English, with varying degrees of success. His voice is typically loud and nasal, holding stresses to some words, and with some odd pronunciations. So, if Van says "bar", it probably comes out as "baaahr", with his pitch rising towards the end of the word. To a human, his speech can range from annoying to rather pretty, depending on how strongly he uses his accent.

Also, Rukh, that's definitely an interesting idea! The choice as to whether a character tends to use their language or not is shaped much by their connection to their culture. So, for example, if Ogreon's Federation was more homogenous, he probably would use Clangst sparingly, or he may actually use it improperly, depending on how rusty he may be with his native tongue. The more homogenous the culture he's from is, the more distant he probably is with the Clangst culture. But, if Ogreon considers his language important, he may use it more often, especially now that he's nowhere near the Federation's territory.

Van's tendency to drop back into his language is just rather fundamental to his character, and exists as a parallel to his attempt to distance itself from his people. He isn't doing too good of a job of seeming "not Beryllian" because he's subconsciously aware that he can't completely sever himself from his roots. So, you could say he's still suffering from a culture shock he experienced in the past.

In fact, a lot of characters in the universe he's from struggles with the question of one's identity and culture, so you could say it's one of the main themes to the overall story...
I am a little Meglet, I came here to roleplay. And armed with walls of text here, I'm ready to go play!
Meglet, Meglet, Meglet! She came here to roleplay! And with these walls of text here, she'll go and post away!

[Congratulations to weathel for correctly guessing that it was the Dreidel Song!]

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2541 on: June 18, 2011, 08:41:07 AM »
Surprisingly, the Alliance was only founded 11 years ago. And the human race contacted them only 1 or 2 years before that. Ogreon is older than 12 or 13, so he probably knows the Clangst language well. He could also deactivate his Universal Translator momentarily, as he mostly speaks Clangst anyway but the UT is there to help, so that others would not understand his swears or certain sentences.

The thing is, I've already created Reptilise(The Language of the Reptilinod) and Ansriae Archaei(The Language of the Ansrians)....ah, what the Khyd/Haul, NERD OUT TIME! ^^

I think this is a lot of consonants :o ~ Understand: Ukndrzpuknd
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:18:47 AM by RAFRukh(Caleb) »

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I am The Lionheart
    • Facebook
« Reply #2542 on: June 18, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »
Well pyre thats an interesting character although I should point out that the visor my char wears has a bioscanner (although no one in the BAR knows this yet of course), so he would automaticallly know youre male and so dont be surprised if he makes a few comments about your appearence. Also hes very calculating and doesn't trust easily so you will have to approach him.

Bazing Angel is my Flaming brother.......No, no, no he's NOT gay, just Flaming. :P

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2543 on: June 18, 2011, 10:24:08 AM »
Just so you know, guys, I'm going to be a bit slow this weekend. Goom is in town, so we're RAFconning it up. I'll try to get in at least one post a day. I don't think it'll be a problem, since all of the people I'm interacting with are limited on posting time too, but I thought I'd give you a heads up nonetheless. :)

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2544 on: June 18, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »
I need some help...this is going to make me look like an idiot, and I'm going to kill myself when I get an answer...

Ok. In 2000 I was 5. Now I am almost 15. Now it's 2011. So 11 years ago, I was five. But...15 - 11 is 4. And somehow I kept getting 2 and 3...GAAAAH I HATE MATH!!!

Nevermind...my mom helped me...I kept counting my birth year...*pulls out knife*

Man...I'm sick, then I keep getting this equation wrong over and over and now...Im dead. Like brain dead. Ttyl, I'll be on tomorrow, I can't think straight...ugh...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:00:45 PM by RAFRukh(Caleb) »

Offline Midnight_Huntress

• The Shadow Walker.....
  • Xtreme Member
  • The Night is my haven, try to get me if you can...
« Reply #2545 on: June 19, 2011, 02:03:59 AM »
I have thought and thought. Been busy with work. Family is annoying. Now I have an ear infection giving me one of those pinding 24/7 headaches. I can't think of a way back in. I want to make an Elfin character but details are sketchy. Ideas?
J-man is my RAFcousin
Broken is my RAFfather
Darth Vader (Shorty) is my RAFuncle
Reunited with my RAFlove Parker

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #2546 on: June 19, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
Hmm...well you could just have your character be from a planet of aliens that look like Tolkien elves an have a similar skill-set.  How he/she would've ended up in the bar is up to you, there are a lot of ways to do it...if she's primitive, it could be a magical mishap, if not she could've landed there.  Lots of ways you could go with that one.
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2547 on: June 19, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »
I'm back after a weekend of no internet. The new house my parents moved into hasn't had it set up yet.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Midnight_Huntress

• The Shadow Walker.....
  • Xtreme Member
  • The Night is my haven, try to get me if you can...
« Reply #2548 on: June 20, 2011, 02:17:04 AM »
I got it now!! Woo! As soon as I can I'll introduce my character. I'm basing the character off a story I read and any history or language I use wll be derived from said story. ^_^
J-man is my RAFcousin
Broken is my RAFfather
Darth Vader (Shorty) is my RAFuncle
Reunited with my RAFlove Parker

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I am The Lionheart
    • Facebook
« Reply #2549 on: June 20, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »
OK I've been trying to figure out who is who and what they are so I can create my own 'cheat sheet', but it is beginning to prove difficult. If someone could help me out on this it would really be appreciated.